Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
First film rolls developed

I just finished developing my first rolls of BW film in many, many years. Although my techniques and timing are extremely rusty, it went pretty well overall.

When I removed the rolls from the tank to dry, I noticed that there are a handful of small dark spots along one edge of the film on one of the rolls. I developed 2 rolls at the same time and the one with the spots was on the bottom of the tank. Both were shot from the same camera. I'll take pictures of it and attach to this thread. In the meantime, any ideas of what might be the cause? My suspicion is that it might have been a few air bubbles trapped against the film. If it were light leaks on the camera, I would think that the spots would be even and run across the entire strip of film (and would probably be on both rolls). It was also the first 2 rolls of film I've ever shot and developed from the camera (an eBay purchase). The tank I used is a plastic Samigon double tank with plastic reels.

I'm very appreciative of all of you on this site, as this site has been tremendously helpful in re-learning everything related to photography!

02-16-2015, 04:21 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Probably air bubbles. Last time I did B&W processing (25 years ago) I seem to remember giving the tank a couple of bangs on the desktop to make the bubbles rise to the top.
02-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likely air bubbles. After every agitation, I rap the tank a couple of times as I set it down.
02-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the very edges of the film where it contacts the reel
will develop/clear more/less than the surrounding film.

Chris