Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Color slide of negative films for traveling

I have a plan to visit Korea in this June for 1~2 month. It will be my last trip to visit Korea so I'm thinking to shoot pics with 50X color slide or negative films with Pentax 67 for my project. Well, I'm worry about choosing films at this moment. I'm thinking to use Provia 100f for now. Well, I feel that I need 400 in order to use in any condition of weather in Korea. If the weather is sunny day, it's fine but the cloudy might be the problem that I can not shoot at F/8. Provia 400X is rare and most of them are expired films. 400h Pro is a good choice but I still don't have a skill to retouch scanned film files for correct colors. Right now, I give up for retouching scanned film files.

If the weather of Korea is sunny day, it's ok but even the sunny day, the shadow area is still a problem to shoot. Should I just use Provia 100f for traveling shooting?

03-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally if your not sure of the conditions I would shoot negatives. If it were me I would use Ektar 100 and Portra 400. Both capture images with enough latitude for a multitude of conditions. You could always take some form of digital camera your comfortable with as a colour reference recorder and as a light meter.
03-05-2015, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Sunshine,
The way times are for reversal films, I recommend you try to overcome scanner color balancing and use C41. Maybe set the scanner to manual/neutral and do the gamma and color balance in post process.
I would recommend Fuji 120 Pro 400H as a main film in July, for as you mention, scenes are often in shadow by clouds or the hilly terrain.
Also the Korean people work such long hours the times for photos are late night or early morning!

Actually some city night photos are interesting. Can you take a tripod?

These photos are with the Pentax MX and (probably) the SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm on f/2.8 or so using Kodak C41 iso 400.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Korea as I always do.
Attached Images

03-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This post brings me fond memories of film (I tried many Kodak Ektachrome and Kodachrome films as well as some Fujichrome) and of film cameras (I used to have an MX too). Now, if you still have time before your trip and grew up mostly in digital photography, try shooting some digital photos of similar subjects than the ones you expect to find in your travel on manual focus exposure and focus and jpeg only. Jpeg format with this flow approximates the workflow of a film camera loaded with slide film. Of course, slide film tends to have a slightly wider exposure latitude than jpeg and color negative film has much wider latitude. You can try experimenting by including in your test shots an economic color wheel from an arts supply store (or if you want to get really techie like me, a MacBeth Color Chart). I hope you enjoy your project.

03-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
This post brings me fond memories of film (I tried many Kodak Ektachrome and Kodachrome films as well as some Fujichrome) and of film cameras (I used to have an MX too). Now, if you still have time before your trip and grew up mostly in digital photography, try shooting some digital photos of similar subjects than the ones you expect to find in your travel on manual focus exposure and focus and jpeg only. Jpeg format with this flow approximates the workflow of a film camera loaded with slide film. Of course, slide film tends to have a slightly wider exposure latitude than jpeg and color negative film has much wider latitude. You can try experimenting by including in your test shots an economic color wheel from an arts supply store (or if you want to get really techie like me, a MacBeth Color Chart). I hope you enjoy your project.

So you mean that I should shoot digital first for checking the dynamic range?
03-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I think he may have meant to use digital jpg as a way to practice playing with color balance.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 08:39 AM ----------

I have a plan to visit Korea in this June for 1~2 month. It will be my last trip to visit Korea so I'm thinking to shoot pics with 50X color slide or negative films with Pentax 67 for my project. Well, I'm worry about choosing films at this moment. I'm thinking to use Provia 100f for now. Well, I feel that I need 400 in order to use in any condition of weather in Korea. If the weather is sunny day, it's fine but the cloudy might be the problem that I can not shoot at F/8. Provia 400X is rare and most of them are expired films. 400h Pro is a good choice but I still don't have a skill to retouch scanned film files for correct colors. Right now, I give up for retouching scanned film files.

If the weather of Korea is sunny day, it's ok but even the sunny day, the shadow area is still a problem to shoot. Should I just use Provia 100f for traveling shooting?

-I think it would probably be a really really good idea to take different film types with you so that you can shoot depending on the conditions.
-In regards to color correction on scanning film, each film will scan and look different and adjusting color balance on these may take practice. If your having trouble with proper prints, there are a variety of parts of your workflow that could be the culprit, maybe your monitor is not color balanced.
-I may be reading between the lines a bit but seems like you really like 400 to ensure you can shoot at f8, and that is a hesitation behind 100x? I wouldn't worry about that at all, shoot the f stop that gives you the depth of field that you want for a particular subject/scene. Load the film speed that applies best to the lighting conditions, and then select the shutter speed that gives a proper exposure. Your shooting a 67 so your likely going to need be on tripod anyway.
-I would really suggest playing with each film you are considering before you go on your trip so you can decide what look you want to go for and get used to how each of them scan. Velvia, Provia and Ektar are all popular for shooting outdoors, Portra is great for skin tones if you are shooting people.

You have the next few weeks to get out and play with all these films and then play with scanning them before you go. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice not familiarizing yourself with the films before you use them on a huge project.
03-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Personally if your not sure of the conditions I would shoot negatives. If it were me I would use Ektar 100 and Portra 400. Both capture images with enough latitude for a multitude of conditions. You could always take some form of digital camera your comfortable with as a colour reference recorder and as a light meter.
What he said...

Steve

03-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

That's the spirit.