Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lomography 100 film, anyone?

I recently shot a roll of Lomography 100 film and I am processing the camera-scanned negatives in Capture One. This film seems similar to Agfa Vista 200 Plus. The color scheme - punchy pastels with lots of contrast - is very close to the Agfa formula. However, I found the Lomo film to be noticeably sharper. The grain looks to be slightly crunchier though. It looks like a fun film to shoot and it exceeded my expectations. I think I was prejudiced against this film because of all the "artsy" shots made on with cheap pinhole cameras. My colors are a little off since I have yet to learn all the qualities of this film.

_IMG1893
by Never Off, on Flickr

Another example of how well I think this film performs. Here's a 100% crop of the next image I am processing.

The grain really drives the sharpening algorithm nuts! Still, I am impressed with the detail in the eyelashes. This film won't beat Ektar 100 but seeing there aren't any other commonly available 100 speed films the Lomo 100 for a good alternative.

I searched the internet to find out who makes this film for Lomography. Is it a custom film created by Kodak? Agfa? Is it an old formula brought back to life? A custom formula with a new color transfer function? The cardboard film carton says the film is made in the USA but that could mean anything. Maybe it's just packed in the USA.

The film was shot on a PZ-20 with a FA 50mm f/1.4 set to f/4 - f/5.6. I scanned the film with my K-3 and D-FA 50mm f/2.8.

04-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks good! And the price is relatively appealing... Can't answer any of your curiosities but will be keeping this film in mind for next time. Thanks. Nice work with the macro scan too! No macro here so tried with close up filters but couldn't get reliable results.. Stuck with the flatbed for now...
04-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Is it a custom film created by Kodak? Agfa?
Is there a code on the sprocket margin on the negative? If the box says USA, then it would be Kodak. Some sources say Kodak Kodacolor VR 100 Plus (aka Gold 100). Lomography packages from multiple sources, sometimes for the same product name, but the country of origin is usually a good clue.

In regards to Agfa Vista 200 Plus, this is usually assumed to be repackaged Fuji product. Agfa-Gevaert quit making films for pictorial photography several years ago*. The company that owns the right sell film under the Agfa name does not have the ability to manufacture film and rebrands product from other makers.

There are only a few makers of pictorial photographic film (as opposed to technical, aerial, and other specialty stuff) left worldwide. There is a list on the Wikipedia

Steve

* Agfa-Gevaert still makes photographic emulsions, just not for regular film cameras. Several Agfa-Gavaert products are confectioned and sold under the Rollei brand.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-08-2015 at 12:26 PM.
04-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a quick-n-dirty picture of the film taken with my iPad.

Does that look like Kodak? It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination for me to connect Lomography 100 to Kodak Gold 100.

04-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a quick-n-dirty picture of the film taken with my iPad.

Does that look like Kodak? It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination for me to connect Lomography 100 to Kodak Gold 100.
The Kodak emultion codes were usually four digits. Not sure what this film is.

Phil.
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On my previous post about this film (Lomography 100 latitude), Steve had provided this link in response -> Lomography Rebranded Film Guide

My impressions about this film are that it has low contrast, balanced color across the exposure range and very manageable grain. Very good value -> Lomography Color Negative 100 ISO 35mm 3 Pack.

Latitude.

Contrast

Balanced color

04-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

How is it for dirt on the negative? I've shot some of their 120 colour film (both 100 and 800), and the amount of crud on the negative was astounding.
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
How is it for dirt on the negative? I've shot some of their 120 colour film (both 100 and 800), and the amount of crud on the negative was astounding.

I am not aware of a specific film that is prone to attracting more crud then any other so maybe you need a different lab?

04-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
maybe you need a different lab?
One issue (apart from cost) that induced my decision to DIY process and scan was that from 2 different processing shops I noticed dust hairs in the same place across multiple frames.

Edit perhaps I should clarify that the contaminated jpgs had hairs in one place across frames from one roll ( done in India), and that caused me to look hard at a roll from another ( done in USA) , and I saw a similar problem.
04-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I am not aware of a specific film that is prone to attracting more crud then any other so maybe you need a different lab?
Last week I took three colour 120 rolls by different manufacturers [Fuji, Kodak, and Lomo*], all shot with the same camera and lens, to the same lab. Two rolls came back clean, and one had little flecks of dirt all over the negative. Want to guess which of those three it was?

Though, like I said: this was their 120, which has been suggested has more quality control problems than their 135. Hence why I asked.

(* Hard to say who the Lomo was actually made by. Most info online suggests Kodak, though the box says "Made in China". Maybe stock bought in bulk and then finished in China?)
04-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Last week I took three colour 120 rolls by different manufacturers [Fuji, Kodak, and Lomo*], all shot with the same camera and lens, to the same lab. Two rolls came back clean, and one had little flecks of dirt all over the negative. Want to guess which of those three it was?
One sample does not provide enough for a conclusion but it is a start of a good observation.

However, I can't provide much input on that since I use the Coolscan+Nikonscan ICE and it always provides clean results regardless of the dust and scratches.
04-09-2015, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Maybe the lab is hip to the whole LOMO thing and rubbed dirt all over the LOMO negs to enhance the "LOMO look".

Chris
04-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Maybe the lab is hip to the whole LOMO thing and rubbed dirt all over the LOMO negs to enhance the "LOMO look".

Chris
For some reason that makes sense!
04-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was hoping LesDMess would chime in. Thanks for posting the latitude test shot!

My Lomo 100 roll came back clean. I did not see any dust embedded in the film. Film attracts a lot of dust due to static cling. Maybe the dust everyone is noticing appeared during post-processing handling. I know dust settles on my film as I camera-scan it. Sometimes I have to take it out of my film holder attachment and pump my Rocket Blower a few times on it.
04-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I was hoping LesDMess would chime in. Thanks for posting the latitude test shot!
You're welcome and happy to chime in as I have - and will continue, to use this film and continue to explore others.

Doesn't seem to have many users here?