Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645N Film Removal and Re-installation?

I just got a new-to-me 645N and I'm wondering about a possible solution to handling partially exposed film.

Let's say I partially expose a roll of 120 film (say, up to frame No. 12), then remove the film (with 4 exposures remaining) as per the manual.

Can I then reinstall the film by simply installing it as if it were completely unexposed and then squeezing off the first 12 frames with the lens cap on until I get to No.13, whereupon I can expose the last 4 frames? The only thing I can think of that might be problematic is that the "N" model prints the EXIF info on the film edge and double exposing the first 12 frames might mess the camera's brain up.

04-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 645 film holders weren't meant to be switched out mid-roll. You could certainly do what you describe if you pull the film holder in a dark room, re-roll it, and reload it like a new roll, but I would worry about exact registration when trying to get it all to line up to the same frame again. You would probably have to waste one frame, since the 645N has such a thin line between frames (the original 645 might be a wee bit easier since it only does 15 frames instead of 16 per 120 roll). Also, as you describe, the camera would imprint new information over the top of any information it had previously imprinted, nullifying it as a feature.
04-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say your better bet is to use a dark film changing bag and take the film out with out removing it from its carrier back, and then placing it in the carrier case. You can then put in a new film. Not sure when you reload the original film, again all done in a changing bag, if the camera will advance the film a few frames to what it thinks in frame 1.

As the previous post said, the Pentax 645 cameras are not really designed for mid roll film changing. If that is really important to you a different brand of medium format camera, for example Zenza Bronica, where interchangeable backs are standard would serve you better.

Regards

Chris
04-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you already have a second film holder, you could obtain an original 645 body as a second camera and just swap lenses between them. I keep a couple around as spares.

04-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
If you already have a second film holder, you could obtain an original 645 body as a second camera and just swap lenses between them. I keep a couple around as spares.
Well, guys, cheapskate that I am, I was trying to figure out a way to avoid an "unnecessary" expense but it really looks like the answer is to come up with the scratch to buy another film holder—at the least—and a changing bag if I want to shoot two types of film. Those little buggers command $150 bucks a copy.

GImme a break!

Bob
04-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think I paid more than $50 for any of my 120 backs. Keep an eye on ebay auctions. Never pay the "buy it now" price.
04-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I don't think I paid more than $50 for any of my 120 backs. Keep an eye on ebay auctions. Never pay the "buy it now" price.
OMG! I just picked one up for $45 (+15 for shipping from Japan) on eBay. I actually went there after reading your post, so thanks!I think I did okay.

All the ones I'd seen up to this one were well into 150 range.

04-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The chances are great that the film will emboss the paper on the film holder, or even worth that the film will stuck in the middle...
04-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 645n is cheap enough it's worth having two. That was my theory, at any rate.
07-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

I'd say goodbye to 4 frames. I tried with one of my film camera's to rewind the film. I'd read how to do it and still leave the leader out so you could go back to the roll later. I can't do it. For 4 frame's I wouldn't expend the effort doing it.