Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Color correction

Yesterday, I visited the film lab for printing color films. When I saw the final results with only few adjustment which is really easier than using photoshop, it was incredible. Well I still don't know how to correct the color exactly. Everyone just tell me to use the photoshop. Guess what? I have to adjust and correct colors from the scanner programs first. Idk what they are talking about and not helpful. How should I adjust the color correctly?

04-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Yesterday, I visited the film lab for printing color films. When I saw the final results with only few adjustment which is really easier than using photoshop, it was incredible. Well I still don't know how to correct the color exactly. Everyone just tell me to use the photoshop. Guess what? I have to adjust and correct colors from the scanner programs first. Idk what they are talking about and not helpful. How should I adjust the color correctly?
Use Photoshop or your favorite image manipulation software. I prefer Adobe Lightroom. If you have your own scanner, you can perform some adjustments at scan time. If the lab is doing the scans, they are being done automated by machine and will reflect the conditions (light and exposure) at the time of exposure. The lab person has limited control over how the scans are done. If you shoot a daylight film under incandescent (tungsten) lighting and get orange people, it is your job to fix it and not the labs.

For optical prints (wet process), you would normally get machine prints which are the equivalent of a machine scan. If you wanted color corrections you would order a custom enlargement with specific instructions for color balance and would pay $$ to have it done, if indeed they could apply the correction.

Steve
04-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Sunshine,
I agree that the documentation for scanners is sketchy and the User Interfaces are a bit clunky.
At least, that is the case for the 2 scanners here.

My method is to set the scanner features to all auto, except switch off auto contrast ( or auto gamma) and switch off auto color correction.

Then the tiff comes out properly exposed, but lacking contrast and usually with a blue cast. If I see that, then I know its a good one.
Then open in a photo processor, and first apply the gamma correction. If you don't know it, then approximately 0.65 is a good start for C41 generally.
That will put the contrast back. Then find a gray object with the eye dropper and do a gray balance.
In some images it might be necessary to do a few trial gray balances before accepting the best one.
If it does not turn out right, then reload the scan tiff and apply the above two in order, so that you apply only the minimum color corrections.

The above method is becoming my standard and I am getting quicker as I go.
Attached Images