Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where do you get your film developed?

After 16 years, I pulled out my old canon AE1, and started shooting my first roll of fuji film. I recently traveled to Europe, shot 4 rolls. On my fourth roll I got to slide 36, then 37, then 38 and thought damn I'm lucky! only to realize that either the film broke off the roll, or it never engaged and I did not take one picture.

So couple questions:

1 - Where would you all recommend getting film developed now? I used to use Ritz camera years ago.

2 - Is it possible to take my camera somewhere and have them figure out what happened to my last roll of film?

Thanks!

04-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Some Costcos still develops film for cheap, $1.60 develop only, $3.60 with small print.
04-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one caution I'd throw out there is whoever you go to, make sure up front that their policy is to return the negatives, assuming you want them. Some places won't.
04-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to know as well. I just inherited a nice camera collection and I'm testing them out.
I shot my first roll since the early 2000's (with one of my swanky "new" Leicas!) and sent it to MPix. I just got a link to my photos which I needed to pay $4 to see. Then I can order prints or scans on a DVD but I'm a little disappointed I can't just download the images.

So I'd also like to know what people do these days. I want the negatives back and I also want to be able to download the scans. I'll also need some 120 developing and maybe even some 4x5. Who can do all that and keep the price reasonable?

04-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrobe121 Quote
After 16 years, I pulled out my old canon AE1, and started shooting my first roll of fuji film. I recently traveled to Europe, shot 4 rolls. On my fourth roll I got to slide 36, then 37, then 38 and thought damn I'm lucky! only to realize that either the film broke off the roll, or it never engaged and I did not take one picture.
The latter is easy enough to do. But try one more shot (can't hurt). If the advance lever still moves as before, then I'd say you're out of luck. But getting 38 shots from a roll isn't unheard of.

I'm lucky in that I have a local camera shop that does C-41 in house. They also do B&W, but I do that at home now. E-6 processors are becoming very rare; mine goes to Dwayne's in Kansas.
04-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Two things you can do to test if the film is winding correctly:

1. As suggested by baro-nite, try another shot or two, but this time, as you advance the film lever, WATCH the film rewind knob to see if it turns.

2. Or, without taking any pictures, just unfold the film rewind knob (don't pull it up, or you will open the film back and expose everything). Then, GENTLY rotate it in the rewind direction. You should feel some resistance within a half turn or so. If you go a couple turns, then the film wasn't loaded correctly -- in which case, stop before you suck the film leader all the way into the canister -- at least you may be able to open the back and start that roll over again, paying more attention to how it is wound over the sprockets.

It is easy to get 37 or 38 shots on a 36 roll, I think I sometimes got 39.

Whenever loading film, it is a good practice to observe your rewind knob, to make sure it turns whenever you advance the film lever, at least for the first couple of actuations. (I think some of the old Pentax film bodies have a little pinwheel indicator mechanism that shows the film is advancing, but I never actually shot film with any of my Pentax film bodies ... anyhow the Canon AE-1 did not have this feature.)
04-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For the OP question, I am not sure what happened. Its happened with my manual cameras and to be safe I stick more through the slot on the take up reel.

I am always open to new locations to develop and scan film cheap. Darkroom.com is fast and efficient and do great scans. I am close to getting a film scanner though. What I have done for the past couple years is develop with a cheap scan (real cheap) locally, then pic the photos I like the best and mail the negatives to Bluemooncamera.com and get pictures developed. Hands down the best with their optical printing. I've done a few large prints (11x14) from Bluemoon and The Darkroom with a high res scan and the shadows and dark regions come out totally different. (Although some foots that look is actually better!). Here is an el-cheapo scan from Ektar 100 and I had a very large print made from Blue Moon just recently:

I guess it depends on the finally destination of your photos. Since I have had who-knows-how-many computers and hard drives crash, I always make prints of the digital and film photos I like and keep them in large art folio folders.

04-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

For the time being, I can still take my C-41 color film to Walgreen's. That said, sometimes the guys get lax or something (like..cheap) and the chemistry fails. I have gone to Sam's Club in my hometown, and they did a pretty decent job for
about $6. However, if you plan to get back into the swing with your film camera I'd approach a real camera store and see who they send their film out to. There are still some big regional laboratories that do a lot of commercial work that my local real shop sends their film work out to. The costs are higher, but their scans' quality is higher than Walgreen's, etc.
04-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am lucky in that a friend I met here on the forums lives nearby and opened a lab. He does mine along with my printing.
04-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Darkroom.

https://thedarkroom.com/
04-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eagle94VT,
One of the source you mention darkroom.com--is it thedarkroom.com?
BTW the cheap scan you show actually looks quite good. Is it theirs? Everyone talks about their resolution, but I find recently the places I tried have very limited DR, and usually unusable.
Thanks.
04-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
is it thedarkroom.com?Thanks.
It's The Darkroom, and the site (as linked above) is www.thedarkroom.com. I use them as well - and have been pleased with the service.
04-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use one of several pro labs in the general Portland metro area. We are blessed in that film photography is alive and well. The price is the same as Walgreen's and Costco and the quality is consistently high. I also have the ability to get services ala carte. For example, I have them do negatives only (no prints), no cut (one long strip), no scan. My lab, Blue Moon in Portland, also provides processing my mail.

http://www.bluemooncamera.com/ProcessingHome.php

Steve
04-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I mail it all to The Darkroom. However, I may be trying Blue Moon soon because they sell and process Minox 8x11 film.
04-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I get a chance I'll take a photo of a print from BlueMoon vs print from a digital scan - side by side. I have a few busy work days to get thru first. Both are good but you'll get different results. If you are just looking for a scan to post online there are lots of choices, but if you like prints, really take a look at Bluemoon.