Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Film exposure issue?

Hey guys, I just started to do some film photography and I have this problem shown on picture. Either my frames come out complete dark or complete transparent,
Could oyu please explain to me whats the cause of this? Light leaks, bad shutter, or both?
Thank you!

06-20-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera? Do you keep a notebook annotating exposure info?
06-20-2015, 02:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Camera is Pentax Me SUPER, I shoot with automode only.
06-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theSixtyEight Quote
Hey guys, I just started to do some film photography and I have this problem shown on picture. Either my frames come out complete dark or complete transparent,
Could oyu please explain to me whats the cause of this? Light leaks, bad shutter, or both?
Thank you!
The ones that appear dark on the negative are over exposed. They have received too much light.

The ones that appear light on the negative are under exposed. They have received too little light.

The fact that the ones that are either too dark or too light show no other details indicates that they are grossly over or under exposed.

Try using the ME Super on Auto and see what the shutter speed is. Then switch to Manual, leave the aperture on the lens the same, and adjust the up and down buttons till neither the over nor under light are lit. The shutter speed value should be the same.

If not, there may be problem with the Auto exposure system.

Also try using the camera on manual to see how the exposures come out.

Also listen to the sound of the shutter. Listen to whether it is sounding too long or too short relative to the indicated shutter speed.

Regards

Chris

06-20-2015, 04:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
@seventhdr thank you!
I checked the auto-> manual settings and it shows/suggests same shutter speeds in manual as in auto mode.
Can it be problem with shutter? (shutter not responding to electronics very well)
06-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a newb film user there is a couple other possibilities. Is the aperture on the mounted lens snappy? If it is oily / slow it can cause over exposure for frames that had small apertures.
Is there a possibility the blank frames are fired of with a cap on in your bag? (hate it when that happens)
06-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Before you load more film try opening the back of the camera and firing off a few frames while watching the shutter and aperture action. The lens should stop down and the shutter should open and close snappily. You may need to try this with some slower shutter speeds to be able to discern if it's behaving as it should.

06-21-2015, 03:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
@matt its not possible for it to shoot while in bag (i dont even use lens cap), lens aperture is snappy so I guess that wont be a problem here
@painter I tried this many times eveerything seems to work (to me) shutter opens always so I can see light coming through it
06-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theSixtyEight Quote
@matt its not possible for it to shoot while in bag (i dont even use lens cap), lens aperture is snappy so I guess that wont be a problem here
@painter I tried this many times eveerything seems to work (to me) shutter opens always so I can see light coming through it
But is the aperture changing at the time you trip the shutter? Is this happening with more than one lens?
06-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
:O Aperture changes aswell while shutter is being released?