Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As for as scanners go, they save them as a TIFF file. The only way to save them as a Raw file (or even a DNG with a Pentax) is to use the DSLR + Macro combination.

If you're looking for a dedicated 35mm scanner, there's this: Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE 35mm Film & Slide Scanner PRIMEFILM XE

07-09-2015, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
ghl

I'm about to embark down the road of digitizing decades of slides and negatives.

I have a F 100/2.8 and I'm just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with regards to what product, or technique, to hold the film/slide assuming illumination from a flash.

Thanks in advance!!
07-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Try something like this :

Spiratone Vario Dupliscope 42mm T Mount 35mm Slide Film Duplicator Copier 25017 | eBay

Make sure you get the right threads on the one end of the barrel so you can screw it into your lens. I got an Accura branded unit that is a little different than this but its similar in spirit. Here's what my K-30 looked like with my attachment.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/258...-film-pix.html

Your flash will need to be off-camera, either wired or wireless. I ripped apart an old monitor and I am using the backlighting to illuminate my films.
07-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
VueScan pro will save files as a DNG.

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

I would recommend it over any OEM software.

07-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
VueScan pro will save files as a DNG.

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

I would recommend it over any OEM software.

You probably don't mean the Nikonscan software that comes with Coolscan.

Coolscan+Nikonscan ICE is better than Vuescan as I understand it due to the proprietary nature and licensing requirements.

Example of ICE using Nikonscan and Vuescan on an extremely scratched up Kodak160VC

Larger version -> ICE on Kodak 160VC

Also, when I comes to default scanning of any film type/brand, I have found Nikonscan to provide the best results. This after having scanned over 20,000 frames of various films wth Nikonscan as well as thousands others using other devices. Below shows the results using all the various settings in Vuescan while using its Koda 160VC profile compared to the Nikonscan default.

Larger version -> Color of Koda160VC