Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
V600 is a really decent scanner and can give you great results with medium format as well if you ever go that route.
I'd have suggested the Pakon as well for that many rolls, *especially* if they're uncut 35mm - it's just a gem and I have one specifically for 35mm neg film, though I use my V750 (not much different than the V600) for everything else. Glad you got a good workflow sorted nonetheless - sifting through old photos is something I've been doing a TON of over the past several months, mostly my grandfathers old Kodachrome slides. Some real fantastic and forgotten shots in those boxes. Hope yours has been as much fun!

09-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
You are lucky! In this area - Atlanta - Walmart DESTROYS the negatives! O the horror! I imagine that the scans on the CD that they return in place of negatives are not too great. Other "big box" stores - CVS, etc, take forever and next year to process C 41. E 6? I shudder to think.
An update. CVS has joined WalMart on the "Dark Side" and no longer returns negatives from C 41, just the prints and a CD containing what are scans probably of dubious quality. Given the "quality" of the job CVS did on an unimportant cassette I entrusted to their "tender mercies" their fall from grace is hardly an occasion for much grief.
09-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
An update. CVS has joined WalMart on the "Dark Side" and no longer returns negatives from C 41, just the prints and a CD containing what are scans probably of dubious quality. Given the "quality" of the job CVS did on an unimportant cassette I entrusted to their "tender mercies" their fall from grace is hardly an occasion for much grief.
Indeed, no great loss.
09-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Glad you got a good workflow sorted nonetheless - sifting through old photos is something I've been doing a TON of over the past several months, mostly my grandfathers old Kodachrome slides. Some real fantastic and forgotten shots in those boxes. Hope yours has been as much fun!
Indeed. It seemed a waste to buy an ancient film scanner that needs to be run in an ancient OS just to run through these rolls.. regardless of the speed or potential quality. One off device for a one off job.

The V600 will find usage in scanning prints too where there is no negative available. It is a nice device, I find. Medium Format was a slight idea in my mind too... maybe one day. I'm not a big film enthusiast.

In any case, my Dad was impressed with the scans.. I ran most of them through the Nik Suite that pulled out a bit more detail and cleaned up a few with issues on the negative. I have many more rolls but I like doing 2 or 3 at a time and sharing those. Less overwhelming with images.. which means we focus on the ones we have a bit more than we would if we knew had a larger stack to cycle through.

09-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pakon is about five years older than your Epson.
I suppose that's ancient in electronics, but not to me.
Then again I prefer 40-year old film cameras.

The Pakon would have been ideal for your project.
I love mine!

Chris
09-23-2015, 03:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

With the pakon you just run a copy of XP on a virtual machine.... its about the speed and quality. I did 50-60 rolls that needed no post processing at all averaging 5-7 minutes per roll. Would have been less if they weren't cut into strips :-)

Glad it's working out for you, I really want to track down some of my parent's negatives if they still have them.