Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D-FA 50mm vs. D-FA 100mm for "camera-scanning" film

I have been using a D-FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro lens for "camera-scanning" my films. This lens is very sharp and I have been very pleased with it. However, there is one aspect of the lens that I don't really like. The front lens barrel is very wobbly when extended. This is not usually a problem but I mount a rather heavy film holder with adapters and spacers. The weight drags down the front element and de-centers the image slightly. I use the Composition Adjustment feature in the camera body to compensate. Depth of Field is not problem since I am photographing a flat surface. I can set the lens to anything between f/5.6 and f/8 for sharp images. (Side note : the front lens element is just fine without the weight of the film holder.)

The D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro has been noted to be sturdier than the D-FA 50mm so it has always been on a wish list of sorts in the back of mind. Adorama's sale, the glowing reviews found here and elsewhere, and having some extra cash on hand enabled me to submit an order. I can testify that the D-FA 100mm is indeed a substantially beefier lens. The focusing ring turns much more smoothly and the front lens barrel doesn't have nearly as much wobble to it. Moving the centerline of the lens requires a bit more force than on the D-FA 50mm. The extra focal length also means that I need to move the film holder out much, much, much further. Thankfully, I have a Lentar branded bellows. This bellows system with the film holder is very heavy and would make most lenses buckle. For my first experiments I stacked books and VHS tapes under the camera and bellows rails.

No vertical composition adjustment is required here. I must have gotten the alignment just right with the correct combination of books and tapes. My capturing process is a little different now. I set my magnification to slightly less than 1:1.5 to accommodate the crop factor (like 1.53 or something) and I focus with the bellows. Using the bellows to focus is so much nicer than the focus ring on the D-FA 50mm. I can achieve what feels like near-perfect manual focus on the flat surface of the film. Focus peaking helps illuminate the grain with the right kind of film. Part of me wants to stabilize this configuration but another part of me like how simple it is. No crazy customization required. Just grab some old books or something and stack 'em up!

I do not notice any difference in the image quality between these two lenses when photographing film. A proper statement would require me to post image samples of the same film photographed with both lenses ... but when I saw there was no difference then I decided to skip the exercise. I'd rather use the time to describe the joy of focusing.

If you want to get started with "camera-scanning" films then either D-FA lens will work well. Pick the focal length you feel more comfortable working with. If you have a bellows then why not use it and enjoy the smooth focusing. However, a 50mm configuration may be easier to put together from scratch. Just be mindful of the weight being placed on the lens barrel. Consider also that whatever lens you get will also be a great non-macro lens. Portraits, nature scenes, product shots, etc will all shine with both lenses. If you already have a 50mm lens (or two ... or three ... or ) then think of the 100mm as a new focal length to explore. Many people get turned off by the idea of longer working distances but I would challenge everyone to embrace it and see where the focal length takes you. You may not be able to get that wide angle family shot but head shots and candids from a distance will be beautiful! Experiment with f/2.8 for good subject isolation or shoot at f/6.3 - f/11 for some depth of field. Most important of all, have fun with whichever lens you pick!

09-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #2

Do you have any examples of the film you have scanned??? on youtube or... pictures from your development
09-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F or FA macro will be super sturdy.
09-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by njohan Quote
Do you have any examples of the film you have scanned??? on youtube or... pictures from your development

I have an album called "Film" in my Flickr account. There are some camera-scanned shots there. My recent scans with the D-FA 100mm are there too. I was trying out Kodak Ultramax 400 to see if I like it (I don't) so those images are not the best ones to highlight how great the D-FA 100mm lens is. What I need to do is scan some reversal film or some Ektar. Maybe next weekend.

10-26-2015, 04:37 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have an album called "Film" in my Flickr account. There are some camera-scanned shots there. My recent scans with the D-FA 100mm are there too. I was trying out Kodak Ultramax 400 to see if I like it (I don't) so those images are not the best ones to highlight how great the D-FA 100mm lens is. What I need to do is scan some reversal film or some Ektar. Maybe next weekend.
Thanx, nice scans :-)

My brother also scans old 8mm film and examples are in this page https://www.flickr.com/photos/94271811@N03/ and also Video examples (100% done videos) on Vimeo in this link https://vimeo.com/user20493099/videos

Last edited by njohan; 10-26-2015 at 04:43 AM.