Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suppose Lomography film could be classified as expired as the boxes I have used show no expiration dates anywhere. I consider it a good performing film in terms of color, contrast, latitude and grain especially when you consider that they are cheap. Here are some examples from it including their full res scans.

Larger version -> Lomography latitude

Larger version -> Lomography 100-2_01-13B

Larger version -> Lomography 100-2_02-37

12-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's... actually pretty impressive. I could stick that in my ME and shoot Sunny Sixteen with the selector in flash mode (manual mechanical backup) all day and still expect to retrieve something from a scan, even if I grossly miscalculated the appropriate exposure. It looks like it wants to be either "dead on" or one stop over for best results, with a three stop latitude either way for acceptable retrieval - about as good as the best B&W was advertised back in the day (according to Keppler).
12-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Fuji Superia 100 expired 2007 is hardly expired and most likely will not require any compensation while shooting or in development especially if it was refrigerated all along.
Really?? Well, that's interesting. I can only assume the person stored it properly; he was very much into old cameras, so ought to know what he was doing. Guess I'll hang onto it and try a roll some day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
F.I.N.D. (film is not dead). I live 2500 miles from any large land mass in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on an island called O`ahu. ...
But film has had a revival in many schools and never left our only public university. So we still have one lab in the state that develops C41 color negs and E6 color slides.
Siiigghhhhh.... I loved Hawaii.... Nice to know there is still interest in film. The guy who gave me this stuff totally turns up his nose at the idea of film anymore. Just, like, 'why would you want to bother'. Very much a film-is-dead guy.
I wonder if it will ever come "BACK back". Vinyl records are...? There's just such a glut of digital equipment and it's so easy for anyone to get into photography, no matter the result (oops, not going to rant about the general state of photography thanks to facebook etc... )
I wish I lived near a photo lab. Halifax; nope, any developing means mail order.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I recently ordered three boxes of three rolls from the Lomography people. ...seems to me to be a waste of good (and increasingly uncommon) colour stock,
Yeah, I have to admit I don't 'get it'.

Did not expect this would be such a big discussion. Interesting!
12-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe film will always be around. When television started becoming popular in the 60's, everyone said cinema was dead. Who would bother going to the theater and pay for a ticket when you could just stay home and watch TV? The same predictions were made of radio, traditional music instruments, horses, etc. But none of those things went away. They became diminished, but are now more precious than ever and we live in a world with more 'stuff'.

Just a few years ago, I remember reading how SLRs were doomed and everyone would be shooting mirrorless (or cell phones). Nothing stays the same, and yes some things like VHS and landline phones are vanishing. But film has its pros and cons, but I don't see it completely vanishing. Kudos to Nikon for continuing production of the FM10 and F6.

12-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I do not think VHS will be missed in the long run; current media are more user-friendly, particularly to those wishing to skip back and review, do slow-mo, etc. VHS's big advantage in the early days of disc was its ability to record and re-record/re-use over and over again whereas disc was read-only, but that has now changed.

The great thing about the old landline phones was that they would still work when the "normal" electricity was down (unless you were using a hands-free set). When in Australia I kept a landline phone on hand against such things until late 2010 when I emigrated to Canada, and when I heard they were actually RIPPING UP THE COPPER as part of the National Broadband Network (to ensure their monopoly, no doubt), I was livid with rage. You don't destroy national infrastructure like that, especially as part of a government project. Traitors.
12-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not think VHS will be missed in the long run; current media are more user-friendly, particularly to those wishing to skip back and review, do slow-mo, etc. VHS's big advantage in the early days of disc was its ability to record and re-record/re-use over and over again whereas disc was read-only, but that has now changed.

The great thing about the old landline phones was that they would still work when the "normal" electricity was down (unless you were using a hands-free set). When in Australia I kept a landline phone on hand against such things until late 2010 when I emigrated to Canada, and when I heard they were actually RIPPING UP THE COPPER as part of the National Broadband Network (to ensure their monopoly, no doubt), I was livid with rage. You don't destroy national infrastructure like that, especially as part of a government project. Traitors.
I stuck with and believed in the landline-for-emergencies theory until I encountered two storms, during which we not only had a power outage, but the landline was also down. I also had a cell phone and the cell network never went down. I called the landline phone company on my cell phone to explain why I had kept my landline and was rudely barked at by "Customer Service" that they were not going to risk harm to their personnel in the storm to get the phone lines back up.

Needless to say, that was the end of my landline service....and you're right, I don't think anyone is going to miss magnetic tape such as VHS, cassette tapes, and even the forever funky 8-track.
12-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I stuck with and believed in the landline-for-emergencies theory until I encountered two storms, during which we not only had a power outage, but the landline was also down.
I don't think this EVER happened to me, so I'll grant you your experience and agree to differ. Mind you, where I used to live, power was above ground while phone lines were almost all buried and difficult for storms to cut; in places where the ground routinely freezes and thaws, this is probably not so easy to do.

The issue for me is what happens when the power is down for so long your cellphone is also drained. Admittedly this is more of a problem now than it used to be, when apps and sophisticated screen displays (and the temptation to constantly use it as a stand-in web browser) weren't eating power at a furious rate. It is, however, mitigated significantly by the existence of compact pre-charged power banks (one of which my phone company was kind enough to supply me together with my latest cellphone!). These are a boon when changing the battery (if you can even get into the phone to do so) is impeded by the presence of Otter Boxes and other such forms of multi-layered "telephone armour" and you're on call and can't afford teardown time.

12-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Lomographers no film is too expired...

Chris
12-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For Lomographers no film is too expired
Even 30 year old disneychrome..
12-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

things like VHS
VHS's big advantage in the early days of disc was its ability to record and re-record/re-use over and over again whereas disc was read-only, but that has now changed.
Don't forget Beta, it was better quality than VHS and used by TV broadcasters. VHS won the VCR battle because consumers liked the longer recording times of the VHS tapes. Beta was also great for doing music tapes. I miss my Sony Betamax!

Phil.
12-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Don't forget Beta, it was better quality than VHS and used by TV broadcasters. VHS won the VCR battle because consumers liked the longer recording times of the VHS tapes. Beta was also great for doing music tapes. I miss my Sony Betamax!

Phil.
There was also a digital data recorder interface designed to use these tapes as opposed to the emerging high speed tape systems coming out in the early 90's. Just had to destroy quite a few of those recently!

While in Germany in the early 90's, a colleague there showed me what looked like a large audio cassette that was used for video recording. And like audio cassettes, it can be flipped over to record on the other side. As I understand it, it didn't last too long on the market.
12-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There was also a digital data recorder interface designed to use these tapes as opposed to the emerging high speed tape systems coming out in the early 90's. Just had to destroy quite a few of those recently!

While in Germany in the early 90's, a colleague there showed me what looked like a large audio cassette that was used for video recording. And like audio cassettes, it can be flipped over to record on the other side. As I understand it, it didn't last too long on the market.
I also had a Sony DAT recorder back in the late 1980's, but it only recorded in one direction like a Beta/VHS tape. The quality was good, but it also was not a big hit.

Regular analog cassettes are also making a small come back and I see quite a few in local record stores. I just got my old Nakamichi cassette desk rebuilt, so I'm ready to go! Only problem is the lack of blank new good quality metal or chrome tapes.
12-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For Lomographers no film is too expired...
Chris
Is that who would be buying all the expired 120 on eBay, or can you work with expired 120 'normally'?

If I decide to figure out how to use the Mamiya and give it a try, would I have to do anything special with the film, like adding a stop as some suggested -- does that apply to just the 35mm or all? All the expired film I have in this batch is mid-2000s.
12-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Is that who would be buying all the expired 120 on eBay, or can you work with expired 120 'normally'?

If I decide to figure out how to use the Mamiya and give it a try, would I have to do anything special with the film, like adding a stop as some suggested -- does that apply to just the 35mm or all? All the expired film I have in this batch is mid-2000s.
35mm or 120 is still the same emulsion, although I think there is a greater likelihood that the 120 was kept refrigerated and could be in better shape....but that's just an assumption....so yes, based on this thread, it looks like a wise move to add at least a stop.
01-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK. Thanks. It was all stored together, I assume... all from the same person.