Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

35mm film processing & scanning in the UK?

Does anyone have any recommendations for 35mm film processing and scanning in the UK? I've been looking at AG Photo-lab, who seem to offer a good range of services, including scanning to TIFF at 6mp. Higher resolution is JPEG only, but I'd be happy with the 6mp if the quality of processing is good. Not cheap, though... Standard C41 process with TIFF scans at 6mp works out at £9.99. I don't plan on doing a huge amount of film photography, so the price doesn't worry me unduly, but I'd be interested to know if there are better services for the same or not much more in cost, or equally good services for less.

Thanks in advance!

04-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

I normally use Snappy Snaps in Lincoln - it is staffed by film enthusiasts and they do a good job. However, Snappy Snaps is a franchise and other branches won't necessarily be as good. When I have wanted non-C41 processing done I used Palm Labs in Birmingham. They are happy to phone you to discuss what developing you want if they think it is required and they are not too expensive.
04-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

AG has been decent enough for processing for me, but I wouldn't recommend their printing service. I had them print a 6x6 film at 10" and after scanning (at home) noticed a fair bit of detail was missing. If your time is worth more than your money then maybe just hunt out someone with a decent scanner. I can't imagine they'd be able to get much better than an Epson V700.
04-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found 4 places in the UK area that develops film (scanning also, I believe), not sure if you know about them or not: Photo Labs and Darkrooms ? I shoot film.

04-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I was living in London, I used the Darkroom.
I have always been satisfied by the results.
Photographs for your wall, your desk and home. Whether film, print or digital file we ensure the best possible quality results from your original
04-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I haven't used them myself but I follow the blog of a superb film photographer and he loves the service and results from here: UK Film Lab | Professional Film Processing and Scanning.

The sample photos on their main page look great, there's a range of services and they will upload the scans for you to download so that you get them faster, then whenever you like they will post all your negatives back to you. This approach makes sense to me as it doesn't waste money sending back the negs every time you shoot a roll, when you probably only want them as a backup.
04-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the recommendations and information! Much appreciated. I think I'm going to start with just getting my films processed and scan them at home to get a feel for how well the technicians have handled them, before I move on to having them scan and possibly print.