Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stand development - chemistry.

I am of the understanding that Agfa Rodinal, the go-to developer for this process, has been discontinued.

What are my options?

04-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
May be Adox Rodinal.

Adox Rodinal Film Developer - 500ml | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

or Adox Adonal Developer (Atomal)
Adox Adonal Developer (500ml/16 oz) 12054 B&H Photo Video

or Ilford Ilfosol-3 Film Developer.
04-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted above, Adox makes what they claim is their version of the original formulation and might be your best option if you prefer that developer. That being said, stand and semi-stand development may be done with any number of developers. For example, HC-110 at dilution G 1+119 is an option that I have used for semi-stand with good results. (I don't have patience for traditional stand development.)

Steve
04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the names. Will have to seek alternative sources as these links are ground shipping to the Lower 48 only and I live on a Canadian island...

04-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

I use Ilford Ilfotec HC for semi stand development all the time and I am quite satisfied with the results. It's their interpretation of Kodak HC 110. I really can't compare it to other developers since that bottle lasts forever and I am not willing to buy another developer before I finish this one. Next thing I want to try is Caffenol, though. There are different recipes that seem to be suitable for stand development, too, and what I have seen on the Internet looks really good.
04-27-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Thank you for the names. Will have to seek alternative sources as these links are ground shipping to the Lower 48 only and I live on a Canadian island...
In Canada, the Rodinal replacement is Blazinal. In Montreal I buy it at Photo Service:

I don't know how they are with shipping, though. Good luck!
04-27-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You might try Beau Photo in Vancouver. Beau Photo Supplies - Cameras, Equipment, Albums, Rentals

Their website is very sketchy, but I've heard that they carry quite a bit of darkroom stuff.

04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks, people. Will follow up these leads and see what turns up.
05-11-2016, 03:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pathdoc, what is your recipe for stand development? temp. time, agitation etc.
05-11-2016, 04:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
pathdoc, what is your recipe for stand development? temp. time, agitation etc.
I don't have one yet because I don't have easy access to liquid developers (Henry's, even though they have a branch in Newfoundland, won't let me buy Ilford liquid developer online, for example) - it would have to be ordered in at significant cost, which is why I'm asking for advice on what to get and where to get it before taking the plunge.
05-11-2016, 05:33 AM   #11
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
I use Ilford Ilfotec HC for semi stand development all the time and I am quite satisfied with the results. It's their interpretation of Kodak HC 110. I really can't compare it to other developers since that bottle lasts forever and I am not willing to buy another developer before I finish this one. Next thing I want to try is Caffenol, though. There are different recipes that seem to be suitable for stand development, too, and what I have seen on the Internet looks really good.
Just to add something more. In my film era I had the chance to work with Tetenal developers and I would say I got excellent negatives with them.
Tetenal ULTRAFIN and PARANOL S (similar formula as Rodinal) are highly recommendable. The first one is a is the so called "fine grain developer" and a is little dissolving the grain,
the second one gives sharp edges of the film grains.
I am sure you will find a supplier.
05-11-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to find this link for my earlier post but just found it now. Photo supply company in Toronto that ships "Canada wide via Canada Post Expedited Parcel or Xpresspost". Seems to have a good list of chemistry:

FilmPlus | 416-535-3747 | Toronto, Canada

Again, good luck!
04-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
or Ilford Ilfosol-3 Film Developer.
I have secured some Ilfosol S, its close cousin (predecessor?) and am tempted to give it a go. Does anyone have a starting point for dilutions and times?
04-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the risks involved in stand development equal any potential benefits.
I have never understood its appeal. Maybe it's some kind of Zen thing?

Chris
04-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO the risks involved in stand development equal any potential benefits.
I have never understood its appeal. Maybe it's some kind of Zen thing?

Chris
IIRC the claim is that the highlights develop fast, then the developer in proximity to the film becomes exhausted; after this, the shadows then develop slowly but extensively by diffusion and one can end up with an improved result. Because the developing time is very, very long, small variations on the order of thirty to sixty seconds (e.g. pour-out time for large Patterson tanks) are not critical, nor is temperature (within sane limits) - and the volumes of developer used are very small.

In addition, Rodinal - which is the go-to for this system - is supposed to have an unusually long shelf-life once opened, so it also benefits photographers who don't get into the darkroom much, don't want their solutions going bad on them, and want to economise on developer.

I have no doubt there is currently a hipster element to it.

I would be interested to hear you expound upon the risks. One thing I can say for sure - as with Caffenol (which I also have yet to try), it's not something I'd trust once-in-a-lifetime pics with until I was confident in the process.