Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1959 2x3 inch colour slides

I've been learning a lot more than I ever expected about different film formats and their image sizes as I sift through the family archive of old photographs and negatives that have ended up in my hands.

Every time I think I have come across my last new format or size, I find something else in an envelope. I have some mounted colour slides shot in 1959 that have a viewable area of approximately 2 inches by 3 inches. I am assuming this was a 120 format film but I have a few questions.

I have been able to find information about other slide format sizes like the SuperSlide, but not much about this format.

How would I refer to a slide of this size? As a 6x8 or 6x9?

And, given the time frame for the images, any suggestions the most likely film used?

05-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They might be 2x3 sheet film slides (basically the same as 6x9). The camera would have looked like a half-size press or view camera. At one time there would have been a wide choice of films available, though at present there are only a handful of B&W films in that size. 120 Roll film holders were also made.

@Nesster, do you have any experience with 2x3?

Steve
05-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Years ago I had a Mamiya Press camera with interchangeable backs. One was a 6x9 roll film holder. I shot some transparency film in it that I turned into "lantern slides" for a massive medium format projector. Sounds like what you have there. Hmmm. I'll have to go dig mine out. The images looked gorgeous on the big screen.
03-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thought I would post this here rather than starting a new thread. I want to clean up some of these images before an 80th birthday gathering for my mother, and just had a couple of questions. The attached images are all 2 x 3 format slides, scanned on an Epson 4870 with VueScan and the Restore Fading filter applied. My first scans were all quite red and it took me a while to discover the purpose of the Restore Fading switch.

Is it possible that these images could have been shot on a Voigtlander Bessa RF? Was there a 6x9 transparency film available suitable for that camera in the late 50's? I assumed Ektachrome when scanning but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the results I have so far before I spend a lot of time experimenting with other scans or post-processing.

Would appreciate any comments.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo