Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digitizing Help - New to Film PP

I have a photo lab that does a great job at developing my film. I don't feel the scans are very high quality and would like to start scanning on my own. Can someone point me to an affordable high quality home scanning option?

Film: 35 and 120 film. Also, may want to digitize some slide film in the future.
Goal: Connected to PC, Software Driven, Scanner
Budget: Ideal price for everything would be under $300
Also: ICE (auto correct for hairs and stuff?) I would want this feature.

I know there are film holders and flatbeds out there, but IDK what is good and what isn't. I don't need new, used is ok, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

05-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am basically in the same boat as you are. I have a HP scanner but because HP doesn't support the scanner line, I can't use it to scan negative strips. I found a third party company that offers a driver for my scanner but I am unwilling to pay $75 usd for a driver.

While looking around for a different scanner, this seems to be the best bet right now with out moving into dedicated film scanners;

Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II Color Image Scanner | Canon Online Store

From what I understand, this scanner can do both 35mm and medium format negatives.
05-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you've got a good macro lens, there's always the camera option:

Why You Should Digitize Your Film Using a Camera Instead of a Scanner

Yes, your DSLR really is the best film scanner ? Jamie Maldonado Photography

Camera Scanning | dpBestflow
05-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am following this thread looking for suggestions. I myself was looking at the Epson perfection 600 to scan my old negative and slides. I was wondering if there were other options.

05-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
If you've got a good macro lens, there's always the camera option:
Just curious if you've scanned film with a DSLR yourself or are you just passing along these website?
05-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've done a bit of this myself, using stuff I mostly already had. I started out with a Panagor 35mm Zoom Slide Duplicator on my K-S2, but as it was built for full frame, I had to take a number of shots and stitch them together in PS. Used a Vivitar 880AFC flash for Canon set on slave and dialed down to 1/128 power, triggered from the built in flash.Then I got a hold of a Pentax Slide Duplicator for my bellows. With some modifications similar to this "Scanning" negatives with a Pentax DSLR - Photo.net Pentax Forum, using my 50mm Macro Takumar and an extension tube (26mm?) I was able to shoot 1:1 with the K-S2 without have to do stitching after the fact. Live view and focus peaking are very helpful. Results seem to be pretty good, certainly good enough for what I'm doing.
05-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have an Epson V550. I really like it as a dedicated film scanner. I haven't used it in a while because I haven't developed film in a while.
It has holders for:
-2 strips of 6 35mm negatives
-4 mounted slides
-1 strip of 120 film (fits 3 6x7 frames)

It has ICE but a digital version. I never use it, I seem to remember it making my photos blurry or something, maybe I need to try it again.

IIRC, the difference between this and V600 was the capability to scan larger than 120, which I didn't need.

I think the software is pretty good. You can allow it to automatically find the photo's edges or pick them manually. The auto works pretty well, I use it. You can also adjust levels and color and such in a preview before you scan.

The downside with the 35mm negative holder is that if the film is curling bad, it can be really hard to load and takes some practicing.

05-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

< $300 - Recommend Epson Refub & Vuescan Pro

Most of my work is digital but I added a film option to portraits sessions and dusted off gear I hadn't touched in years. Long ago, I bought a refurbished Epson V500 from the Epson Outlet Store because I started doing restoration work and tried my hand at film. Quit the film and later stopped the restoration work.

If I was starting today, I'd get a refurbed V550 or V600. I'd still use my original VuescanPro license instead of the Epson software plus film holders from Better Scanning . I think 35mm is too small so all I do is 120. The film is just so graceful. And between oversampling and my ON1 Perfect Resize ( nee Genuine Fractals) it would also easy to print very large.

So for under $300, I'd get the Epson which is (also good for scanning prints) and a Vuescan License.

Caveat - If you're in a hurry and don't like to read and research and practice, this can get frustrating. You're going to spend real time cleaning dust specks, physically and digitally. If I didn't have my Wacom Digitizer and Stylus and CC2015, I wouldn't do it. It can be labor intensive. Big files. But I'm also very picky. Which explains the cans of compressed air, lint free cotton gloves and ITF target to profile the scanner.

The attached image is from a 645N + FA 45-85/4.5 + Kodak TMax 400. Local lab processed, I scanned and then normal workflow, same as DNGs from my K5IIs bodies. From a head shot session for Seniors at a Ballet Conservatory. Window light & a reflector.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 10-25-2016 at 12:11 PM.
05-07-2016, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I watched the Youtube by David Hancock.
He said in one part it would be much easier with a FF. Well my K-1 will be here next week. Would I still need the billows & tubes and where could I buy them?
05-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
He said in one part it would be much easier with a FF. Well my K-1 will be here next week. Would I still need the billows & tubes and where could I buy them?
Yes, the bellows+slide copier does make copying straightforward as that was what they were designed to do.

I managed to pick mine up from local CL listings over time.

05-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been pleased with my Canon 9000 and Vuescan for scanning negatives. I feel it produces good results for the $. If I was to do it over again I would also look at the Epson's as other's have suggested. When I bought my Canon the Epson options were higher priced for me locally in Canada.

I tossed a few examples into my album galleries using the default Vuescan B&W profile, no post processing of any kind. Two cropped images from 122 format negatives shot in 1916 and a full frame 120 from 1918.

05-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Yes, the bellows+slide copier does make copying straightforward as that was what they were designed to do.

I managed to pick mine up from local CL listings over time.
Would one of these work: Soligor Dual Rail Bellows?
05-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Would one of these work: Soligor Dual Rail Bellows?
Bellows only without a slide/film holder is not even half the solution.

You will consider the camera and lens mount, the lenses you will use, the distance and the slide/film roll holder.
05-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I have a photo lab that does a great job at developing my film. I don't feel the scans are very high quality and would like to start scanning on my own. Can someone point me to an affordable high quality home scanning option?

Film: 35 and 120 film. Also, may want to digitize some slide film in the future.
Goal: Connected to PC, Software Driven, Scanner
Budget: Ideal price for everything would be under $300
Also: ICE (auto correct for hairs and stuff?) I would want this feature.

I know there are film holders and flatbeds out there, but IDK what is good and what isn't. I don't need new, used is ok, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
The Epson flatbed scanners are quite capable. They have their limitations, but if you work within those limitations and keep realistic expectations, you can get good results.
My primary film scanner for nearly 6 years has been a Epson V500. Last year I bought a V750-M mainly for scanning 35mm. I still scan most of my 120 on the V500 because I have a special betterscanning film holder for 120 film and it works in the V500 but not the V750. For 120 film the holder can make a big difference in scan quality.

The V500 (V550 and V600 have same scanning unit) you can get good quality 35mm scans of around 7 megapixels and plenty good for 8x12 prints.

The supplied Epson software is actually (IMO) very good and very easy to use.

Here's a thorough write up I wrote on scanning with Epson Scan. There's also a bit at the end about post processing film scans.
Getting the most from color negative film with your Epson flatbed. | Photography by Colton Allen

Here's one of my 35mm scans from the V500

05-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I've had really good results using the Pentax macro bellows setup with a slide holder. Works great and is quick. The multi shot macro composite looks like an even higher resolution solution. But I think a copy stand with geared and indexed rails to move the camera accurately would be better.