Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Solution (16 oz, 01/15 Expiration)

I'm buying some Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Solution (16 oz, 01/15 Expiration). If this hasn't been opened, can I still use it? How long will it last after I open it?

06-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had mine open for years, and it still seems to work just fine. On the bottle though, it tells you to make a working solution by diluting it in water. I don't do that, I would imagine that working solution wouldn't last as long. I just put a few drops in my developing tank at the end of the wash cycle.
06-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ditto with what Maxfeld says. When I do film, I just take a cap full, pour it into the tank (16 or 32 oz, same amount), and start agitating. Less is better than too much!

Frankly, I never noticed that there WAS an expiration date on it!

Regards,
06-17-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the Quick Answers

Maxfield & BigDave, I really do appreciate the answers you both gave. I was able to place my order, along with all the other items & chemicals. With the help of Chuck (B&H) I was able to put my started kit together. I ended up purchasing the following items:

Chemicals

Ilford Ilfosol-3 Film Developer for Black and White Film (500ml)
Kodak D-76 Developer (Powder) for Black and White Film
Ilford Ilfostop Stop Bath (500ml)
Ilford Rapid Fixer (Liquid,1 Liter)

Items needed to Develop
Paterson Universal Tank with Two Reels (Super System 4)
(2) Delta 1 Datatainer (Brown, 64 oz)
(1) Delta 1 Datatainer Chemical Storage Bottle 128-oz (One Gallon)
Dot Line DLC Film Cassette Opener
Paterson Film Squeegee
Print File 35mm Archival Storage Pages for Negatives, (25 Pack)

More Film
Ilford HP5 Plus Black and White Negative Film (35mm Roll Film)
Kodak Professional Tri-X 400 Black and White Negative Film (35mm Roll Film)
Ilford XP2 Super Black and White Negative Film (35mm Roll Film)

Thanks again !

06-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

Unless I'm gravely mistaken, that stuff is just soap water, albeit very pure. I doubt that it has any expiration.
06-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glee, be careful of the sponge squeegee as it ca scratch the film if it is not perfectly wet. Make sure it is wetted with the diluted photoflow solution before using it. Personally, I gave up using them for 35mm. I just take my index and middle fingers, get them wet, place one on each side of the film, cross your fingers a little (to add tension to the film) and run the fingers down the film. Unless you have REAL dry skin, you are good to go!

Good luck and have fun! I always found film to more magical than digital!
06-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, that stuff is just soap water, albeit very pure. I doubt that it has any expiration.
It is known as LFN (please don't ask me what that stands for), and it is the wetting agent, not the soap component, found in dishwasher detergent. It works by reducing the surface tension of water so that it runs off the dishes, or in this case the film, rather than beading up.
06-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats on rolling your own! It leads to a path of taking your BW work to new levels. As said that Photo-Flo should last a long time as a concentrate. Add film clips and, if room in your budget, a more precise glass thermometer to that list you haven't already. In the long run, the fast response time of this thermometer is worth it if you do a lot of developing.

I recommend reading the data sheet for every film and developer you use. Kodak and Ilford have good documentation. Follow their recommended development times and agitation profile for the developers as a starting point. Their published development times are based on that agitation profile. Once you're comfortable and have established a reliable go-to process then you can start trying new and different things.

06-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats on rolling your own! It leads to a path of taking your BW work to new levels.

I recommend reading the data sheet for every film and developer you use. Once you're comfortable and have established a reliable go-to process then you can start trying new and different things.

My same thoughts, that this is leading me down a Yellow Brick Road. I'm keeping myself in the here & now, but I would love to jump into Film Medium Format after I get to Oz.

It's seems from every video & article I've read, it's really not that hard to do. That's as long as I put my time in researching, reading, watching video's and having the support of PF Film Members. I'm having more fun learning film than when I 1st purchased my K-20D in 2010.
06-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Film is its own animal and with the love of digital I have, I need to do more of it myself. It is far more permanent than digital too. As it is optical, you can always find some way of getting the image into a form that can be dealt with. Once it is 1s and 0s, you are at the mercy of software! Plus, properly process and stored B&W film can last hundreds of years! Digital on a CD, 10 to 15!

Regards,
06-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
On the bottle though, it tells you to make a working solution by diluting it in water. I don't do that
I don't either. I have no idea why Kodak made that recommendation.

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, that stuff is just soap water, albeit very pure.
Not really, there is a long chain alcohol in it that aids in lowering the tension of water, as well as an anti-foaming agent. Also it has propylene Glycol in it which is less toxic than the ethylene glycol used in photo flo 600.

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
How long will it last after I open it?
As I recall standard Dilution of photo flo 200 is 1:200 - I find this is too strong, even with moderate agitation foam can form on the film at this dilution. I prefer 1:400 - Be warned, if you use too much it can leave a residue on your film and also damage plastic film reels. At a 1:400 level of dilution a 30ml [16oz roughly] bottle the stuff can conceivably last well over 10 years. And like most people posted here , I never bothered to look at the expiration date on my bottle.

Addendum: EXP 9/05. The bottle isn't even half empty.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-20-2016 at 09:26 AM.
06-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer Edwal LFN to Photo-Flo.
It is concentrated and comes in a convenient small squeeze bottle with dropper top.
All you need is a drop or two.

Chris