Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Strange. Maybe there was a mid-production change in design. I constantly have sharpness issues with the 9000. For critical stuff I resorted to scanning two or three times with different focus settings and merging the files in ZereneStacker. But doing so takes an awful amount of time.
For both 35mm and medium format? Do you have the Nikon FH-869G medium format glass holder? Getting out of focus scans would be very unfortunate and would definitely dampen my enthusiasm.

06-23-2016, 01:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
For both 35mm and medium format?
Yes, for both.

Do you have the Nikon FH-869G medium format glass holder?
Yes, that's what I'm mostly using.

That said, "out of focus" depends to some extent on your personal standards (but yours are fairly high I presume). With a 4000 dpi scan from a B&W neg, I want the grain to be defined the same way all over the frame. This is something I find hard to achieve with the 9000.
06-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is most unfortunate. Depending on the level of out of focus, it would be more obvious with grainier film or super high resolving film like Techpan.

Did you buy it new, was it always that way, did you get it serviced?
06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I posted these before and perhaps need to again for anyone wanting finer grain and doesn't have a stash of TP in the freezer fogging over from background radiation.

Today's tabular grain films can get really fine grain too. You have to over expose and under develop and it will yield finer results than box speed plus you get extra DR that way too. Here is 400TMY process to produce less grain and Tech Pan in 120 roll. That's why I suggest not using Tech Pan. Use a film people can go out and try.

400TMY and a crop from it

Tech Pan TP 6415 and its crop

06-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That is most unfortunate. Depending on the level of out of focus, it would be more obvious with grainier film or super high resolving film like Techpan.

Did you buy it new, was it always that way, did you get it serviced?
It was bought new (it's not mine but belongs to my employer) and recently cleaned and serviced--which improved (reduced) internal flare but not the focus issues. As far as I can tell it always behaved like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
400TMY and a crop from it
How did you scan these?
06-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Use a film people can go out and try.
I apologize for not expounding on my previous response but I used Techpan because I needed a target 35mm frame that will have more detail then what the digitizing methods can resolve so that I can determine their digitizing limits. I originally started this for the purposes of testing some of my lenses actual resolution and saw that the results exceeded my Coolscan.

Fine grain is obviously a consideration but if you remember, we previously exchanged messages and we agreed that my Techpan results are much finer grained then even the results you are getting from your Techpan. Is it because because I processed it in Technidol? And of course it is far finer grained then what you are getting from 400TMY.

Again, this has nothing to do with the film used, just needed a target 35mm frame that exceeds the digitizing methods. A 1951 USAF Glass Slide contrast Resolution Target may be more appropriate for this purpose but like I said, I don't have one.

Do you know if a 35mm frame of 400TMY - or any other readily available 35mm film, can be used for this purpose?

---------- Post added 06-23-16 at 08:41 PM ----------

It was bought new (it's not mine but belongs to my employer) and recently cleaned and serviced--which improved (reduced) internal flare but not the focus issues. As far as I can tell it always behaved like this.
That is unfortunate and probably should have been addressed then.
06-24-2016, 01:57 AM   #22

Very interesting findings and something you can read a lot on the forums.
Have you compared the dynamic range, too?

We see that people are having severe issues with colors (on negative film in particular) and with dust and scratches on DSLR scans.
Have you tried using SilverFast HDR Studio for that matter? It works with standard 48bit tiff files and offers the same tools for adjusting colors that the scan soft does.
There is also SRDx - a dust and scratch removal tool which works great with Kodachromes and black and white film.

Here is a review on the dust and scratch removal, besides IR cleaning, of course:
SilverFast Ai Studio 8 Scanner Software Review | Shutterbug
06-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote
Very interesting findings and something you can read a lot on the forums.
Have you compared the dynamic range, too?

We see that people are having severe issues with colors (on negative film in particular) and with dust and scratches on DSLR scans.
Have you tried using SilverFast HDR Studio for that matter? It works with standard 48bit tiff files and offers the same tools for adjusting colors that the scan soft does.
There is also SRDx - a dust and scratch removal tool which works great with Kodachromes and black and white film.

Here is a review on the dust and scratch removal, besides IR cleaning, of course:
SilverFast Ai Studio 8 Scanner Software Review | Shutterbug
I would be interested to see the other forums you mentioned if you can post their links.
I have some initial observations about dynamic range and will follow-up on this.

The review on SilverFast HDR Studio looks promising - do you have and use it? Does it only work during a scan or can it work on existing files such as does from DSLR scans?

BTW, Coolcans+Nikonscan ICE works on Kodachrome with the 9000 being perfect as in the example above as well as below. The 5000 shows some aberrations and the V500+Epsonscan ICE is worst.

Larger version Kodachrome & ICE

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote
LSI Support Team
Just noticed this.

06-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

...How did you scan these?
With a Coolscan 9000ED
06-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

With a Coolscan 9000ED
Thanks!
06-27-2016, 12:57 AM   #26

I would be interested to see the other forums you mentioned if you can post their links.
I have some initial observations about dynamic range and will follow-up on this.
The review on SilverFast HDR Studio looks promising - do you have and use it? Does it only work during a scan or can it work on existing files such as does from DSLR scans?
SilverFast HDR Studio can work on standard 48bit tiffs and on the raw format files coming from our scanning solution Ai Studio. You'd need to convert your raw files if you use camera raw data.
HDR Studio offers the most important tools, making post-processing in Photoshop a lot easier and faster, if not unnecessary.
Of course the workflow in SilverFast is lossless and non-destructive. You don't need to be afraid of bad results.

There are a lot of interesting articles about DSLR vs scanner. I picked up some of the more recent for you since DSLR have made quite some progress.
I am always astonished about how much money and time people invest into finding a set up that works with their camera,
and into learning how to process the resulting scans in Photoshop until quality is ok.

Digitalize Slides: DSLR with Macro or Scanner?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Using a DSLR w/macro instead of a scanner to digitize film negs - Photo.net B&W Photo - Film & Processing Forum
Scanning without a Scanner: Digitizing Your Film with a DSLR | explora
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/322...ides-dslr.html
Why You Should Digitize Your Film Using a Camera Instead of a Scanner
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/170530...er-k-dslr.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregmoll/sets/72157622121204478/