Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Complete frustration. I deinstalled everything that said "Epson", deleted whatever was left manually, rebooted, installed the software again from the CD-ROM, plugged in the scanner as I was told by the installation assistant and waited for it to finish, rebooted again just to be safe, finally ran the program in compatibility mode and - nothing happens. Windows asks me if the program runs as intended (never had windows ask me that before. Looks like it knows more than I do), suggests another compatibility setting, but this changes nothing at all.

I am off worse than before and there are about 9 rolls of film waiting to be scanned.. I guess I'll retry this @#!$§% next week when I have more time at my hands

EDIT
Guess I missed the part about already running the installation as Administrator. Maybe I should also make sure the installation itself happens in compatibility mode to Windows 7 or even Vista?

08-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought you would download the software and driver I gave you a link to at Epson Germany. Not the one from the CD. The one on the CD is only good for any OS before Windows 10. That's probably why it isn't working. When you get the proper driver, then right click the install icon and chose Run as Administrator. If you get the Windows 10 driver/software you don't need to use compatibility mode.
08-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I thought you would download the software and driver I gave you a link to at Epson Germany. Not the one from the CD. The one on the CD is only good for any OS before Windows 10. That's probably why it isn't working. When you get the proper driver, then right click the install icon and chose Run as Administrator. If you get the Windows 10 driver/software you don't need to use compatibility mode.
Yup, you were right. I feel kind of stupid, but I went into this in a rush (it's 11pm here, now and I wanted to get it done, had the CD in my hands, didn't think twice or remembered your good advice too closely). After the initial frustration wore down, I re-read all the hints here and downloaded the software from Epson, went through the whole process again and now I am back to zero. Software starts and I can scan, but as soon as I switch the type of film I want to scan, the software freezes.
08-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
Software starts and I can scan, but as soon as I switch the type of film I want to scan, the software freezes.
Well, I've exhausted what I can do to help. I don't run Windows 10 yet, probably never........Maybe someone who uses Windows 10 can help.
I will ask about this to a friend tech, co worker and see if he has any ideas. He's a windows 10 user and an Epson user too.

08-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #20

Original Poster
Well, I've exhausted what I can do to help. I don't run Windows 10 yet, probably never........Maybe someone who uses Windows 10 can help.
I will ask about this to a friend tech, co worker and see if he has any ideas. He's a windows 10 user and an Epson user too.
You've helped a lot or at least not given up on me, thank you for that.

I also checked the WIA (which I never heard of before), as recommended in this link:

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&info...63&foid=283713 (which is basically the link you posted in german, I guess I need a break)

and everything was fine. Well, that link only adresses the problem of Epson Scan not starting. I think I'll have to wait until someone smarter than me with the exact same problem shows up.

Last edited by Arvid; 08-04-2016 at 02:43 PM.
08-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You've helped a lot or at least not given up on me, thank you for that.
Glad I could help. And you're welcome. I have not given up yet. I've asked my tech friend and am waiting on an answer from him. We both use Epson products and we're both computer techs...one of us will find the answer for you.
08-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #22

Original Poster
Oh, the reinstalled software still remembered my settings and the preview window from before the uninstall, by the way. Maybe I didn't get totally rid of the old installation, but there was nothing Epson related to be found. The official support also doesn't really recommend anything else than simply uninstalling the old build.

The good thing is that the last thing I did was scanning color negative and I still have lots of it to scan. If I was stuck in black and white film mode, I'd be even more in trouble. Off topic fun fact: Vuescan is 100$ by now.

08-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Off topic fun fact: Vuescan is 100$ by now.
I know, that's why I don't buy it. Epson software always worked good for me, I didn't need anything else.

We used to use a software called Revo that removes all excess software, like when uninstalling software that doesn't totally uninstall everything. Maybe you should use it. It will allow you to chose the name of the software to uninstall. As you've discovered Epson's uninstaller didn't clear everything out of your computer. But that one was replaced with a better one called IOBit. It's free.

Uninstall your latest driver/software, then run IOBit, then restart your computer and reinstall the drivers/software.
08-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This sounds more like a permissions/security problem than a driver issue to me.

If I have read the previous posts correctly, the software isn't crashing, and is working in either mode as long as you are able to set the mode. The issue is that when attempting to switch modes the application locks up / freezes / does not appear to respond.

I would like to see event log entries from the times when trying to change from or to transparency mode.

If currently running the application under an account with administrative privileges I would suggest running the Compatibility Troubleshooter then selecting "Run this program as an administrator". Here is a link to one example of using the Troubleshooter.

Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

In the absence of additional data I would set up a brand new account with administrative privileges on the system, install the Epson Scan application under that account, open up all security restrictions and see what happens.

I have a couple of Epson scanners and a fresh Windows 10 install on one of my systems - when I have a chance in the next few days I will take a look.
08-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Until we hear from him again as to whether he installed the correct and new Windows 10 driver all we can do is guess what's going on. In other posts he was told to either run the app as administrator or run in compatibility mode, which if he installed the Windows 10 driver that I provided a link for, he wouldn't need.

A friend and computer tech is running this same scanner with Windows 10. He had to get the Windows 10 driver/software from Epson and he says his is working fine with the installed new driver.
08-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
This sounds more like a permissions/security problem than a driver issue to me.

If I have read the previous posts correctly, the software isn't crashing, and is working in either mode as long as you are able to set the mode. The issue is that when attempting to switch modes the application locks up / freezes / does not appear to respond.

I would like to see event log entries from the times when trying to change from or to transparency mode.

If currently running the application under an account with administrative privileges I would suggest running the Compatibility Troubleshooter then selecting "Run this program as an administrator". Here is a link to one example of using the Troubleshooter.

Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

In the absence of additional data I would set up a brand new account with administrative privileges on the system, install the Epson Scan application under that account, open up all security restrictions and see what happens.

I have a couple of Epson scanners and a fresh Windows 10 install on one of my systems - when I have a chance in the next few days I will take a look.
You read correctly. It seems some people have issues with Windows 10 and Epson Scan, but I didn't find anyone else describing the kind of problem I have. It was mostly about installing and running the software in general. I'll try to get back to it this weekend, when I have more time at my hands and I will take a look at that troubleshooter. Oh, and yes, I was running/installing everything as an administrator, but didn't really fumble with any other system settings, as far as security goes.

Until we hear from him again as to whether he installed the correct and new Windows 10 driver all we can do is guess what's going on. In other posts he was told to either run the app as administrator or run in compatibility mode, which if he installed the Windows 10 driver that I provided a link for, he wouldn't need.

A friend and computer tech is running this same scanner with Windows 10. He had to get the Windows 10 driver/software from Epson and he says his is working fine with the installed new driver.
I used that driver after my first failed attempt and since then un- and reinstalled the program several times from scratch, going through different compatibility settings. So far, everything stays the same (preview window-freeze, software still remembers what I did before the last reinstall. My best guess is that the problem is connected to me somehow not getting everything off my hard drive). As mentioned above, I'll give it another try this weekend.

Thanks again to everyone trying to solve this for me! Although I didn't get rid of the problem, yet, I feel as if I'm somehow making progress, which makes it a lot more bearable.

Last edited by Arvid; 08-09-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: saying thanks!
09-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #27

Original Poster
Oh my, god. It finally works again. I finally had the time this weekend to have another go at it. Meanwhile, there was a Windows update and I ran ccleaner including a registry "fix". I have no idea if this actually helped with anything. After I installed the Epson driver/Epson scan another time now, at first everything looked as if I was in for another disappointment. The software still showed the preview from my last successful scanning attempts, but for some reason I am now able to switch film type and all the other things that caused a freeze up before.
Yeeha! Case closed, I guess.
09-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh my, god. It finally works again. I finally had the time this weekend to have another go at it. Meanwhile, there was a Windows update and I ran ccleaner including a registry "fix". I have no idea if this actually helped with anything. After I installed the Epson driver/Epson scan another time now, at first everything looked as if I was in for another disappointment. The software still showed the preview from my last successful scanning attempts, but for some reason I am now able to switch film type and all the other things that caused a freeze up before. Yeeha! Case closed, I guess.
That's really good news! Thanks posting back that you finally got it to work.
09-05-2016, 01:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

FWIW, my simple Epson XP-200 works fine scanning and printing under W10 Home, running Epson Scan v3.7.9.3US. I've spent much of today scanning dozens of very old prints, and it's all gone without a single glitch.
09-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't install from cd, download latest version from Epson. My V500 software works well on Win10...