Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subfly Quote
it stopped at the same point. t
Sounds like the carriage is stopping for some reason, and the scan continues through the sequence, just scanning the carriage increment it is stuck on.

I sympathize, subfly, my scanner is a bit over 2 years old, has already been replaced once. Then I spent many hours with manufacturer trying to help diagnose the second one. Problem after problem.
This scanner cost 3/4 of a K-01 and I think it is a write-off now, as I am tired of fooling around with its many problems.

I am thinking at next batch of film development I will just get an Epson V800. They are coming down in price a bit.
Also that will interface directly to the Linux computers here using Vuescan so i can get rid of an old XP.
And streamline the handling of the big tiffs.

---------- Post added 08-21-16 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder if a repair shop can get a copies of the 5000 ED service manuals from Nikon?
Yes I agree it is best to use legitimately obtained documentation.

But if a manufacturer ceases support and still withholds the service manuals, i don't think that is right.

08-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lite update: this morning it scanned two slides after restarting and then just stopped, after a few tens of seconds the scanner "quit" trying to scan (there was a sort of click) and the SW continued to try a bit and then saved the partial scan. I tried again and it stopped at the same point. this point is more or less at the same position where the stripes started in the previous scans.
Well at least you know it is not the stacker and that there is a hardware problem of some sort (control, electrical, or mechanical). With any luck the Nikon folk in France will be able to fix it.

Steve
08-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I have some scopes, signal generators, a ham receiver etc here all from the 1960's to 1970's.
Each has a service manual, some are of 200 + pages.
Great job fixing the signal generator and nice shot!

At home I just fixed my refrigerator by replacing the CPU board for about $100. The power supply section failed causing the front display to flash incoherent messages.

Currently, I work in a very interesting setting with a great juxtaposition of equipment dating back from the early 50's to present - low band to ultra high, microamps to hundreds of amps and low voltage to hundreds of thousands. Sometimes it feels like the twilight zone and I could easily blow through some rolls of film if they would allow me . . .
08-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
early 50's to present - low band to ultra high, microamps to hundreds of amps and low voltage to hundreds of thousands.
Hi Les, I bet you could fix Subfly's scanner.
Regards!

08-21-2016, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Les, I bet you could fix Subfly's scanner.
Regards!
I've always prided myself with not making it worse then when I got it . . .
08-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #21

Original Poster
I might open it and see what happens to the carriage "live".... Maybe I get some idea or hints on the cause.

BTW, now it has been scanning about 20 slides with no hitch, even though from time to time it hesitates for a fraction of a second and then goes ahead....
08-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, now it has been scanning about 20 slides with no hitch, even though from time to time it hesitates for a fraction of a second and then goes ahead...
It has sensed your displeasure...

Steve