Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

"Kodak Safety Film" ancient bulk load, but it seems ok!

Recently was given a bunch of expired film. I was told it had always been in the fridge or freezer. Along with it, 2 100ft bulk rolls, FP4 and TMAX 100.

Decided to get a bulk loader on ebay to use this stuff, and it happened to have film already in it. Figured I'd take a short test roll to figure out what it was, and if it was any good.

Did shots at iso 32, 64, 100, 125m 200 and 400.

From the color of the leader I guessed it was probably Plus-X (125) since it did not match the Tri-X that was included in my batch of recently received expired film. Developed as Plus-X in xtol, and... Maybe too much contrast at 32? Negatives look most "normal" to me at 100, Though I did like the amazing contrast at 32. Hmmmm.... I don't think it's Pan-X though. Will likely shoot at 100?

And I expected it would say Tri-X or Plus-X on the edge of the film, but it only says "Kodak Safety Film" and has frame numbers, which are irrelevant since I am bulk loading. Anyone know what year they started labeling the type on the edge of the film? Trying to guess how old this might be. No idea if it was refrigerated, but I would guess not, since the included film was not mentioned in the auction listing for the loader. Hmmm...

Haven't printed off it yet, but did a Pakon scan, and not bad!

Oh and on a side note, using MX with M40/2.8 mostly, since I keep almost buying a rangefinder and then reminding myself that this combo isn't much larger... if I don't bring other lenses, but that's another story! (lba)

09-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would love to see some of the images, if you don't mind showing us.

QuoteOriginally posted by gdneil Quote
using MX with M40/2.8 mostly, since I keep almost buying a rangefinder and then reminding myself that this combo isn't much larger...
That is a wonderful combination for compact carrying-about. The ME is even smaller (slightly narrower from left to right), and possibly better for fleeting opportunity shots in street photography. For me, having +/- 2EV control in a casual travel situation is enough, but I know some people don't like to give up full manual control, while the MX will of course keep rocking on when the batteries and/or the electronics are dead.
09-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to load bulk Plus-X back in the day.
ASA 125 - Kodak Microdol for 11 minutes at 78 degrees F.

Loved that film. I later started "rolling my own" developer that allowed Plus-X to be shot at ASA 400 with development times being around the same. It was like shooting Tri-X, but with the grain of Plus-X. I was shooting Fujica ST801/901/AX cameras with M42 mounts. My friends and I would practice walking/near running in front of my house changing lenses and unloading/reloading film on the move. (My friends were shooting Olympus OM and some Canon thing) I spent many a darkroom hour printing up true garbage in those days. After my days using Plus-X (no longer available in 35mm as of 2011) I started shooting chromes (Koda - Ekta - Fuji etc) and even bulk loaded some Ektachrome once. In the darkroom we produced B&W prints (duh), prints from color film and prints from the "chromes" on Cibachrome.

I still have my bulk loader and a box of film cans. I have the tank and a film scanner too. I can still buy bulk B&W film from a camera store in Seattle, but I have no good place to develop the film as I am on a septic system and the county (and the wife) would take a dim view of polluting the local Salmon spawning stream with heavy metals.
09-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try to post a photo or two (negative scan) sometime soon... But my test roll was so dreadfully boring that I'd like to wait until I have something at least a little better...

Hopefully I'll be able to develop something later this week? Thankfully able to use the darkroom at a local university - or I wouldn't be doing film at all. Haven't bulk loaded film since 1983 maybe? Since I was 12 or 13?

I think if someone came up with photo chemicals now, they'd not be allowed to market... Not exactly environmentally sound, as noted... Kind of like the radioactive material (and other stuff of that nature) that I found in an old chemistry set in my grandparents basement...

09-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boring from an aesthetic sense, perhaps, but for those of us who might one day have a windfall such as yours, it would be mighty interesting. I hadn't even considered what I might do if I came across a bulk loader already loaded (hint to self: if you buy one, first of all get it into a darkbag and only then open it up).
09-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Good deal. I've had BW film about 15 years old come out okay but there was some significant base fogging that occurred and ultimately it hurts the contrast of the image to some degree. But it certainly wouldn't stop me from using it yet.
09-29-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a photo from the found film... I did up the contrast a little in Rawtherapee.

Pentax MX, M40/2.8, "Kodak Safety Film" shot at iso 100, processed xtol (as plus-x, 8 min) and scanned Pakon F135 (non-plus)
Attached Images

09-29-2016, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And some more... Not edited at all, just to get an idea of the film.
Pentax MX, M40/2.8, "Kodak Safety Film" shot at iso 100, processed xtol (as plus-x, 8 min) and negative scanned Pakon F135 (non-plus)

Prints nicely in the darkroom - using expired Agfa paper at the moment.

Shooting next roll at 80 I think? Though 100 seems to work. I just like to mess with things it seems!

Attached Images

09-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There isn't even an emulsion number along with "Kodak Safety Film"? If not, that also might help date it and allow you to identify it easier.
09-30-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice result - I think you've got a winner there!
09-30-2016, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
There isn't even an emulsion number along with "Kodak Safety Film"? If not, that also might help date it and allow you to identify it easier.
Thanks!

And no emulsion number... had expected something, but it's just safety film... Have loaded maybe 8 rolls so far. More than expected.

Having fun with film again.
10-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gdneil Quote
And some more... Not edited at all, just to get an idea of the film.
Pentax MX, M40/2.8, "Kodak Safety Film" shot at iso 100, processed xtol (as plus-x, 8 min) and negative scanned Pakon F135 (non-plus)

Prints nicely in the darkroom - using expired Agfa paper at the moment.

Shooting next roll at 80 I think? Though 100 seems to work. I just like to mess with things it seems!
Good results!

Phil.
12-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Very nice! I have Plus-X dating back to the early 80s and despite a little base fog, it's still quite useable, especially when developed in HC-110 which does a good job in minimizing fog.
12-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Frozen B&W film will last a long time. Kodak had some that they kept frozen and tested once a year. It was 50 years old and still within spec the last I heard of it.. I'm hoping my 20 year old Ektachrome is still good. Been frozen since new.