Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ilford XP2: Special Instructions to Photo Lab?

Hello,

I am about to send a few rolls of Ilford XP2 along with some Kodak Ektar 100 for development and scan. Do I need any special instructions for these XP2s?

Sincerely

09-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #2

No special instructions required. XP2 is a chromogenic black and white film that is made for development in the same chemistry (C41), as normal colour negative film like Ektar.
09-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Halide Quote
No special instructions required. XP2 is a chromogenic black and white film that is made for development in the same chemistry (C41), as normal colour negative film like Ektar.
I know this, but I have heard that the Ilford XP2 doesn't have an orange base and can cause some color drifts when printed, does this apply to scanning too?
09-15-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
XP2 scans BEAUTIFULLY, and the lack of orange stain is only problematic for RA-4 photographic paper printed the traditional way.

09-15-2016, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I know this, but I have heard that the Ilford XP2 doesn't have an orange base and can cause some color drifts when printed, does this apply to scanning too?
That's correct and as a b&w film, it will be scanned as a b&w. The advantage is that if the scanner has ICE (IR dust and scratch removal) it can be applied. Chromogenic b&w films have been around for a long time now and should not surpise anyone. But an inexperienced operator may be out there.
09-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That's correct and as a b&w film, it will be scanned as a b&w. The advantage is that if the scanner has ICE (IR dust and scratch removal) it can be applied. Chromogenic b&w films have been around for a long time now and should not surpise anyone. But an inexperienced operator may be out there.
So I wrote Ilford XP2: develop C-41, scan B&W. Is this correct?
09-17-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
So I wrote Ilford XP2: develop C-41, scan B&W. Is this correct?
Yes, thatʻs right. Worse case scenario: they will scan it RGB (color) and then you will get a monochromatic toned looking scan. You can always convert it yourself to greyscale.

10-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
IR channel removal only works on color films due to the different reflectivity of B&W film. Most B&W film has reflectivity in the IR channel, which color films do not. (Thus the usability of the IR trick.)
10-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kain Quote
IR channel removal only works on color films due to the different reflectivity of B&W film. Most B&W film has reflectivity in the IR channel, which color films do not. (Thus the usability of the IR trick.)
The reflectivity you state is the silver in true b&w film and that is incompatible with IR based dust and scratch removal in scanners. However, the film the OP is referring to is a chromogenic b&w film - processed in C41 chemistry, and can be scanned using IR dust and scratch.