Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bad scan or bad exposure? Scanning aerial shot of ice

I am working on scanning a two year backlog of Velvia 50 I've shot and all was well, till I hit a challenging roll - aerial shots of ice sheets. I remember the ice being more glistening and the water a little darker - and couldn't mount my polarizer (filter ring v slipstream) but these shots look especially flat. Since I haven't scanned in a long while, does this appear to be a shot where I screwed up the exposure not accounting for ice reflectivity, or is this the scanner exposing poorly?

I used the DiMage's autoexpose on one shot and then shut it off in another and they seem to be close enough to suggest it was my exposure and that I should chug along and try to salvage in post-processing. (I think I corrected for this later on but only halfway through the roll )

Attached Images

10-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your original slides should be your guide. If you have access to a light table and loupe, direct examination should indicate the amount of highlight detail as well as color balance/intensity. Tweaking the scanner to capture the nuance of the original may be difficult, but should be attainable.

Steve
10-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed with Steve. Are you using VueScan with the DiMage Scanner? I've often found that the profiles for specific films like Fujifilm Velvia scans worse than if I just use the Generic profile and then do PP in PS. Are these aerials 35mm, 645 or 67?
10-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
35mm Velvia, scanned with the DiMage Scan Utility (never got Vuescan). I've always wanted to do the most basic scan, archive the film and then play in photoshop, so I did just use default profile, 16 bit, autofocus/expose. From Haleakala to the Grand Canyon this usually works fairly well but the ice trips me up

Thanks for the replies.

10-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, too bad you couldn't get the polarizer on. I think it is the exposure and I suspect a ton of UV that affected the exposure. Do you completely trust the lab that processed this? E-6 processing takes much more precision and especially ISO 50 with its very small exposure latitude. I usually bracket a lot with 50 and 100 ISO reversal films.