Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2016, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fuji Neopan Acros pushed to EI 640

Lately I've been working on pushing Acros (one of my favourite films) to EI 640. Why, you ask? I have four 100ft rolls of it (rebadged as Legacy Pro 100, man do I wish it was still available) and I recently ran out of my stash of Neopan 400 (rebadged as Legacy Pro 400, man do I wish it was still available as well).

I also have a large stash of Kodak D-76 powder - years ago I bought what a retiring photographer had on hand. It's the kind that came in yellow cans. So, this has led to a willingness to burn some film and developer to see if I could find a workable combo.

After some trial and error, I've settled on EI 640, D-76 3+1 (three parts stock solution, 1 part water) 30 minutes at 20oC. I agitate continuously for the first minute + 10 seconds, and then for the first 10 seconds of every minute thereafter. I am using the twirl stick for agitation in a Patterson tank. The resulting negs are fairly high in contrast, but I'm happy with the results. It's sort of like using a deep red filter, without the filter. If you're willing to work within its limitations, it works.

Scans are jpegs straight out of the Pakon, with no post processing at all.

Attached Images

Last edited by gabriel_bc; 10-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
10-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting... I don't know anything about processing the film (project for another day...) but my neopan photos definitely look very different...
10-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Interesting... I don't know anything about processing the film (project for another day...) but my neopan photos definitely look very different...
Do you get your film processed at a lab, then?
10-29-2016, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Do you get your film processed at a lab, then?
Yes. Just got into film (or back into film) in May, so haven't had a chance to try developing. Haven't done it since I was a teenager...

10-29-2016, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not bad, those negs look pretty clean. It is good to see you kept the temperature low, Neopan doesn't like being cooked. Regarding the red filter look, Neopan is designed to be Orthopanchromatic - meaning its sensitivity is supposed to approximate that of the human eye, but I have found it will show enhanced red sensitivity with push development. I do recall that Neopan 400 when pushed to 3200 is a passable, albeit grainy IR film.

If you like the look of orthopanchromatic films, I'd suggest looking for Efke 25 and 50. There should be plenty of that still floating around since the company that made it ceased production 2012.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-29-2016 at 10:33 PM.
10-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
not bad, those negs look pretty clean. It is good to see you kept the temperature low, Neopan doesn't like being cooked. Regarding the red filter look, Neopan is designed to be Orthopanchromatic - meaning its sensitivity is supposed to approximate that of the human eye, but I have found it will show enhanced red sensitivity with push development. I do recall that Neopan 400 when pushed to 3200 is a passable, albeit grainy IR film.

If you like the look of orthopanchromatic films, I'd suggest looking for Efke 25 and 50. There should be plenty of that still floating around since the company that made it ceased production 2012.
Very interesting, thanks. Yes, I was pleased with the look - no "pushed look" grain, good tonality, though the tonal range is compressed to be sure. Highlight details are sometimes blown out if the scene has a large tonal range.

I might look for Efke films, but I'm also quite happy with Acros at 100 in D76 1+3 @ 15min. I find it slightly amusing that my two development concentrations ended up being reciprocal - I guess that means I'm using 1+1 on average
10-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice results. I've never tried Acros, or any T-grain film for that matter.
I just found some ACU-1 developer, the one-shot version of Acufine.
I'll save it to use when I have a number of rolls to push-process.

Chris