Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

B&H No longer shipping darkroom chemistry

This is a cross-post from APUG, just to bring awareness to this new issue.

B&H not shipping chemicals anymore? | APUG.ORG

It seems that B&H is no longer shipping chemistry due to ORM-D regulations. Adorama, Freestyle, and other photo houses still ship chemistry, so be forewarned that you'll have to go elsewhere for chemistry (at least until B&H reverses this policy).

11-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the heads-up.
11-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Argh, not good news!
11-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's definitely a growing trend, but I'd rather be safer flying with these sorts of regulations than getting my chemical fix(er).

I'm lucky to have a local supplier for any PF members on Oahu (Hawaii):

Treehouse - A creative arts shop in Honolulu, Hawaii

But if they can't get it, my go to LA supplier is Freestyle Photo:

Home | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

11-22-2016, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5
B&H Photo Representative

In the wake of the ValuJet Flight 592 crash on May 11, 1996, the federal government began cracking down on safety regulations for many different chemicals in airplane cargo holds. We don't ship ground so every order has to conform. We elected to observe the safety restrictions scrupulously and the result is a range of chemicals and similar items we cannot ship. Compressed air products like Beseler Duster fall under the same restrictions. More recently there have been similar issues with lithium batteries.

I am sorry this is new information for some of you and regret the inconvenience it causes.
11-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply both here and on APUG, Henry. I hope that B&H is able to re-visit the "no ground shipping" policy in the near future, as your company is an important resource in the dwindling suppliers of darkroom chemistry these days. Should Adorama also choose to mirror your position on these regulations, many would be left with only Freestyle - on the other side of the continent - for their chemistry needs.
11-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I get mine here: Film Photography Project Store | Film Photography Project

It helps support their show. (What show?)

11-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I get mine here: Film Photography Project Store | Film Photography Project

I love the podcast but haven't bought anything from their store yet. I have sent in some old forgotten gear though.
11-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
They have a regular podcast:
Film Photography Podcast 154 | Film Photography Project
in the latest episode you'll hear the K1000 is as popular as ever, but the Pentax 647 is falling out of fashion. The speculation is maybe the romance of medium format is outweighed by having to lug a giant camera around.
11-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
in the latest episode you'll hear the K1000 is as popular as ever, but the Pentax 647 is falling out of fashion. The speculation is maybe the romance of medium format is outweighed by having to lug a giant camera around.
Fads and fashion comes and goes. The 647? Did you mean 645 or 67? I've been married to my Pentax 645 for 30 years and do not find it too giant to lug....whereas the 67 is a bit too much for me.
11-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes. I meant the 67. The one with the wood grip. At least I think that's the one being referred to in the podcast.
11-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
It's between a rock and a hard place. I'll always lug around more weight for better image quality, I love the chemicals, the process and even the waiting, but digital is super convenient for sharing with other people online at high quality. I have my Pakon scanner, but it just can't match my K-1.
11-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's between a rock and a hard place. I'll always lug around more weight for better image quality, I love the chemicals, the process and even the waiting, but digital is super convenient for sharing with other people online at high quality. I have my Pakon scanner, but it just can't match my K-1.
If you ever want to sell that Pakon scanner, let me know.

Personally, if I'm going to deal with a medium format camera I'd just as soon shoot my 4x5. It's equally as heavy, and equally as difficult to process/scan/print for me, but gives you so much more control and image quality. The only medium format camera I have these days is a Holga, but I have a few 4x5 cameras and of course a couple 35mm too, besides my K-3.
11-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
If you ever want to sell that Pakon scanner, let me know.

Personally, if I'm going to deal with a medium format camera I'd just as soon shoot my 4x5. It's equally as heavy, and equally as difficult to process/scan/print for me, but gives you so much more control and image quality. The only medium format camera I have these days is a Holga, but I have a few 4x5 cameras and of course a couple 35mm too, besides my K-3.
Will do. I was planning to have my PZ-1P be my backup kit when the K-1 was too heavy, but it's really rather light with either the FA 43 or the D FA 28-105. The scanner was rather pricy at $800 refurbished. I think I would have rather poured the money into 4x5, myself.
11-22-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Will do. I was planning to have my PZ-1P be my backup kit when the K-1 was too heavy, but it's really rather light with either the FA 43 or the D FA 28-105. The scanner was rather pricy at $800 refurbished. I think I would have rather poured the money into 4x5, myself.
Scanning 4x5 pretty much means using a flatbed for normal people without the budget for a Hasselblad/Imacon scanner, but the quality of the negative is unmatched by anything else out there. Large format will probably be unmatched by digital for another 5 years at least.

I've got wet 20x24 prints from my 4x5 film that are grainless, tack sharp, and truly immersive. Nothing digital can match that, yet.