Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Scanning 4x5 pretty much means using a flatbed for normal people without the budget for a Hasselblad/Imacon scanner, but the quality of the negative is unmatched by anything else out there. Large format will probably be unmatched by digital for another 5 years at least.

I've got wet 20x24 prints from my 4x5 film that are grainless, tack sharp, and truly immersive. Nothing digital can match that, yet.
Ah, that sounds amazing... I really like the idea of setting up a wood field camera on my tripod, framing through the ground glass, and pulling the dark slide.

11-24-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone affected by B&H decision to stop shipping most darkroom chemicals
I heartily recommend Freestyle in California. They offer an extensive selection
at competitive prices. Shipping is fast and reasonably priced to the East Coast.

Freestyle continues to demonstrate a strong commitment to film photography.

http://freestylephoto.biz

Chris
11-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For anyone affected by B&H decision to stop shipping most darkroom chemicals
I heartily recommend Freestyle in California. They offer an extensive selection
at competitive prices. Shipping is fast and reasonably priced to the East Coast.

http://freestylephoto.biz

Chris
10% off on Kodak film. I never see film discounted. If I had a 4x5 camera, I'd be stockpiling.
11-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
10% off on Kodak film. I never see film discounted. If I had a 4x5 camera, I'd be stockpiling.
Wow, that is a good deal!

11-27-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
This can be stacked with their current cyber monday deal of SAVE10 for 10% off $150+ orders - this is a super deal on Kodak film! Whatever format you shoot - stock up now! When Hollywood goes 100% digital, Kodak film will be gone for good I fear - or at least will be so expensive it will no longer be worthwhile to shoot as I do now.
11-27-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This can be stacked with their current cyber monday deal of SAVE10 for 10% off $150+ orders - this is a super deal on Kodak film! Whatever format you shoot - stock up now! When Hollywood goes 100% digital, Kodak film will be gone for good I fear - or at least will be so expensive it will no longer be worthwhile to shoot as I do now.
That is a good deal, thanks for sharing. I donʻt believe it will ever go 100% digital, although currently it is over 80%. Hereʻs an interesting article published this year about digital vs. film statistics in the US top grossing films:

Film vs digital - What is Hollywood shooting on?
11-27-2016, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's an overview of Ilford's business from earlier this year. They're growing. But they do b&w exclusively.
You only need to watch the first 30 minutes. But the whole talk is interesting.

11-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Here's an overview of Ilford's business from earlier this year. They're growing. But they do b&w exclusively.
State of the Film Industry with Michael Bain of Ilford - YouTube
You only need to watch the first 30 minutes. But the whole talk is interesting.
Very interesting! I enjoyed watching that. Thanks for sharing.
11-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Harman/Ilford continues their strong support of film photography.
FWIW I have recently purchased 20+ rolls of Ilford HP5+ 35mm film.

Chris
11-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Harman/Ilford continues their strong support of film photography.
FWIW I have recently purchased 20+ rolls of Ilford HP5+ 35mm film.

Chris
You need to bulk load, my friend.
11-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After buying a ten roll brick of HP5+ I acquired 11 bulk-loaded rolls with a bulk loader.

I just bought a second Alden 74 bulk loader. One has an unknown length of Plus-X inside.
The other is empty, but I have 100 ft. of Panatomic-X and 50 ft. of original AGFA APX100.

Chris
11-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
......unless you don't have your own darkroom and are sending the film to a lab. Or you need to shoot 20 rolls at a time and you don't have 20 empty reloadable cassettes. Or you're shooting 400 ISO and using a camera that doesn't allow you to set your own ISO and has no exposure compensation and you don't want to compensate manually for every shot (DX coding labels used to be sold by Porter's Camera in Iowa).

I've also shot for clients that wanted standardized contact sheets with the shots numbered 00 thru 40 and not the random numbers you get from bulk-loading.

But for sure, if none of those are issues and you've got a few extra minutes, you can save a ton by bulk-loading if that emulsion is available in bulk.
11-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
DX coding labels used to be sold by Porter's Camera in Iowa.

I see Ultrafine sells reloadable cassettes with DX coding for ISO 100 and 400.

Chris
11-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Or you're shooting 400 ISO and using a camera that doesn't allow you to set your own ISO and has no exposure compensation and you don't want to compensate manually for every shot.
Honestly all of these reasons seemed like extreme edge cases given the thread topic is 'B&H No longer shipping darkroom chemistry'. The reason I don't bulk load is because I don't have a favourite type of film, and not every type of film (certainly not the most expensive kinds) are available for bulk loading.

Anyway, I'm replying because I'm curious: which Pentax films cameras don't let you set your own ISO and have no exposure compensation? My PZ-1P is super fancy, I know, but I figured setting ISO manually wouldn't be that non-standard of a feature.
11-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You can also buy used cassettes on eBay, or ask local labs if they have any they'll give you. Of course all the Fuji 400 and Gold 400 cassettes they have are DX coded. Their machines typically leave a small tongue sticking out of the cassette, all you have to do is tape on your bulk film and wind back in. Commercial cassettes have thinner felt traps and can't be reused as many times as reloadable cassettes, but they're fine for a good while.