Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pushed film for the first time...

Everything turned out!

Pushing Fuji Acros to ISO 200

12-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kudos! Iʻve shot many different emulsions but never Neopan. Was there a specific reason you chose to push Acros 100 to 200? What developer did you use?
12-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Kudos! Iʻve shot many different emulsions but never Neopan. Was there a specific reason you chose to push Acros 100 to 200? What developer did you use?
Thanks! I bought the film in summer, but it's been getting darker whenever I shoot, so the extra stop of light helped. Last round of film was all Kodak, so this time I decided to do all Illford (DD-X). 14 minute develop time, 10 second stop bath, 3 minute fixer, 10 minute distilled water bath.

I've never worked with dilution-based chemicals before, so I wanted to trial with this film before I developed those professional wedding photos I shot on HP5+.
12-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only use Microphen and the multi-lingual check lists for development , I think must have been designed by a convoluted math guy who probably
takes delight in all the pain felt by us poor guys trying to follow it.

By the way, I always get very good results with Microphen with HP5+, and I have used FP4 and HP5 since 1985 or so.

12-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I only use Microphen and the multi-lingual check lists for development , I think must have been designed by a convoluted math guy who probably
takes delight in all the pain felt by us poor guys trying to follow it.

By the way, I always get very good results with Microphen with HP5+, and I have used FP4 and HP5 since 1985 or so.
Hmm. What made you choose Microphen?
12-24-2016, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Hmm. What made you choose Microphen?
I forgot as it was a long time ago !
My plan with b/w /// C41 is to stay with Ilford microphen and/// Digibase C41 as long as possible.
Home developing is tough and time consuming and I strictly follow the instructions/past good results/ as far as possible.
I keep a log in the day book and write in all ...problems / variations/ observations

!! Bon Chance ! with your b/w photos ,
Regards!
12-24-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Acros is not most people's first choice for pushing but I have read that it can be done without any problems, so not sure why it's not regarded as a "pusher".

12-24-2016, 04:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

14 minute develop time, 10 second stop bath, 3 minute fixer, 10 minute distilled water bath.
Do you agitate the distilled water (e.g. as per the developing phase), simply immerse ("stand rinse", as it were), or recirculate it somehow?

(Which reminds me, I should try pushing a pack of Tmax 400 soon and see what happens.)
12-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! I bought the film in summer, but it's been getting darker whenever I shoot, so the extra stop of light helped. Last round of film was all Kodak, so this time I decided to do all Illford (DD-X). 14 minute develop time, 10 second stop bath, 3 minute fixer, 10 minute distilled water bath.

I've never worked with dilution-based chemicals before, so I wanted to trial with this film before I developed those professional wedding photos I shot on HP5+.
For years I just used Kodak D-76, but then tried ID-11 and ended up with Kodak XTol. DD-X is probably my favorite, but itʻs a bit pricier and seems best suited for Ilford Delta films, whereas the XTol has been the best compromise when using many different emulsions.
12-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Do you agitate the distilled water (e.g. as per the developing phase), simply immerse ("stand rinse", as it were), or recirculate it somehow?

(Which reminds me, I should try pushing a pack of Tmax 400 soon and see what happens.)
I agitated for about 30 seconds at the start of every step, then for 15 seconds every minute after that.

Push, push, push!

---------- Post added 12-24-16 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For years I just used Kodak D-76, but then tried ID-11 and ended up with Kodak XTol. DD-X is probably my favorite, but itʻs a bit pricier and seems best suited for Ilford Delta films, whereas the XTol has been the best compromise when using many different emulsions.
Interesting. What differences does the developer make?
12-24-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. What differences does the developer make?
Other than price, speed of developing, ease of prep, and shelf life, the main differences are in the shadow detail, grain, and acutance or sharpness.

For my school lab, Iʻve been using XTol because it has a good balance of all of the above, but is a compromise on all as well. For example D-76 is cheaper, but XTol doesnʻt require the very hot water for prep. Diafine is better than XTol for contrast, grain, and sharpness, but has a much slower developing time, etc.

Tons of articles online about this. Here are a few:

Choosing a B&W Film Developer | La Vida Leica!

How to Choose A Black and White Film Developer | Analog Film Photography

Nothing beats your own trial and error experience, but Iʻve found that D-76 or ID-11 are the least expensive general use for many different film stocks. At a higher price, XTol and Perceptol is a significant notch above. If youʻre shooting specific films, then specific developers are better such as Tmax developer for Tmax films and DD-X for Delta films.

Ilford presently makes 11 different B&W film developers simply because each one has a different characteristic that photographers need or desire.

Welcome to ILFORD PHOTO

And then youʻve got your Diafine/Acufine and other branded enthusiasts.....

Lots of variables which includes the film youʻre using, the process, and what results youʻre after.
12-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No developer is economical if you are throwing away half of the stock solution unused due to oxidation.
At home I develop only occasionally and find concentrated syrup-type developers with long shelf-life
like HC110, Rodinal and their clones to be the only reliable and economical alternatives.

Chris
01-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's one of the shots that came from this roll that I'm happiest with,

01-06-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

It's good in the foreground, very grainy towards the mountains. That being said, most of my unpushed work isn't any better, so I am merely offering comment, not judging harshly!

My current roll is in a P3 and can't be pushed (Dx coding only, no EV offset), but the one after? We shall see.
01-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

... I decided to do all Illford (DD-X). 14 minute develop time, 10 second stop bath, 3 minute fixer, 10 minute distilled water bath.
I agitated for about 30 seconds at the start of every step, then for 15 seconds every minute after that.
Some general film developing information. Ilford's published development times in their DD-X Data Sheet for a given exposure index rating is a function of how they agitated the film. If you use a significantly different agitation profile then what they used to establish a rated exposure index, you can expect to get different results.

That is, if you agitate the film more than what Ilford did ( eg more inversions in shorter period of time) , then you can expect the film to speed up and get more of a push processing effect even though you used the same development time. Similarly, a slower film speed results if you agitated it less then they did. You can compensate for that agitation profile by adjusting the development time within a range that's not too extreme. But that means you're establishing your own development time.

And per the DD-X data sheet under the Manual Processing Spiral Tanks, they say to invert the tank 4 times within 10 seconds of each minute of development. It's a good idea to read the data sheet for every chemical and film you use.