Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Pentax Auto Bellows A with Slide Copier A - Question

Hi there,

My Dad had an old ME Super that he used for copying slides on a Pentax Auto Bellows A with Slide Copier A. Later on he switched to a K100D Super. Most of the slides he did, I believe were done using the K100D.

The Pentax Auto Bellows A allows the ME Super to attach with no problems; but doesn't seem to attach to the K100D.

What I'd like to do is attach a Canon DSLR to the Pentax Auto Bellows A with a k mount to EOS adapter. (I have several of the old k mount lenses that I use on my Canon) The problem with my 7D Mark II as well is that the camera won't fit onto the mount due to the section of the bellows that sticks out at the base, where it attaches to the lens. (has the Pentax Auto Bellows A sticker on the attached photo)

Any suggestions on a mount extender of sorts, for attaching a body that won't quite turn into place?

Thanks!

Attached Images

01-02-2017, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extension tube?
01-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Fair enough, didn't think of that!

Thank you!
01-02-2017, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove the camera-facing mounting ring from the bellows (easy, just loosen the set screw) and mount it to the camera. Then you can re-attach camera and mount to the bellows without rotation.

01-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

You can find a copy of the user manual for this bellows and slide copier here:
Pentax auto slide bellows A, Pentax Slide copier A instruction manual, user manual
01-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Remove the camera-facing mounting ring from the bellows (easy, just loosen the set screw) and mount it to the camera. Then you can re-attach camera and mount to the bellows without rotation.
Ahhhh. This works better. This was really an experiment, first try, not to impressed with the results. Attached is a slide, which is pretty sharp using a loupe. Looks like this system causes the outside areas to loose focus.
Attached Images

01-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can find a copy of the user manual for this bellows and slide copier here:
Pentax auto slide bellows A, Pentax Slide copier A instruction manual, user manual
Thanks, I actually found this a little earlier. I appreciate it!
01-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I am going to try a Epson v550 scanner. Looks like it'll make my workflow much easier. Should I even consider finding a home for the Pentax Auto Bellows A with Slide Copier A? Or are these pretty much obsolete?

01-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not much demand for bellows units now. I've had one for Leicaflex for about 45 years and have used it rarely, and picked up an Auto Bellows A and slide copier a few years ago. It works well with a Sony A7, as the adapter gives enough clearance, and as a FF the magnification is right for copies. Slides in glass mounts (sandwiched in glass) stay much flatter and hold sharpness better into the corners, but re-mounting in glass is a pain. I have gotten fairly decent scans on an Epson v700.
01-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #10

Slide are seldom flat in the slide mount unless you have the glass slide mounts. This would account for why the edges are out of focus. Even when viewing slides in a slide projector you could see some of this. The heat from the projector lamp would often times cause the film chip to flatten out.
01-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by javapop Quote
Ahhhh. This works better. This was really an experiment, first try, not to impressed with the results. Attached is a slide, which is pretty sharp using a loupe. Looks like this system causes the outside areas to loose focus.
Little 6X loupes are not a tool to test for critical focus. For that I use the Autobellows, 40X microscope loupe or my Coolscan. A pro photog had me scan some slides for him and he was disappointed that the results were mostly out of focus so I had to show him it wasn't the scans but the slides themselves.

My 40X microscope. What you can see with this can be captured by the Coolscan.

01-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Slides in typical paper or plastic mounts do have a cuvature to them.. Mount them in glass mounts, even temporarily, to copy them and you should have good results.

PS- I have the A bellows also and added a short extension tube to the unit and it attaches to the camera fine. If you do not use the extension tube, and want to do a vertical shot by spinning the body on the lens axis, you cannot do this with the DSLRs without the extension tube.

Regards,
01-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another point about copying slides with a Pentax bellows + slide copier. If you are using an APS-C sensor, it is not possible to copy the entirety of a 35mm slide. I have tried with my K3 and Bellows A using 40mm, 50mm macro, 70mm, 100mm bellows and 50mm APO Componon lenses and no combination will allow copying all of a 35mm slide using the Bellows A and the slide-copy attachment. I have not yet tried with my K1, but its FF sensor should be able to copy all of a 35mm slide using a 50mm macro as the transfer lens, possibly using the 50mm APO Componon, although with the latter some step-up filter rings are needed to connect the slide-copy attachment to the front of the lens (necessary to avoid light-leaks from the side).
01-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax also made the Slide Holder K, that was an extension tube with a slot for the slide at the end.

PENTAX Slide Holder 1x, K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
02-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Look here: ...and scroll down about 4-5 posts to my post with instructions and photos .... This post was five years ago with my first APS-C camera (Kr). I've migrated a couple times to a K-3 and tweaked the process a bit (you have to also put extension tubes between the K-3 and bellows) and I'm using a better lens. But overall the process is the same.