Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Film for Woodland Wildflowers?

We're on the cusp of wildflower season here in the Smokies, and since I'm planning on introducing my P 67 into its native environment this Spring, I'd like your thoughts on what film seems to handle the delicate whites, pinks, and mauves you find this time of year.

Velvia 50 automatically comes to mind, but complicating matters some--at least here in the Southern Appalachians--is that there will usually be heavy shadows to contend with on the forest floor. Ektar, I'm also not sure about for the same reason (I also get the impression it's a pretty heavy hammer in the contrast department.) Portra 160--at least with the ubiquitous overexposure--seems to have ethereal qualities I like, but might be better suited for sunlit meadows than my deep, dark hollers.

No doubt this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions, but I'd be grateful for any insights!

02-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Velvia 50 automatically comes to mind
Velvia also has reciprocity losses at exposures above 4 seconds.

Ektar, I'm also not sure about for the same reason
Ektar will have more latitude regarding reciprocity failure than velvia.

Portra 160--at least with the ubiquitous overexposure--seems to have ethereal qualities I like, but might be better suited for sunlit meadows than my deep, dark hollers.
Have you considered Fuji Astia100F or Fuji Provia 100F?- if you can find some in 120 they are both excellent films. Astia100 will probably suit your needs better it is a somewhat subdued film - it is kind of the opposite of velvia.
02-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd second that recommendation to give Astia and Provia a try -- if you are planning to scan and post process in computer Astia is probably the way to go -- it is a bland film, however, and for landscapes I never thought it had much character. Provia is a good middleground. Velvia was my film of choice back in the day with Provia a close second, especially in contrasty situations. If you think you might catch some redbuds in bloom go with the Provia -- Velvia can do some pretty strange things with that particular color. Have fun shooting!
02-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What about Fuji pro 160?

02-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend Portra 400. This will help with contrast and help keep your shutter speed up.
02-19-2017, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Have you considered Fuji Astia100F or Fuji Provia 100F?

Thanks! I did a quick rundown of B&H's stock this afternoon and didn't see any 120 Astia--I'm not sure if it's readily available in the States, but it does seem have the profile I was alluding to. I will shoot some Velvia 50 this Spring, though, even if it might be a bit Die Walkurie for the subject matter.

---------- Post added 02-19-17 at 04:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
If you think you might catch some redbuds in bloom go with the Provia -- Velvia can do some pretty strange things with that particular color. Have fun shooting!

That's very good advice for this part of the world--redbud is a dominant understory species and one of the best reasons to be out in the Spring.

---------- Post added 02-19-17 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Fuji pro 160?

Thanks! I've seen some good work with Fuji pro 400, though in stronger lighting conditions than I usually find under my canopy...the colors are certainly fine to my eyes, though!

---------- Post added 02-19-17 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
help keep your shutter speed up

Ha, you've sold me on the Portra 400--and since locking down that 200/4 is a non-trivial challenge, faster is definitely better.
03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am not sure exactly the conditions you are faced with, how you extract the images from your film or how you will view the final images but if it helps here are some of my own examples from the some of the films listed as scanned on my Coolscan.

Larger version of Fuji Pro 400H

Larger version Fuji RVP50

Larger version Kodak Ektar 100

04-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very cool, Les--I definitely like how Velvia handles the yellow hibiscus stamens, but the Fuji Pro seems creamy as well in what appears to have been pretty harsh light.
04-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very cool, Les--I definitely like how Velvia handles the yellow hibiscus stamens, but the Fuji Pro seems creamy as well in what appears to have been pretty harsh light.
And there is also a higher speed Velvia 100 if you need the extra stop.
04-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji is only producing three slide films now, all are available in 135 & 120:

Velvia 50
Velvia 100
Provia 100F

All the rest have been discontinued.

Phil.