Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lab Box

Now this looks very interesting, and would be very handy indeed

LAB-BOX - The first multi-format daylight-loading film tank by ars-imago ? Kickstarter

load film and process on the spot

Last edited by beachgardener; 03-03-2017 at 04:36 AM.
03-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, you still need the chemicals, but this IS a great product! Why did it take until the digital age to come up with it!

I wold interested in a review of the single develop/fix chemistry to understand how permanent the process would be.

Film is ALIVE!!!!
03-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
OK, you still need the chemicals, but this IS a great product! Why did it take until the digital age to come up with it!

I wold interested in a review of the single develop/fix chemistry to understand how permanent the process would be.

Film is ALIVE!!!!
It wasn't because of the digital or no digital. It's because of 3D printing age, they are able to make prototype fast and cheap.. In reality, all they did is basically design a way you can unload the film without fuzz in the darkroom. It's no differ than use bulk film loader but in reverse order. The only innovation here is to make film develop solution into powder form. You just have to add water to it.
03-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that's impressive, something I might actually try.

Phil.

03-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Now that's impressive, something I might actually try.
Yeah, I have never (emphasis on the never) been tempted to try to develop my own film until I looked at this. I just spent an hour surfing concoctions of odd developer/film combos. Pretty cool little gadget.
03-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

I signed up on the first day. I have always wanted to start developing my own film but was scared off by the need for film bags etc. And I lack of a good place in our old farm house to develope it. If this works I can do it right at the Kitchen counter with the large south facing window overlooking a bean field.
03-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

To me the concept was great! However, I've been in the darkroom for years before. I truly understand the process also involves with "what kind of solution" to pair up with what kind of film. How long, how expensive, how to dispose those chemical.. Even water temperature matters as well! but in the video, it doesn't show solutions for any of my concerns. The traditional method involved with these steps : Develop Film at Home! A Step-by-Step Guide | B&H Explora

03-17-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think an alternative if found is the Jobo 2400 daylight tank
05-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just found out about this, and came over here to see if anyone was discussing it.
I have lamented on here in the past about the impossibility of having film done locally anymore, and mail order with Canada Post's stupid parcel rates isn't really practical. I never really wanted to try doing it myself, but this is making me think twice.
Do you guys think this sounds too good to be true?

They don't say a whole lot about colour other than you can "experiment" with it. And how would you manage the temperature with it? I only shoot colour. So how complicated do you think it would be to do colour in this thing? I assume there's more to it than just pouring some stuff in it and swishing it around... I mean, there must be several types of "stuff" for colour...
I know nothing about colour developing but wow, if this worked and I could get the chemicals, I might just consider getting one. Alas, it looks like the Kickstarter campaign is over :'(
05-13-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Do you guys think this sounds too good to be true?
It is not too good to be true, their device is basically a modern version of the Agfa Rondinax.

05-15-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was old is new again!
05-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just for the records, there is a blog dedicated to these daylight developing tanks.
05-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
It is not too good to be true, their device is basically a modern version of the Agfa Rondinax.
Ooooohh.... Thanks for posting that. Total newbie is intrigued. I had time to watch one of the videos and look up eBay. It looks pretty simple. ....but I want to shoot colour....
So is the Lab Box basically the same thing? And how much more complicated would it be to do colour? It sounds like temperature would be the biggest challenge. Are there room-tempearature colour processes...?
05-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The biggest difference is the liquid capacity, the Rondinax is meant for 200ml (Which only partially submerge the reel) while the Lab-Box can hold 500ml (which completely submerge the reel).
08-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Ooooohh.... Thanks for posting that. Total newbie is intrigued. I had time to watch one of the videos and look up eBay. It looks pretty simple. ....but I want to shoot colour....
So is the Lab Box basically the same thing? And how much more complicated would it be to do colour? It sounds like temperature would be the biggest challenge. Are there room-tempearature colour processes...?
Hey it's been a while.

I don't think the Rondinax 35 was originally intended for colour, however, it does not seem to stop people from using it for that purpose.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 08-08-2017 at 08:07 AM.