Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Thoughts on hybrid workflow--"appropriate" level of PP?

This is probably one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions, but as I'm taking baby-steps working with scans of my first roll of 120 from my P 67, I'm curious how "aggressive" you feel you can be in post and still keep the je ne sais quoi element of film in the final product. Are there any "moves" that work in digital that absolutely don't work with film--or is everything on the table in regards to the (tasteful) application of the full suite of Photoshop tools?

Insights greatly appreciated!

Last edited by CreationBear; 03-30-2017 at 07:27 AM.
03-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pretty much edit to your hearts content. Though if you feel that the photo is over-processed, it is.
03-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Whatever it takes to get the result you want. Generally speaking though, less is more.
03-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I am editing my scans, I try to limit what I do to levels, tone curve, and light sharpening. Mostly because I find that is all I need to do. Sometimes I will correct barrel distortion or perspective correction.

03-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
less is more

Thanks for the insights, guys...I definitely get the "less is more" aesthetic (otherwise I'd be hanging out at 500 px
) but I must admit that keeping the skies in my landscape shots seems a daunting challenge (though Colton, among others, seems to get everything done in "one take.")
03-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a close-up with the Takumar 67 90 LS
( I recall Fuji 160 ns)
https://app.box.com/s/yixnqbmuynemujgzqa6jinz02yq76ekj

This has applied deconvolution to broaden the DOF and hence sharpen the photo all over.
But I am not sure if it is better than the original.
https://app.box.com/s/x824rcigzx23afzqi0mvhk2xw9zl7vj4
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
je nais se quoi
Searched, but found no translation.

Last edited by wombat2go; 03-29-2017 at 06:19 PM.
03-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Searched, but found no translation.

Ha, hiccupped and elided the "ne" in "je ne sais quoi"--I would make a bad Monty Python knight.

At any rate, those are very interesting examples--my preference is for the first, but I had to look at it a couple of times before it grew on me...what seemed too "dreamy" at first seemed to resolve itself. The second has that digital vibe that sparked my initial question--if I didn't know better, I'd think that it had been shot with a K5 and a DA Limited lens (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Last edited by CreationBear; 03-30-2017 at 07:21 AM.
03-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Thanks for the insights, guys...I definitely get the "less is more" aesthetic (otherwise I'd be hanging out at 500 px
) but I must admit that keeping the skies in my landscape shots seems a daunting challenge (though Colton, among others, seems to get everything done in "one take.")
A lot of keeping the skies comes with the initial exposure. If they were blown out at capture, no amount of PP will bring back what's gone on a piece of film because it literally got washed down the drain with the developer and fix. Graduated filters, both on camera and in PS or LR can help with evening out an image too. Fortunately negative film is pretty forgiving!

I agree with Colton however. Invert the colors, fix the WB to kill the orange mask, adjust contrast, tone, and brightness to get the image where it "should" be and let the film do the heavy work if you want to keep the character of the film stock. Otherwise, it's just a digital image once it's in the computer, edit to your heart's content.
03-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
with the initial exposure

Ha, Colton and others make that seem a little easier than it is. FWIW I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have too many flubs with exposure even though it was also my first rodeo with an incident meter--a Sekonic L398 no less...if you're going to go Old School...
03-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
A lot of keeping the skies comes with the initial exposure. If they were blown out at capture...
If you're shooting C41, it's actually pretty difficult to blow highlights. Usually, blown highlights (from C41) are the result of clipping in scanning.

This was purposely overexposed 5+ stops in the hot summer sun.