Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this typical of FP4+?

I shot my first roll of Ilford FP4+ and got the scans back from the lab a few days ago. To be honest, I was not impressed when I opened up the files. To my eye, the scans were dull and washed out. See the "before" photos on the left. Is this the "look" of FP4+?

I imported them into Lightroom, let auto tone do it's thing, and they came out closer to my preference for black-and-white photos. See the "after" photos on the right.

The lab is Citizens Photo in Portland, Oregon. They've done multiple rolls of HP5+ for me and they've always came out great, without needing anything done on my part other sharpening.

Attached Images

04-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do the negs look like? As always with scans (i.e. raws), there's a lot of scope for processing to taste.
04-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better contrast, "real" blacks" .... I really like the "after" looks !
04-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

To me, the 'before' shots seem far more detailed, with a smoother gradation of tones - the 'after' shots, although more contrasty, lose fine detail at the expense of being more 'punchy'. After all, not all shots contain deep blacks and Persil whites.

04-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
What do the negs look like? As always with scans (i.e. raws), there's a lot of scope for processing to taste.
I haven't picked up the negatives yet. When I do, I'll have a look at them under the light table at the lab.

For context, I'm trying to figure out a "go-to" 100-ish speed BW film. FP4+ was the first candidate. I assumed it was going to be a for-sure winner since I really like HP5+. I'm mid-roll with Delta. TMax is up after that. On the bright side, I really like the grain (or lack of) of the FP4+.
04-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I haven't picked up the negatives yet. When I do, I'll have a look at them under the light table at the lab.

For context, I'm trying to figure out a "go-to" 100-ish speed BW film. FP4+ was the first candidate. I assumed it was going to be a for-sure winner since I really like HP5+. I'm mid-roll with Delta. TMax is up after that. On the bright side, I really like the grain (or lack of) of the FP4+.
Have you tried Fuji Acros 100? I've always really liked that.

I know it's frowned upon(!) but I've also had good results with XP2 (and easy to find cheap and fast processing)...
04-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't used FP4+ in years; it may have been FP4 when I tried it.
I only shot a few rolls. All were a bit muddy and lacking contrast.
I was surprised at the poor results compared to my reliable HP5.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.
04-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Have you tried Fuji Acros 100? I've always really liked that.

I know it's frowned upon(!) but I've also had good results with XP2 (and easy to find cheap and fast processing)...
Acros is on my list but the shop didn't have any in stock. I peruse the Fuji forums every now and then since I have an X70. The Acros film simulation in the newer Fuji cameras seem to be all the rage. Eager to try some of the real stuff.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
To me, the 'before' shots seem far more detailed, with a smoother gradation of tones - the 'after' shots, although more contrasty, lose fine detail at the expense of being more 'punchy'. After all, not all shots contain deep blacks and Persil whites.
Thanks for that perspective. Maybe I need to broaden my tastes a bit.
04-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FP4+ is an unusual emulsion with extended tonal range that was popular in medium format. I also noticed it seemed flat, but I liked it better after shifting to Rodinal for development. I much prefer the look of PanF (ISO 50), which reminds me of my old favorite PanatomicX. Recently I've had good results from Delta 100, which I much prefer to Tmax. Ilford DD-X gives me the best results with the Delta films.
04-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I wouldn't expect lab scans to have a contrast curve adjusted to your taste. They are done with automagic settings.

Lab development is like out of camera JPEGs in digital. If you want more expression and control, you process them in a RAW/Image editor. Similarly, it's not much different with BW film. You develop it yourself so you can do more than average development (eg highlight compression/expansion, pushing, etc) and you scan them yourself so you can adjust the contrast curve to your taste. Its a lot of work and more suited to larger formats where you typically shoot fewer frames.

FP4+ in Rodinal 1+100 stand development. It doesn't look muddy to me.

Last edited by tuco; 04-25-2017 at 02:44 PM.
04-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I had a X100 too. Sometimes there were highlights that could be recovered and shadows that could be pulled up when SOOC wasn't up for the task.
04-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you're getting good results (as always) with your Ilford FP4+ tuco. For medium/slow speed
film I relied on Plus-X which gave me good results using Microdol-X, my standard developer then.
I also liked the look of AGFA APX100 developed in Rodinal. I'm not sure what film I'd choose now.

I prefer a film that gives me a fairly contrasty negative in HC110 now, using standard development;
one that when properly exposed allows me to make a good straight print using grade 2 or 3 paper.

FWIW my favorite digital camera is my Fuji X100 because the SOOC JPEGs are just so good...

Chris
04-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Lab development is like out of camera JPEGs in digital. If you want more expression and control, you process them in a RAW/Image editor. Similarly, it's not much different with BW film.
Do you mean to imply that scans from color films don't require as much postprocessing (generally speaking)? That matches my experience so far.

Love the lemonade shot, BTW
04-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW lately I'm looking for the ideal medium speed 35mm BW negative film.
Eastman 5222 seems to be the best acceptable compromise for my taste.

Chris
04-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For context, I'm trying to figure out a "go-to" 100-ish speed BW film.
Have you tried Fuji Acros 100?
Acros is an excellent film and has the added benefit of little loss of reciprocity on long exposures. My only caution would be that Acros has limited red and mildly increased blue sensitivity when compared to other panchromatic films. Fuji attaches the label "orthopanchromatic" and what it means in general shooting is that blue skies tend to render lighter than one might desire. As a result, I generally shoot Acros with a yellow filter when doing landscapes.

Acros is on my list but the shop didn't have any in stock.
I believe that Pro Photo downtown usually has Acros 100 in stock, but be prepared for a premium price wherever you find it.

Steve