Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Favorite films for BW medium format landscapes

Hi, Team,

I'm prepping for a trip to Seattle next month and I will be taking some landscapes with my Pentax 67. I want to get as much detail as reasonably possible for a beginner since want to make prints as big as the quality of the exposures allows. I'll be using a tripod and a 50mm lens at around f/11 or f/16 (I imagine.)

I bought several rolls of Ultrafine xtreme 400 to play around with because it was cheap. But since this is a serious opportunity to get great shots I am considering buying other types of film to make the most out of the trip.

I've never hand-developed film before, so I don't think I'm ready for anything advanced, like CMS 20, for example.

I'm definitely considering some Velvia 50 or Tmax 100. Any other suggestions or favorites for making larger prints? I may want to take a few rolls of color to goof around with as well. Thanks!

05-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite B&W film is Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100.
05-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For true B&W film, you might also want to consider which developer you will be using as the developer can/will be a factor in how the film perform.
Fuji Acros and Kodak TMAX 100 are good choices for a landscape film. I really like Ilford FP4 125.
Another option (especially if you're having a lab process your film) is Ilford XP2, which is a 400 iso C41 B&W film. It is very forgiving with exposure, and very fine grained.

For color negative film, Kodak Ektar is superb.
05-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some scenes will be better with one BW film/developer combo and other scenes better with yet another BW film/developer combo. I shoot with 2 types of developers primarily. One is really good for extreme highlight compression but sucks at expansion, for example. And another developer is good for slow, cubic grain films and typically yields a different look and feel.

05-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

You should look at Ilford Pan F 50 if you are doing tripod shots.
05-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tri X and Tmax 400, depending on clear skies or overcast and rain.
05-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grain is good!

If you will be wet printing using an enlarger in a darkroom you may find it difficult to use a grain focusing aid with slower, fine-grain films.
Though not a problem with small formats, as the size of your negative increases apparent grain size diminishes for any given print size.

A faster film will allow smaller apertures, important since depth-of-field is less at longer focal lengths typically used in medium format.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-27-2017 at 04:12 PM.
05-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you want low iso film there's Rollei RPX 25 (which can be pulled/pushed 1 stop). Although price wise it's on the higher end at $9.49 (at b&h).