Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dslr + enlarger film scanning

While waiting for my other darkroom equipment to arrive, I wanted to digitize the negatives. I ended up using my enlarger without the lens as a negative holder + light table. Luckily you can turn it sideways, as if to project the photo on a wall. I used an M42 bellows with a 50mm Takumar at the smallest extension (2-3 cm). This gave me a comfortable working distance of about 15 cm, and the negative almost completely filled the frame. The enlarger has quite strong light, so you can easily shoot at f8.

The resulting photo is grainy, but I quite like the effect!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5  Photo 
05-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #2

Nice idea, I'll need to try this at my local darkroom too!
05-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
Nice idea, I'll need to try this at my local darkroom too!
Thanks! It took a while to find a good working combo. I tried first with a 28mm close-focusing lens, but it was too wide. So I ended up with the 50mm on bellows. I don't really like using the M42 bellows on the K20D, because its annoying to mount it on the camera - the protruding flash blocks the bellows from screwing into the adapter nicely. But so far I didn't find K bellows for cheap
05-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How do you focus? Are you basically focusing the enlarger on the camera's sensor plane?

05-28-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How do you focus? Are you basically focusing the enlarger on the camera's sensor plane?
No, I have removed the lens from the enlarger. I focus with the bellows + moving the whole camera on the tripod. I focus on the film itself. I only use the enlarger as a comfortable light table, with nicely clamped down negatives.