Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Strange Scan Results

Hello,

Just received the scans of my first roll of AgfaPhoto CT Precia 100 (which presumably is Fuji Provia 100F, but cheaper). The last few frames have something similar to a light leak:

However, other frames are normal (though a magenta cast does exist, but I was able to remove it with DxO OpticsPro):

(Before correction)

(After correction)

Does this indicate that I got a bad roll, or something happened during developing and scanning?

Sincerely

06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first suspicion is film exposed to X-ray but then that would be on the first shots, not last, assuming you're shooting with a camera that winds normally (not Canon Rebel or Nikon N55). And since you haven't seen this problem before with the same camera, you can probably eliminate the camera as the cause.

Do you see this anomaly on the film? If so, it was caused by the lab in processing. If not, then it happened in scanning, although I've never seen this sort of issue in scanning.
06-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That is weird. If it was an issue with the camera it would have effected the the whole roll (or at least a large portion of it). Like Alex645 said, if you can see it on the film then it's likely the lab that processed messed up somewhere when developing it (one of the developers is probably going bad & needs to be replaced), although it's weird that it only effected a few shots and not the whole roll.
06-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks to be the development process. Often the end frames find their way out of the solution and can generate such flaws. The overall hue is also a red flag (pun intended).

06-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Is that frame one?
06-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My first suspicion is film exposed to X-ray but then that would be on the first shots, not last, assuming you're shooting with a camera that winds normally (not Canon Rebel or Nikon N55). And since you haven't seen this problem before with the same camera, you can probably eliminate the camera as the cause.

Do you see this anomaly on the film? If so, it was caused by the lab in processing. If not, then it happened in scanning, although I've never seen this sort of issue in scanning.
The lab usually mails batches back together, so I asked the owner to inspect the slides, and he says that the cast does exist on the originals. The film was loaded in a ME Super and I was out in the summer sun for an entire day, and the lab suspected that it was caused by sunlight.

The lab has a Hassie Flextight X5 drum scanner, and I wonder if I can do a better correction if I ask them to rescan the roll with X5 and return raw files back. There are a few frames that I might have to rescue for publication purposes.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 10:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Is that frame one?
The last frame. Number 37.

06-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
The lab usually mails batches back together, so I asked the owner to inspect the slides, and he says that the cast does exist on the originals. The film was loaded in a ME Super and I was out in the summer sun for an entire day, and the lab suspected that it was caused by sunlight.
a) All that this means, is that the problem is not caused by the scanner.
b) Just because the cast is on the originals doesnʻt mean the damage wasnʻt caused by the lab in processing the film.
c) Yes, it is possible that your camera has a light leak IF you were at the end of the roll, and left the camera in the sun for the day before rewinding the film.

A better scanner is not going to fix the problem. It will only give you a larger file that can handle more post-processing. If the entire exposure was fogged, it would be a lot easier to fix. But with a partial area, it will take a lot of skill and time on your part to render a useable fix. I would suggest now carefully inspecting your ME Super for any deformity or missing felt that is allowing the light leak.
06-03-2017, 01:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
b) Just because the cast is on the originals doesnʻt mean the damage wasnʻt caused by the lab in processing the film.
c) Yes, it is possible that your camera has a light leak IF you were at the end of the roll, and left the camera in the sun for the day before rewinding the film.

A better scanner is not going to fix the problem. It will only give you a larger file that can handle more post-processing. If the entire exposure was fogged, it would be a lot easier to fix. But with a partial area, it will take a lot of skill and time on your part to render a useable fix. I would suggest now carefully inspecting your ME Super for any deformity or missing felt that is allowing the light leak.
But light leak can't explain why the fogging was most obvious at the end of the roll. The camera was actually left sitting when it was first loaded, when I was using my digital camera.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 01:36 AM ----------

The frame I was interested in using for publication is the second sample, which I posted both the original and my attempted fix in DxO. The color is mostly normal but with a very slight magenta cast on my phone. I am interested in if I get the scans in linear raw can I do a better job in fixing the cast?

Of course I will try to reshoot, but if I can't make my time or the weather doesn't play well I will have no choice but to try to salvage from this roll.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 02:27 AM ----------

My ME Super never had a light leak, even with much faster film like Portra 800. I don't know if it is AgfaPhoto's QA to blame, as I have read somewhere the CT Precia 100 I used is actually Provia that didn't meet Fuji's Professional QA - hence much cheaper.

06-03-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
But light leak can't explain why the fogging was most obvious at the end of the roll. The camera was actually left sitting when it was first loaded, when I was using my digital camera.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 01:36 AM ----------

The frame I was interested in using for publication is the second sample, which I posted both the original and my attempted fix in DxO. The color is mostly normal but with a very slight magenta cast on my phone. I am interested in if I get the scans in linear raw can I do a better job in fixing the cast?

Of course I will try to reshoot, but if I can't make my time or the weather doesn't play well I will have no choice but to try to salvage from this roll.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 02:27 AM ----------

My ME Super never had a light leak, even with much faster film like Portra 800. I don't know if it is AgfaPhoto's QA to blame, as I have read somewhere the CT Precia 100 I used is actually Provia that didn't meet Fuji's Professional QA - hence much cheaper.
Okay...so if you left the camera in the sun while it was at the beginning of the roll, youʻre right, and your camera has never shown signs of a light leak before, I doubt that it is your camera. It is either:

a) The lab. Processing slide film is complicated. Iʻve done it by hand and with an E-6 machine. But without going into details, itʻs easy to mess up. Iʻve been shooting chrome since 1972. Iʻve only had two labs never, ever mess up my slide processing: A&I in Los Angeles, and back in the day when Kodak had pre-paid mailers and sending it to one of their regional labs.

b) Yes if Fuji dumped defective film to Agfa, the film could have already had the problem, or the problem was caused when Agfa reloaded the film into their canisters.

Sorry, I didnʻt carefully read your point about the scanner and yes, a linear RAW scan will give you much more ability to fix that second image. BTW: As you probably know, the high speed train in Japan is called the Shinkansen or Bullet train, in France itʻs the TGV (Train ā Grande Vitesse)...what is the train called that youʻre shooting?
06-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
BTW: As you probably know, the high speed train in Japan is called the Shinkansen or Bullet train, in France itʻs the TGV (Train ā Grande Vitesse)...what is the train called that youʻre shooting?
We simply call it CRH (China Railway High-speed). We are really not that good at naming things, but hey it's the hardest thing in computer science.

Last edited by butangmucat; 06-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.
06-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I did notice the CRH on that train...interesting itʻs an English acronym. Well I think the Panda is one of the most adorable creatures on the planet and I think thatʻs well named....although I read somewhere that in China the Panda is called "large bear cat" and that somehow we got the name Panda from the Nepalese for "bamboo eater".