Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you use ratcheting reels?

07-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Did you use ratcheting reels?
Yeah, the racheting reels came with the Patterson tank.
07-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
After four rolls of Fomapan 200 which went on slick and easy, it was a shock to go back to Kodak and find that the roll of TriX I recently shot wanted to play hardball with going onto the Patterson spool.
Good point. Not all films created equal; Kodak tends to be a lot thicker and the tape used to attach it to the spool is a pain to remove. Using scissors in total darkness? Not a skill set practiced in elementary school.

Ilford, Kentmere, and Fujifilms seem to be thinner overall and load easier. I appreciate that Ilford doesn't use tape at the spool end and I can just snap it off.

With 120, however, I find the thicker Kodak easier to load than the thinner alternatives. But licking the Kodak adhesive to close the paper roll after unloading the camera is just nasty. Ilford uses an adhesive that is minty and sweet. Thin mints anyone?
07-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nearly any 35mm film, thick or thin, is a piece of cake after you've tried to load some
thin-base 120 (or worse yet 220) film onto a balky auto-load adjustable plastic reel.

I find it much easier to visualize what my hands are doing inside a changing bag
in daylight than in complete darkness. Try it and you will understand.

It is critical everything - especially the reels - be super dry before use.
I cannot overstress the importance of this. If in doubt use a blow drier.

Chris