Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 04:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I haven't used the Reflect so I cannot compare it directly, but it seems to get good reviews.
Thanks for the clarification as I had the mistaken impression you owned the Reflecta.

08-12-2017, 06:39 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Further to the discussion, I just tried out some slide scans on the v600.

The provenance of the ~30-yo 35mm slides is a bit hazy. The film used is either K64 originals of artwork shot in direct sunlight with a polarizer (Rollei SL35, Xenon 50/1.8), OR E6 lab copies of same (I lean towards the latter).

The slides are in glass gepe mounts (i.e. plastic mounts with thin glass sandwiching the actual film). I feared this would cause some newton-ring stuffs, but did not see any evidence of same in the scans. They were scanned @ 3200ppi, 48-bit, with auto-color and sharpening, converted to sRGB (from Epson RGB) and downsampled to 24-bit before final PP and scaling in Gimp.

I'm well pleased with the color accuracy and overall sharpness, at least for the purpose of screen display.

Edit: I just remembered the ceramic head (1st slide below) was not shot in direct sunlight with polarizer, but indoors with photofloods and (likely) 80a filter.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 08-12-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: remembered stuff
08-12-2017, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Further to the discussion, I just tried out some slide scans on the v600.
All the technical discussions showing why flatbed scanners cannot perform as well as the more expensive dedicated film scanners does not mean that you cannot extract very good results from them as your examples clearly show.
08-13-2017, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
All the technical discussions showing why flatbed scanners cannot perform as well as the more expensive dedicated
film scanners does not mean that you cannot extract very good results from them as your examples clearly show.

Flatbeds can produce excellent scans and are quite sufficient for many users.

Most photo flatbed models can scan multiple slides/negatives simultaneously.
Though they're typically not real speedy in this mode it is quite a convenience.

Chris

08-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Though they're typically not real speedy in this mode it is quite a convenience.

Chris
The v600 is averaging 2-3 mins per neg/slide 48-bit@3200ppi, double that with ICE. I've done a couple of 24x rolls, including the downsample to 24-bit CS3 action runs about an hour per roll.

My pc is maxed out with 2G ram, a faster pc would probably be... faster.
08-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Chris
You are right as that is a quick way to see a whole roll . . .

08-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Les, how did you fit all 36 frames on a single scanner proof sheet?
AFAIK the stock Epson negative holder accommodates four strips of six.

Do you use some sort of custom holder, lay the negative strips directly on the platen
(and cover them with a sheet of anti-Newton Ring glass), or merge two image files?

Chris

08-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Hey Les, how did you fit all 36 frames on a single scanner proof sheet?
AFAIK the stock Epson negative holder accommodates four strips of six.
In this case, I just laid them directly on the glass and tried to overlap them to keep as much within the scanning area.
09-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So I finally had a chance to test out some medium format in the v600, and again I'm very pleased with the result. These are kodak epn 6012 (ektachrome 100 pro) 120, shot in~1990 on a Mamiyaflex c2 TLR in natural, north light, scanned @2400ppi, 48-bit, low unsharp mask, dust and scratch removal (this doesn't work nearly as well as the epson "digital ICE", which doesn't work at all on positive film anyway, and may cause overall softening of the scan), similar CS3 --> GIMP PP as the 35mm samples I posted earlier.

(yes I know images are broken, hopefully they'll come back up RSN)
09-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian

How about your own minilab scanner like the Noritsu -> Noritsu LS-600 Film Scanner Review
Now that is more promising then relying on the lab operator to apply their automatic settings. I didn't even know they had ICE and the ability to enable/disable it?
09-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
How about your own minilab scanner like the Noritsu -> Noritsu LS-600 Film Scanner Review
Now that is more promising then relying on the lab operator to apply their automatic settings. I didn't even know they had ICE and the ability to enable/disable it?
An impressive machine, waaay out of my price range (I paid Can.$175 for the epson all in).

Also, it don't do MF.
09-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
An impressive machine, waaay out of my price range (I paid Can.$175 for the epson all in).

Also, it don't do MF.
I figure it's an option to the Coolscan 5000.
09-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canoscan 9000f... buy the mark i not the mark ii
(mark ii comes with no special software. but has energy saving... ooo wow!)
mark I comes with silverfast se software that offers pretty much everything you would wish for, but the software is restricted to the one scanner you own AFAIK.

you could also buy the mark II , what would give you no advantages except this energy saving mode....
if you decide for the latter, you may want to buy vuescan instead of silverfast.
Vuescan is multi-platform software (available for the holy trinity -Linux, MAC, Windows.)and not restricted to use only one specific scanner with it I fancy.

both scanners sport 9600x9600dpi scans at 48 bit and come with frames for mid format(6) and 135 negatives.... there even is an APS-film frame available somewhere on the net.

I have one and think its quite easy to use. (bought for app. 180 bucks)

There you go 120MP full frame camera ... Guess the resolution for a mid-format scan.

Last edited by patarok; 09-11-2017 at 02:27 AM.
09-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As my V500 don't work very well, I switched to Plustek OpticFim 120, very expensive, but very good...
09-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
As my V500 don't work very well, I switched to Plustek OpticFim 120, very expensive, but very good...
That's like going from a Trabant to a Porsche...