Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fujifilm CU 135-36 Fujicolor Superia 1600?

I saw this film stocked by B&H. Fujifilm CU 135-36 Fujicolor Superia 1600 Color Print 15413006

Anyone have any idea what this is? Is it related in anyway to the Natura 1600?

Sincerely

10-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I saw this film stocked by B&H. Fujifilm CU 135-36 Fujicolor Superia 1600 Color Print 15413006

Anyone have any idea what this is? Is it related in anyway to the Natura 1600?

Sincerely
I am almost certain they are one in the same; different marketing and branding, but the same emulsion.
10-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the generic name for Fujifilm's 1600-rated "consumer" color negative film. Fujifilm publishes data sheets on their web site.
10-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
It's the generic name for Fujifilm's 1600-rated "consumer" color negative film. Fujifilm publishes data sheets on their web site.
Is Natura 1600 the same thing?

Sincerely

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

---------- Post added 10-15-17 at 08:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I am almost certain they are one in the same; different marketing and branding, but the same emulsion.
I know that the Industrial films are reported to be standard Superia, however some reported them to have less saturation and contrast. Don't know what's going on.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言

10-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I understand that Natura has lower contrast than the standard 1600 Superia, which this film seems to be.
10-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know that the Industrial films are reported to be standard Superia, however some reported them to have less saturation and contrast. Don't know what's going on.
There is going to be a lot of subjectivity and I've also read where individuals have reported differences. I know Fujifilm currently offers two grades of color neg film in the US; Superia and PRO. Considering how the film market has downsized, I can't imagine that they would market a third type called Natura. Their Superia XTRA does have a bit more vibrance and saturation than the straight Superia.

Out of college, I used to manage a one-hour photo lab. Although Kodak's C-41 is compatible to Fujifilm's CN-16, they are not 100% identical. Kodak chems are optimized for Kodak emulsions and Fujifilm chems are optimized for Fujifilm emulsions. Konica (called Konishiroku in Japan) had their CNK-4 equivalent, and the most drastic difference that I saw was with Agfa's AP-70 process. Agfa color print film processed in AP-70 looks correct, but if processed in C-41 or CN-16, I got Instagram filter-like results.

So all this makes me wonder if people reporting differences are comparing Superia and Natura processed in Fujifilm's own CN-16 or is the Superia processed outside of Japan in Kodak's C-41 vs. the Natura processed in Japan with more than likely, Fujifilm's own CN-16?
10-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Originally posted by JensE
I haven't ever come across a "Natura" here in Germany. The Fujifilm US website doesn't list any 1600-speed negative film. The contrast (in fact, all) curves in the above linked datasheet from the "Global" website, which doesn't list the "Natura" either, are the very same as the curves in the datasheet for the Natura on the Japanese site. Together, this indicates that the "Superia" and "Natura" are likely just imported into the US from production for different target markets, where they are sold under different names, but are otherwise meant to be the very same film.

10-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There is going to be a lot of subjectivity and I've also read where individuals have reported differences. I know Fujifilm currently offers two grades of color neg film in the US; Superia and PRO. Considering how the film market has downsized, I can't imagine that they would market a third type called Natura. Their Superia XTRA does have a bit more vibrance and saturation than the straight Superia.

Out of college, I used to manage a one-hour photo lab. Although Kodak's C-41 is compatible to Fujifilm's CN-16, they are not 100% identical. Kodak chems are optimized for Kodak emulsions and Fujifilm chems are optimized for Fujifilm emulsions. Konica (called Konishiroku in Japan) had their CNK-4 equivalent, and the most drastic difference that I saw was with Agfa's AP-70 process. Agfa color print film processed in AP-70 looks correct, but if processed in C-41 or CN-16, I got Instagram filter-like results.

So all this makes me wonder if people reporting differences are comparing Superia and Natura processed in Fujifilm's own CN-16 or is the Superia processed outside of Japan in Kodak's C-41 vs. the Natura processed in Japan with more than likely, Fujifilm's own CN-16?
It makes a huge difference which chemistry the films are lab-processed in. Also if the chemicals are less than fresh.