Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I had the same problem with my 7500i, silverfast 6.6 and Windows 10 64 bit.

Like you I managed to get it to work but its still a bit flaky. It doesn't like to multitask for me. If I try doing some web browsing while a scan is in progress, silverfast throws a fit and has to be restarted.

I only use my scanner for proofing my film before wet printing so I can't justify the expense of upgrading to the 64 bit friendly version.
They say version 8 Of Silverfast is suppose to fix that. But I haven’t checked into what the cost of upgrading is. It may be worth it since the new version of the scanner is near $500 for the SE version.

---------- Post added 11-21-2017 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
VueScan Pro doesn't cost a lot and is hardware agnostic. Zero issues with. 64 bjt Win 0.
Does VueScan work with the Plustek? Plustek shipped with Silverfast. If it would I’d consider trying it. It can’t glitch any more than what I have now.

11-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I downloaded the free trial version of VueScan to give it a try. It took a little bit of time to get it to work, but that was due to the age of the Plustek and the driver issues. Because I already have the Silverfast license, I upgraded from 6.6 to the new version 8.

I found the VueScan to be very easy to use (much easier than Silverfast), but I believe I have more options with Silverfast. This may be due to my already knowing the software, but I'll experiment more later. Right now I did find that the new version of Silverfast took care of all the crash problems I was having.

Thanks for the link Brooke, the nice thing about VueScan is I can use one scan software for several different scanners. This I can see being useful in the very near future.
11-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for Vuescan!
11-28-2017, 02:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Like you I managed to get it to work but its still a bit flaky. It doesn't like to multitask for me. If I try doing some web browsing while a scan is in progress, silverfast throws a fit and has to be restarted.

I only use my scanner for proofing my film before wet printing so I can't justify the expense of upgrading to the 64 bit friendly version.
Well after saying that I couldn't justify the expense of upgrading my Silverfast v6.6, I received one of their regular marketing emails announcing their Black Friday discounts. Out of curiosity I clicked the link and found it would only cost €20 to upgrade to the Windows 10 friendly v8.8 so I did. Its so nice to be able to do something else on the computer while the scan is in progress and the UI does seem to be more user friendly. It would be nice to have negafix profiles for some of the less mainstream b&w films.

11-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well after saying that I couldn't justify the expense of upgrading my Silverfast v6.6, I received one of their regular marketing emails announcing their Black Friday discounts. Out of curiosity I clicked the link and found it would only cost €20 to upgrade to the Windows 10 friendly v8.8 so I did. Its so nice to be able to do something else on the computer while the scan is in progress and the UI does seem to be more user friendly. It would be nice to have negafix profiles for some of the less mainstream b&w films.
I do like the Silverfast version 8. But the past couple of days I've been having a problem with it crashing. I've had to resort to version 6 (again) or use Vuescan. While I like Vuescan, and it seems to be very stable, I think Silverfast, especially the new version 8, gives me a lot more control with the Plustek. There are things I can do that aren't available with Vuescan. Then again, for color scans the Vuescan software seems to provide more realistic scans with ease, where I need to work a little more to get a workflow put together for Silverfast.
11-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I do like the Silverfast version 8. But the past couple of days I've been having a problem with it crashing. I've had to resort to version 6 (again)
That's not good. Have you contacted Silverfast support or used their support forum? You've paid for the software.... it should work for you.
11-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's not good. Have you contacted Silverfast support or used their support forum? You've paid for the software.... it should work for you.
I have not yet due to work hours. I plan on contacting them tonight.

11-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been able to fix much of my own issues with Silverfast by:

1. Dumping the preferences periodically - especially so when changing the film size or after an update.
2. Restarting the machine instead of letting it go to sleep. I'm running 32GB of RAM and SF would eventually (after a few weeks) start acting poorly and crash. A restart fixed it.
12-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #24

I'm a bit late... Good to hear that you were able to sort things out. SilverFast 6.5. is out there since 2006, 3 years before Windows 7. 11 years is a long time in computer business and it is very interesting to see that you still used the good old 32bit SilverFast 6.6. software on a modern Win 10 / 64bit system. There is a SilverFast 8 version which is Win10 and 64bit compatible, you're right. We also offer upgrades at a reduced price and you seem to have made quite a deal.
12-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote
I'm a bit late... Good to hear that you were able to sort things out. SilverFast 6.5. is out there since 2006, 3 years before Windows 7. 11 years is a long time in computer business and it is very interesting to see that you still used the good old 32bit SilverFast 6.6. software on a modern Win 10 / 64bit system. There is a SilverFast 8 version which is Win10 and 64bit compatible, you're right. We also offer upgrades at a reduced price and you seem to have made quite a deal.
I'm glad you dropped in as I'm having an issue. I purchased the upgraded 8.8 version which worked great, for about 3 days. Then it crashed and all I get now is a bad module warning and it shuts down. I've tried resetting everything, including un-installing the drivers and re-installing. I can get version 6.6 to work, and Vuescan, but not version 8.

This morning I wrote to Silverfast and Plustek concerning the problem. I realize the largest part of the problem is the Plustek needs updated drivers for Windows 10 64bit, which are not available. I'm waiting to see what sort of replies I may get.

I really like my Plustek 7500i and the Silverfast software, hopefully a patch is in the works.
12-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I realize the largest part of the problem is the Plustek needs updated drivers for Windows 10 64bit, which are not available.
The drivers for the Plustek 7500i, Windows 10, 64 bit are on the Plustek website.

Drivers & Downloads | Drivers & Downloads | Plustek
12-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, here's the good news. I sent Plustek an email this morning detailing my problem. The called me within 8 hours. We walked through everything using a remote desktop, and I'm up and running with Silverfast version 8, and everything works perfectly.

I had the right drivers downloaded from Plustek, the problem ended up being two-fold. My Epson all-in-one was interfering, and I needed to uninstall Silverfast version 6. Since I don't scan to this computer using the Epson, we simply disabled the scanner function.

+1 for customer service from Plustek!
12-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #28

I thought, I'd leave a quick reply since this question comes up from time to time:
SilverFast 6.5 doesn't officially work with Win10. It was developped in 2006 while Windows XP was still current OS with Vista not being published.
In terms of computers, ten years is a lot of time and a lot has changed since then. In the meantime we have seen Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
It might feel like a lot less than ten years have passed, though.

SilverFast 6.6. is still a 32bit application. It still works with the systems that it was built for.
You might get to work on a Win10 64bit system, too. However, this is nothing that we'd recommend.

SilverFast 8 is out now for several years. It's a 64bit application that can use your system ressources way better than limited 32bit applications.
You can get SilverFast 8 at an upgrade price with your SilverFast 6.6. license so that you don't have to pay the full price again.
12-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote

SilverFast 8 is out now for several years. It's a 64bit application that can use your system ressources way better than limited 32bit applications.
You can get SilverFast 8 at an upgrade price with your SilverFast 6.6. license so that you don't have to pay the full price again.
That's what I did. I took advantage of your Black Friday promotion and upgraded for €20. All working fine now.