Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plustek Help

Help!

I cannot seem to make my Plustek 7500i work.

Here's what's happening. I have all the original CDs. When I install Silverfast and the film scanner, they will not find each other. Trying to run Silverfast and it tells me there is no film scanner installed. When I look to my hardware, it shows a film scanner, but does not give the name of my scanner.

I am running Windows 10 pro 64bit.

I know this is an older scanner, I bought it new, I believe in 2007 or 2008. I went to both companies web sites and downloaded the latest updated software/drivers, but to no avail.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm at a loss right now.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-17-2017 at 04:02 PM.
11-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have one question. Was the scanner already connected when you installed the driver? The reason I ask is that some scanners want you to install the driver before connecting the device to your computer.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.
11-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have one question. Was the scanner already connected when you installed the driver? The reason I ask is that some scanners want you to install the driver before connecting the device to your computer.
I tried it with it connected the first time. Then I got a message to disconnect it and restart the install.
11-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Did you uninstall what you installed the first time, restart your computer, then reinstall the driver?

11-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you uninstall what you installed the first time, restart your computer, then reinstall the driver?
I uninstalled the original drivers. But I may just in-install the entire set-up and start over from scratch.
11-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And you got the driver from here:

Drivers & Downloads | Drivers & Downloads | Plustek
11-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
But I may just in-install the entire set-up and start over from scratch.
That's probably your best bet.

11-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you have a temporary file cleaner? I have one that works great, I use it to get rid of files in the temp folders, like when I install a software it leaves bits and pieces behind after the install that is not needed. It has a very small foot print and will clean things out without messing up your computer. My tech friends use it too.

I use TFC by Oldtimer:

Download here
11-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do you have a temporary file cleaner? I have one that works great, I use it to get rid of files in the temp folders, like when I install a software it leaves bits and pieces behind after the install that is not needed. It has a very small foot print and will clean things out without messing up your computer. My tech friends use it too.

I use TFC by Oldtimer:

Download here
Thank you. I'll have to give that a try in the morning.
11-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome. Just hit the start button and let it run. No settings to change or anything too complicated. I gained 120GB of my 240GB SSD drive back after running it the first time.
11-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds like something wrong with the drivers or something happening in the registry preventing running the app.

If you have no luck try downloading a demo version of Vuescan which is a very capable replacement for the original scanner software.
VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
11-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It ended up being a combination of things, but primarily the driver, as TonyW stated. Microsoft wouldn't recognize the Plustek driver and would use it's own. The software, Silverlight wouldn't recognize the driver and would give me an error that there wasn't a film scanner connected.

After extensive searching on both Silverlight and Plustek web sites, I was able to piece this together from the archives. The drivers for the Plustek are quirky with a Windows 10 64bit system. To make matters worse, Silverlight 6.5 (which ships with the Plustek) and the upgrade, 6.6, can be unstable with Windows 10.

The remedy was to uninstall the drivers and software (thank you photolady for the link). Re-installing them cannot be done from the set-up.exe file. I had to save the drivers as a folder, open it and find the install.exe inside one of the sub-folders. I was then able to install the Silverlight upgrade 6.6 and it recognized the scanner. According to Silverlight, they have a new version of the software, 8.0, that is more stable and has more features. I will probably purchase this upgrade in the near future as I spend a considerable amount of time scanning film.
11-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Happy to hear you got it worked out! And you're welcome for the TFC.

With all you went through, I'm glad I still rely on Epson scanners.
11-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good news and what a pity you had to jump through hoops to resolve the issues
11-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The drivers for the Plustek are quirky with a Windows 10 64bit system. To make matters worse, Silverlight 6.5 (which ships with the Plustek) and the upgrade, 6.6, can be unstable with Windows 10.

I had the same problem with my 7500i, silverfast 6.6 and Windows 10 64 bit.

Like you I managed to get it to work but its still a bit flaky. It doesn't like to multitask for me. If I try doing some web browsing while a scan is in progress, silverfast throws a fit and has to be restarted.

I only use my scanner for proofing my film before wet printing so I can't justify the expense of upgrading to the 64 bit friendly version.