Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Discuss - Post your Expired Film here

Quite often I see people asking about old, expired film they have laying around. Will it work, how to shoot/process it and etc. There's a lot of knowledge here on the forums, and this is a good place to put some of it together.

I know I'm not the only one with an ice-box full of expired film. I have a 50 count box of P3200 with about 30 rolls left dated 1991. Part of a 100' roll of Agfa APX 100 from the mid-90s and part of a roll of TriX-Pan, which I got in the mid 90s and the can was already rusted, so I have no idea how old it is. And that's just the start. For the right price, I'll add more in a heartbeat.

These first two shots are from the TriX Pan, shot last week and developed D76 for 10 minutes:

This is from the P3200. 15 years ago I could shoot it at 3200 and get a usable image, a few weeks ago I got nothing at 3200. I shot this at ISO 400 and developed D76 for 10 1/2 minutes.

11-25-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please see my post #13 at Ancient bulk lots of expired film... - PentaxForums.com.

These photographs were taken on Ilford Delta 3200. I cannot be sure of what ISO setting I used, but I think that they may have been shot at ISO 3200 as they were among the first photographs taken with the frozen film before I discovered the Kodak quotation and the need to test. If this is the case, I was lucky with these two.

Added as an afterthought: I was shooting high speed film outdoors years ago because I like the grain effects. My intimal reaction to these two photographs was that there was too much grain; but having resurrected them for this post, I have to say that I am pleased with both of them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LS-4000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LS-4000  Photo 

Last edited by cpk; 11-25-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Photos didn't show. Later added afterthought comment.
11-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

New film has a base + fog density. You can measure that and see what it is on a film's characteristic curve (around 0.05 density is common). And how clear that base + fog density is will dictate how "black" your blacks are. Films like Delta 3200 naturally have a higher base + fog density compared to say Rollei retro 80S which can produce deep blacks.

As background radiation increases the base + fog density of the film, your blacks will become more gray. Increasing exposure won't do anything about that but will push your high values up and hopefully make them "whiter" if it's still in the film's range. Once you start getting over 0.1 base + fog density, the contrast quality of film can be noticeable. From my limited expired film experience, my faster Delta 3200 fogged over much faster than my slower film.

Last edited by tuco; 11-28-2017 at 10:59 AM.
11-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a couple from a 100' roll of Agfa APX 100 purchased mid-90s. This was always my favorite black and white film. I was sad when the company stopped making it and I'll be more-so when I run out. (I know it's available again, but it's a different company and emulsion)

Currently I'm using Cafenol-C to develop my film, which is what is depicted in the first photograph.

---------- Post added 11-29-2017 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Please see my post #13 at Ancient bulk lots of expired film... - PentaxForums.com.

These photographs were taken on Ilford Delta 3200. I cannot be sure of what ISO setting I used, but I think that they may have been shot at ISO 3200 as they were among the first photographs taken with the frozen film before I discovered the Kodak quotation and the need to test. If this is the case, I was lucky with these two.

Added as an afterthought: I was shooting high speed film outdoors years ago because I like the grain effects. My intimal reaction to these two photographs was that there was too much grain; but having resurrected them for this post, I have to say that I am pleased with both of them.
I like the grain in these, especially the second shot. I think it adds to the photo.

01-14-2018, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The following two shots are from the same 100' roll of film, Kodak Plus-X 125, which expired sometime in the 90s. The first was developed in D76, the second I developed in Caffenol-C-L stand developing for 45 minutes. The difference in grain is amazing for such an old film.

Both were shot with my LX, the first with the A 24-50 and the second with the FA 77.