Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Coolscan 9000 question

I have done a couple of quick searches on the net trying to figure out if Coolscan 9000 can do batch processing, but haven't found anything. Would you guys know if it can batch process 35mm? I know Coolscan 4000 can, but I wonder if the fact that I haven't found anything quickly means that the 9000 can't...

12-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I have done a couple of quick searches on the net trying to figure out if Coolscan 9000 can do batch processing, but haven't found anything. Would you guys know if it can batch process 35mm? I know Coolscan 4000 can, but I wonder if the fact that I haven't found anything quickly means that the 9000 can't...
By batch processing, do you mean an entire roll? In that case, no.

But you can batch process one tray such as a 35mm strip of 6 -12 exposures of negs and/or 5 slides or up to 4 frames of 120/220 film.

Also the Nikon Scan 4 software that comes with the film scanner is not as capable as VueScan or Silverfast.
12-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you guys know if it can batch process 35mm?
No, it does not support either of the accessory strip adapters available for Nikon's 35mm scanners. Batch scans are limited to the number of frames in the 35mm negative holder. As for software...preferences are preferences. I have evaluated both VueScan and Silverfast Ai and prefer Nikon Scan 4, if for no other reason than for genuine ICE support. That being said, unless one jumps through a few hoops, Nikon Scan 4 and available Nikon-sourced drivers do not support recent versions of Windows. I run Windows 7 and 10 with a third-party driver. Both VueScan and Silverfast have their own drivers.

Steve
12-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
By batch processing, do you mean an entire roll? In that case, no.

But you can batch process one tray such as a 35mm strip of 6 -12 exposures of negs and/or 5 slides or up to 4 frames of 120/220 film.

Also the Nikon Scan 4 software that comes with the film scanner is not as capable as VueScan or Silverfast.
yes, entire roll.

Would you say Nikon Coolscan 9000 is a good investment these days? I came across one for a low price on local classifieds (about $700 USD, they seem to be going for more usually). Seems like a great scanner, but then there are issues with software support... Decisions, decisions! And the worst thing it won't help me solve my problem

Here is my problem, I'd appreciate any advice you can give. I have my grandfather's photo archive that includes film from late '50s to mid -90s. The film has been rolled up for a pretty long time, and it is impossible to keep it flat. I'd like to digitize his collection, but I can't really cut it. If I cut it, i won't stay flat, so I have no idea how to store it. In addition to that, my grandfather left notebooks with notes which go by frame number. Old soviet film doesn't have frame numbers, so I am afraid if I cut it, I will get it mixed up and all the notes will become useless...

It seems that scanning whole rolls is the only solution, and Coolscan 9000 won't do it. Pacific Image scanners will do it, but I'd love to have the coolscan for MF as well...

12-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Would you say Nikon Coolscan 9000 is a good investment these days? I came across one for a low price on local classifieds (about $700 USD, they seem to be going for more usually).
That is an incredibly good price, assuming the scanner 9000 is fully operational. Software support is a consideration, but not insurmountable. Too bad the 9000 is clumsy with 35mm film. At $700 it may be worth buying just for medium format.

Steve
12-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is an incredibly good price, assuming the scanner 9000 is fully operational. Software support is a consideration, but not insurmountable. Too bad the 9000 is clumsy with 35mm film. At $700 it may be worth buying just for medium format.

Steve
that's what I've been thinking. Except I just spent my budget on FA77, and then the 9000 came up. Would you say the newer 120 scanners, like the Braun FS 120, is a safer bet? That 9000 is at least 10 years old, probably...
12-11-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the Nikon Coolscan 9000 and the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro are both excellent scanners (I use the Minolta) for both 35mm and MF, but won't batch scan an entire roll. We use this scanner in my lab at school and out of fear of OS incompatibility and age, I am planning on getting a Plustek OpticFilm 120 next year ($1700). I've heard mixed reviews with the Plustek, but it's new, does both 35mm and 120, and I shouldn't have to worry about repairs or driver concerns.

IF you go this route, you'd need patience in cutting your grandfather's film into strips of six, and putting them into glacines or a PrintFile page and then stacking them with weight on top for awhile until they lose their curl and are relatively flat.

The Braun MULTIMAG SlideScan 6000 is an $1800 film scanner that will do batches of up to 50 35mm slides. The Pacific Image PowerSlide X does the same for about $1000, but again, only 35mm slides; not negs or 120.

The best scanner that does up to 40 frames of 35mm negs (that is in the consumer price range, unlike Noritsu) is the Pacific Image Prime Film XA for around $400. It does 35mm slides, but only one at a time and no MF.

12-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

At $700 and in fully working condition (with film holders?) I would say that is more than a steal of a deal.
I have scanned over 45,000 frames of various films on my Coolscan 5000 & 9000 and I can tell you with no reservation that there is no comparing workflow and results with these Coolscans and everything else that I've tried. I still maintain two Windows Vista PCs to run Nikonscan 4.

BTW, what kinds of films are you looking at?

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-11-2017 at 08:00 PM.
12-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have scanned over 45,000 frames of various films on my Coolscan 5000 & 9000 and I can tell you with no reservation that there is no comparing workflow and results with these Coolscans and everything else that I've tried. I still maintain two Windows Vista PCs to run Nikonscan 4.
One main advantage of the Nikon Coolscan 9000 over the Minolta Dimage Multi Scan Pro is that Nikon uses LEDs vs. the Minolta's cold cathode fluorescent tubes. Those LED should last a very, very long time.

Les, have you tried VueScan or Silverfast?
12-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One main advantage of the Nikon Coolscan 9000 over the Minolta Dimage Multi Scan Pro is that Nikon uses LEDs vs. the Minolta's cold cathode fluorescent tubes. Those LED should last a very, very long time.

Les, have you tried VueScan or Silverfast?
I have tried Vuescan with the Coolscans and Silverfast on the Epsons and Nikonscan is simple. In all the scans I've done, I have never encountered any odd behavior except for one strip of color C41 one time on 5000. I insert the strip 1-2-3-4-5-6 and each scanned frame resulted in a quarter frame offset. I reinsert it this time 6-5-4-3-2-1 and all is perfect. Was a perfectly well exposed strip of film with clearly distinguishable borders. Reinsert it as normal comes out with the offset and reverse works fine. Oddest thing ever but only happened that one time with that one strip of film.

Vuescan using the Kodak 160VC profile and color settings compared to Nikonscan neutral color scan. Nikonscan has no built-in film profiles.

Larger res version -> Kodak 160VC-036 Vuescan colors
12-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still maintain two Windows Vista PCs to run Nikonscan 4.
I only mentioned VueScan (which I currently use) and Silverfast (which I used to use) because I can imagine one day you may need or want to "Hasta la Vista" baby!
12-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My 9000ED came with a carrier that holds 12 small format negatives and a carrier that holds 5 slides. So that is the most you can batch scan with it.
12-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I only mentioned VueScan (which I currently use) and Silverfast (which I used to use) because I can imagine one day you may need or want to "Hasta la Vista" baby!
Ha ha

I will apply all my skills and resources to keep this system working as there was a substantial difference in my appreciation of film before and after Coolscan and I expect to continue using film for a long time to come!
12-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can imagine one day you may need or want to "Hasta la Vista" baby!
I run Nikon Scan 4.03 on Win 7 64-bit and Win 10 64-bit using Axel Rietschin's driver, available on his blog...

Axel Rietschin: Nikon LS-40 / LS-50 / LS-5000 Scanners on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista 64-bit!

Yes, it is getting a little long in the tooth (2009), but it is a decent option for Nikon USB scanners if one is not able to maintain a dedicated machine.

Steve
12-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At $700 and in fully working condition (with film holders?) I would say that is more than a steal of a deal.

BTW, what kinds of films are you looking at?
No film holders. Can't check condition, as it's being sold on local classifieds 3/4th of the way across the continent. But the guy is a professional photographer (has Canadian photographer of the year) in his signature, and says the scanner works and has been professionally used. He is also willing to ship, which doesn't often happen with local classifieds.

As for film, I usually shoot Portra 400, Ektar 100, Across 100, Bergger, Velvia 50 and 100. I could survive with those. Haven't expanded much beyond, although I have tried TMax once (and liked it). That's recent. There's also history of shooting Svema as a kid...

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
My 9000ED came with a carrier that holds 12 small format negatives and a carrier that holds 5 slides. So that is the most you can batch scan with it.
Thanks! Won't help me with scanning my grandfather's archive then. But as Steve mentioned, it might be worth getting it just for MF.

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I run Nikon Scan 4.03 on Win 7 64-bit and Win 10 64-bit using Axel Rietschin's driver, available on his blog...

Axel Rietschin: Nikon LS-40 / LS-50 / LS-5000 Scanners on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista 64-bit!

Yes, it is getting a little long in the tooth (2009), but it is a decent option for Nikon USB scanners if one is not able to maintain a dedicated machine.

Steve
Steve, I run Windows 10 on my computer right now. Would I be able to plug in the 9000 into my computer and use that driver, or would I have to use a dedicated computer (someone mentioned one earlier in the thread).

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 02:02 PM ----------

Yes, the Nikon Coolscan 9000 and the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro are both excellent scanners (I use the Minolta) for both 35mm and MF, but won't batch scan an entire roll. We use this scanner in my lab at school and out of fear of OS incompatibility and age, I am planning on getting a Plustek OpticFilm 120 next year ($1700). I've heard mixed reviews with the Plustek, but it's new, does both 35mm and 120, and I shouldn't have to worry about repairs or driver concerns.

IF you go this route, you'd need patience in cutting your grandfather's film into strips of six, and putting them into glacines or a PrintFile page and then stacking them with weight on top for awhile until they lose their curl and are relatively flat.

The Braun MULTIMAG SlideScan 6000 is an $1800 film scanner that will do batches of up to 50 35mm slides. The Pacific Image PowerSlide X does the same for about $1000, but again, only 35mm slides; not negs or 120.

The best scanner that does up to 40 frames of 35mm negs (that is in the consumer price range, unlike Noritsu) is the Pacific Image Prime Film XA for around $400. It does 35mm slides, but only one at a time and no MF.
those other scanners are definitely out of my budget...

The problem is that I still need to get a scanner to scan my grandfather's archive - which is the problem I set out to solve in the first place