Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A couple of more observations:
1. Not sure if my grandfather's film is so brittle because it's so old, or it's was always like that, but yesterday the XA broke off the perforated part of the film. The scanner wouldn't eject the film after that, which meant I had to pull it out. That was the second time I had to do it and I keep wondering what it would do to the scanner. What it does to the film is clear - it seems like I really scan it well the first time instead of hoping I might rescan it at some point in the future...

2. I had read a XA review that stated that the problem with the scanner is that it makes medium format photos scanned on a flatbed scanner look bad. Well, I think I might have had a taste of it last night. I scanned some Portra and wow... Of course it could just be the contrast between Portra and the poor old Soviet film stock I was scanning before...

3. This bit is silly, just shows my lack of experience with SilverFast. When I started scanning Portra I was really disappointed by how grainy and low contrast it was turning out. Turns out it was just a prescan. Not sure what the wisdom in that was - some of the photos looked so bad I just wanted to give up scanning altogether. Then I opened those files in Photoshop, added some contrast (too much, it seems) and they just looked really nice. I know prescan is supposed to be quick, but if the photo looks terrible as a result, that seems like a disservice....

4. Finally - had some SilverFast problems. I installed it originally from a CD that came with the scanner. Then I decided to upgrade it to SE plus (thanks @timw4mail). And the thing wouldn't run after the upgrade. SilverFast support is not very helpful, by the way. Tried reinstalling it and didn't help. I finally downloaded another file from the SilverFast website and it worked.

Last edited by IgorZ; 01-11-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes :)
01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #17

I'm sorry to hear that your installation caused you some troubles. However, good to hear that you made it!

There are so many ways to work with SilverFast... some use our own HDR RAW archiving workflow and only need a quick prescan to set up the scan area while some others need hi-res prescans for their editing.
We keep the prescan quick. We have added exact previews for users that edit their images in SilverFast. Thus, some of our tools offer to use the chosen scan resolution to give you a 100% preview (1:1 or HQ) of your images.
01-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote
The concepts behind the SilverFast software are not always self-explaining...
It is affirming to know you folk know it too

Steve
01-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since years I own a Reflecta ProScan 7200 that seams to be the same as PacificImage PrimeFilm 7200. I use it with VueScan (Professional License - unlimited updates und pro features). IMO a very capable but manual handling combo. The great thing of VueScan is you can use the license with any of your scanners. I also use it with my flatbed scanner Epson Perfection 1650 Photo that was my start into slide scanning.

I bought PS7200 in Munich at ScanDig after reading their great info about scanning and devices. They also offer the info in english language. Look here if you are interested. I referenced the Reflecta ProScan 7200 info but of course you can browse a lot more.

Last edited by acoufap; 01-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.
01-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
ScanDig after reading their great info about scanning and devices
I was curious to read the ScanDig review of the Epson V600 photo (flatbed) scanner, since I purchased a refurb one directly from Epson about ~6 months ago (for about one third of the cost advertised on the ScanDig store*), and have been gradually learning how to use it with the bundled Epson scan software.

Perhaps this review is out of date, because it omits available scan-adjustment features of the Epson scan version that came with my scanner. The review recommends purchasing Silverfast software and using that instead, and includes for comparison a couple of downsampled scans from each in which the Silverfast apparently obtained better (though still not terribly impressive) results.

I can't comment on Silverfast, because I've never used it. However, I have generally had better luck with the Epson scan than the purported examples of the review, and I haven't made any use of its 'advanced' scanning features (I have been producing scans for quick evaluation of rolls, rather than trying to customize scan settings for individual shots).

I recognize the inherent hardware limitations of this type (and model) of scanner, having cut my teeth on the more primitive and less-capable 1660 (which I used with VueScan). I think the review is reasonably accurate in describing this, but I do question whether the part about Epson scan software is (still) valid.

*Interesting to note the ScanDig store also sells Silverfast.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 01-15-2018 at 02:12 PM.
01-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I was curious to read the ScanDig review of the Epson V600 photo (flatbed) scanner, since I purchased a refurb one directly from Epson about ~6 months ago (for about one third of the cost advertised on the ScanDig store*), and have been gradually learning how to use it with the bundled Epson scan software.

*Interesting to note the ScanDig store also sells Silverfast.
They do seem to be promoting SilveFast quite a bit. The only other scanning software I ever used was Canon software that came with the Canon scanner. SilverFast is definitely more advanced.
01-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps this review is out of date, ...
You may be right. I bought the ProScan7200 around seven years ago and the website seems unchanged.

I can't comment on Silverfast ...
I can't either. The Epson Software that came with my Epson Perfection 1650 wasn't that great.

For scanning slides with VueScan I created an icc-profile for the PS7200 using a Wolf Faust IT8-Target. After that the results were much better than before. Best results for film I get simply by using the GENERIC-COLOR-NEGATIVE setting and film.icc profile.

The scan results depend a lot on the quality of the film material and scan software settings. To get the colors etc. right it's very important to use a color calibrated monitor.

01-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought PS7200 in Munich at ScanDig after reading their great info about scanning and devices.
I concur. I have found their reviews to be highly accurate in regards to the two scanners I own (Nikon 5000 ED and Epson V700) and recommend the Primefilm XA at least partially on their take of that unit's performance.

Steve
01-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I concur. I have found their reviews to be highly accurate in regards to the two scanners I own (Nikon 5000 ED and Epson V700) and recommend the Primefilm XA at least partially on their take of that unit's performance.

Steve
I must say I was a bit disappointed in their review of the XA. It seems like opinions are split on whether batch scanning works or not, and the role of software in that. They basically have a line on that, saying that batch scanning works the same way as scanning an individual strip. I was hoping they would address this potential issue. In the end, I interpreted their results as an indication of the fact that they did not have any problems batch scanning, and decided to get the scanner.
01-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #25

I can only speak for SilverFast and not for Cyberview, but we do differentiate between a batch scan and a JobManager scan.

Batch scans usually run with the same settings for every image of the batch. Using the automatic image optimizations AutoCCR and automatic dust and scratch removal iSRD and Multi-Exposure togehter with an appropriate film choice in the NegaFix tool will result in good quality already. You wouldn't be able to adjust brightness individually for one image of the batch with this way of scanning.

JobManager scans (Ai Studio function) allow for individual image optimizations. You can adjust every image one by one and have them scanned in a row after that. This offers you the choice to use the automatics that you use in the batch scan, to adjust them or to use your own settings for every image. This leaves you with the full control over every single image on your roll or strip.
01-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought PS7200 in Munich at ScanDig after reading their great info about scanning and devices. They also offer the info in english language. Look here if you are interested. I referenced the Reflecta ProScan 7200 info but of course you can browse a lot more.
Everything is said, ScanDig is a reseller, so take the tests with care. My old V500 had a bad review, as my PlusTek OpticFilm 120, because they don't sell them...

I had a long learning curve with Silverfast, but now I get far better results than from Epson Scan. It is worth to try the Studio version.

QuoteOriginally posted by LSI_Horn Quote
togehter with an appropriate film choice in the NegaFix tool will result in good quality already
Are there updates for more recent films ?
01-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Everything is said, ScanDig is a reseller, so take the tests with care. My old V500 had a bad review, as my PlusTek OpticFilm 120, because they don't sell them...
Are you sure about that? ScanDig is a store, but they don't test what they don't sell.

Plustek OpticFilm 120 with SilverFast Ai Studio 8, film scanner for 35mm mounted slides, film strips and medium format - ScanDig GmbH
(Not currently offered due to numerous customer problems.)

Epson Perfection V550 Photo with SilverFast SE 8 for better scans and a higher image quality - ScanDig GmbH
(they offered the V500 while it was still current product, pre 2013)

Using my Nikon 5000 ED as reference, I was able to confirm the ~2300 dpi performance of my Epson V700 as reported by ScanDig. ScanDig did not do an actual test review of the V500 (just commentary on the specs) and skipped the V550 entirely, but they did test the V600 (which they also sell with a claimed 6400 dpi, same as the V500) with a result of only 1560 dpi from the USAF chart. I don't know if the poor review resulted in better V700/V750 sales. I always considered the Plustek OpticFilm 120 review to be very balanced. User reviews at B&H appear to reflect the ScanDig summary.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-17-2018 at 01:55 PM.
01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, they removed the V500 test.

I have no problem with my OpticFilm 120...