Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Kodak produced a new scanner

Not quite the new Coolscan, but any new film scanner is probably a good news story.

Kodak Scanza: A New Compact Budget Film Scanner

01-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question is if the image quality is any good. As in, good enough for more than web images.
01-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

That's a welcome product since it can scan 126 film! My somewhat temperamental Reflecta 10M scanner cannot do that, so I can live with the lower resolution of the Kodak thingy for my 126 film.
01-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Anyone know if it can scan 120 film?

01-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Anyone know if it can scan 120 film?
Don't think so. From the formats listed, it seems 35mm is the largest it can scan.
01-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
The question is if the image quality is any good. As in, good enough for more than web images.
I don't think so. That's probably why it was labeled "consumer". The multiple format ability is cool. Once I finish my grandfather's archive I'd like to digitize our old super 8 movies. The thing about old Soviet film is that it's pretty poor quality, so scanning it at a very high resolution doesn't really help. A Kodak scanner could just be the right thing...
01-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't think so. From the formats listed, it seems 35mm is the largest it can scan.
Good to know. Thanks!

01-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I paid less for my (refurb) epson v600.

I'm guessing not.
01-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In case you're not aware, Kodak went bust some time ago. The rights to the name were bought up and are currently being resold to pretty much anyone who wants it, and it appears on everything from memory cards to bargain bucket batteries. Whoever makes this scanner (possibly a no-name Chinese tech manufacturer) will have nothing whatsoever to do with the famed photographic company, other than having paid a fee to a faceless holding company, in order to use the name.
01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you chase this one right through to source, you'll see that the name "Kodak" is being used under license. The scanner is actually listed, along with other products made under similar arrangements as well as their own, on the Kodak website.
01-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There are several other so-called scanners which actually take a cheap picture of the media rather than scanning them line-by-line - they all are rather mediocre at best. I have a real, used, Nikon scanner that I was able to fit 126 and 110 film in {in the latter case I did the horrible thing of cutting the strips into frames, and then inserting each frame temporarily into a plastic slide frame.
01-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There are several other so-called scanners which actually take a cheap picture of the media rather than scanning them line-by-line - they all are rather mediocre at best. I have a real, used, Nikon scanner that I was able to fit 126 and 110 film in {in the latter case I did the horrible thing of cutting the strips into frames, and then inserting each frame temporarily into a plastic slide frame.
Yeah, for a similar price, it seems like a good photo flatbed scanner would be able to produce better results.

For the smaller formats, there are often third-party holders. Less convenient, as you likely have to manually crop each frame for scanning, but still probably better results than this Kodak scanner.
01-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Listed for $169 on Amazon but no reviews yet. There is a similarly prized/type Wolverine Titan with a small sampling of relatively positive reviews. Seems all these types have a relatively positive review. I just wonder how well the color negative conversion works?

Regarding scanning 110 with the Coolscan, I used the FH3 holder with 110 strips.

Tedious but since it only takes about 10 seconds to scan a frame at 4000dpi with ICE, I was able to go through what I had relatively quickly.
01-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing much new here except Kodak (or rather whoever owns the trademark) has slapped their name on some 3rd party product of which we have seen various similar incarnations over the years.
01-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried this kind of scanners and the DR is poor, not workable at all. Much better to build your own dark box and stick a good compact camera (RAW capable) to digitize the negatives. The downside is the processing...
Anyone know of software that could crop and invert colors automatically? So that only color temperature or minor adjustments would be needed afterwards?