Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanner Models Question

For those in the know...

I have a Plustek Opticfilm 7500i, which does a great job scanning film. But it is a bit time consuming doing it one frame at a time. Since I've been doing quite a bit of experimenting lately with caffenol, and doing my own color C41 developing, my hanging film is getting backed up. So I'm looking for the possibility of batch scanning.

Currently I'm aware of the Pacific Film XA being able to at a very affordable price. But what about the Epson models V600, V800 and V850? There is quite a big price jump from $200 to $700 to $1000 between the three. The reason I'm looking at the Epson models over the Pacific Film is I'd like to be able to scan medium and large format film also. (Not that I need more cameras but heh)

Does anyone have experience with the Epson models and does the price jump justify what I'd be getting with the V800 or V850?

01-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I must admit I don't know. Having said that, one of the labs here uses an Epson for scanning film. I asked the guy if he can scan medium format film at high resolution (3000dpi) and he told me he can, but it's going to be expensive as it takes forever.

These guys have a review of the 800 and 850...

Testbericht Epson Perfection V800 Photo Beurteilung der Bildqualität und Scangeschwindigkeit
01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
But what about the Epson models V600, V800 and V850? There is quite a big price jump from $200 to $700 to $1000 between the three. The reason I'm looking at the Epson models over the Pacific Film is I'd like to be able to scan medium and large format film also. (Not that I need more cameras but heh)

Does anyone have experience with the Epson models and does the price jump justify what I'd be getting with the V800 or V850?
One big reason for the price jump is that the 4990, V7XX and V8XX have an 8 X 10 film scanning area which would allow you to scan up to that size film and anything less that would fit including whole rolls laid down on the glass.

This first example is of Fuji Astia slide in a strip holder and therefore doesn't all fit in the scanning area.

THis example is of Kodak 400UC color negative and I tried to overlap the strips to fit in the scanning are. Could have fit them all if I overlapped more.

The V8XX also uses LEDs instead of florescent and therefore faster to scan then the V7XX. You can find more in-depth reviews of these on ScanDig
01-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
After reading some of the reviews, it seems the V700 may be the way to go.

01-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
After reading some of the reviews, it seems the V700 may be the way to go.
Epson sells refurbs and you might find that model sometimes. I've bought many Epsons locally on CL quite successfully. My most recent was the 4990 but I have not fully qualified it yet. Casual observation so far is that it seems as good as the V700 which is definitely better then the V500 I had.