Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #31

Any member has an idea on where to do quality developing of colour negatives and transparencies and B&W negatives in India?

I have also been wondering on the economics of owing a second Pentax 645/ 67 for situations where having a second camera body would be essential. Instead of buying a pricey digital 645, why not a 645N II? But then I would need to import the 120/ 220 rolls from US (or some such markets) or ask a friend coming over to bring some stock, and resend them back to US by post for developing and get them back. I have access to an excellent Hasselblad film scanner X-1.

What happens to the exposed/ unexposed camera film rolls when passing through the scanners at airports if you are importing/ sending them over by a courier? What if someone is taking them by hand and they get scanned at the airport hand baggage/ check-in baggage scanners?

Other than the joy of shooting with film, would it be worth the efforts from logistics and economic point of view from India? Has anyone not originally from the US tried this route? If it works, I could as well buy a nice Pentax 67.

Pls also educate on the cost of colour negative/ transparency and B&W negative 120/220 rolls and the cost of developing them in US. Thank you.

02-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
I have also been wondering on the economics of owing a second Pentax 645/ 67 for situations where having a second camera body would be essential. Instead of buying a pricey digital 645, why not a 645N II? But then I would need to import the 120/ 220 rolls from US (or some such markets) or ask a friend coming over to bring some stock, and resend them back to US by post for developing and get them back. I have access to an excellent Hasselblad film scanner X-1.

What happens to the exposed/ unexposed camera film rolls when passing through the scanners at airports if you are importing/ sending them over by a courier? What if someone is taking them by hand and they get scanned at the airport hand baggage/ check-in baggage scanners?

Pls also educate on the cost of colour negative/ transparency and B&W negative 120/220 rolls and the cost of developing them in US. Thank you.
Here's what I can tell you as someone not from India, but from the US:

Price: 35mm 36exp Kodak Ektar 100 $7.50 or about 21 cents per shot. 120 (16 exp) is $5.50 per roll or 34 cents per shot.
35mm 36exp Fujifilm Velvia 100 $13 or about 36 cents per shot. 120 (16 exp) is $8 per roll or 50 cents per shot.
35mm 36exp Ilford HP5+ 400 $6 or about 17 cents per shot. 120 (16 exp) is $5 per roll or 31 cents per shot.

Generally processing cost of the two are the same, with B&W being the least expensive and slides being the most. But again, keep in mind although per roll costs are the same, with 120 you're getting 16 exposures, not 36.

The Pentax 645Z has a shutter life expectancy of 100,000 actuations so for a new one at $5000, that comes out to 5 cents per shot.

I am sure you could mail order 120 film to India, although I would think there would at least one shop in the major cities that would stock or could order film for you.

IF you had a courier or brought film with you, I always ask airport security to hand inspect my film, or I put it in a lead-lined film bag and always carry it on. Any film in checked luggage will be X-ray damaged. Most films under 400 ISO that I've seen are not affected by the carry-on security scanners, so even if you had no "protection" or security refused hand inspection, my experience is that under 400 ISO the film will be fine.

BUT on a much more practical note: This would be a back up camera for a 645D or 645Z? Shooting film is such a different process that I rarely take both film and digital with me on the same outing. My mindset is different with film as I am much more careful, precise, and slower in my shooting. With digital, I take more risks, experiment, and am less concerned about lighting, white balance, or conserving shots.
6 Days Ago   #33

Thanks Alex for the detailed reply.

Unfortunately, film photography has almost vanished from India. Some stray shops keep old stock and chemicals, but the quality of developing may not be up to the mark.

I have a 645Z. As I am a serious amateur, I guess I will not come close to 100,000 actuations on it. Further, I miss shooting with the film. The high running cost of film photography, upto a certain limit, always was a help, ironically, to make you a more thoughtful photographer. I would love to start enjoying the process again. The idea is to take the film camera along with a few rolls, and shoot with it whenever interesting images could be made, while the 645Z could be used to fire away. I would essentially use the film camera for landscapes using the Velvia 50 or 100, and shoot sparingly. In that sense, it would not exactly be a "backup" to the 645Z, but would still help me get some images at least just in case the 645Z has any problem.

What are the E6 processing costs in the US? That would help in working out the overall cost of each image.
6 Days Ago   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Thanks Alex for the detailed reply.
What are the E6 processing costs in the US? That would help in working out the overall cost of each image.
BHphotovideo sells prepaid mailers for Dwayne's Photo in Kansas and they charge $11 per 120 slide film using Fujifilm chems. I pay $15/roll locally and I'm sure there are custom labs that will charge closer to $20 per 120 slide film (unmounted).

FUJIFILM Slide Processing Mailer for One 35mm or 120 600000007

6 Days Ago   #35

Thanks Alex. I will check this out.