Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

amazon.com: USB2.0 To Ultra SCSI Converter Use Ultra Scsi Device As USB2.0: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The comments on this adapter range from it's a POS to it works for my, "Nikon slide scanner (LS-2000)".

04-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
amazon.com: USB2.0 To Ultra SCSI Converter Use Ultra Scsi Device As USB2.0: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

The comments on this adapter range from it's a POS to it works for my, "Nikon slide scanner (LS-2000)".
One of the hassles of SCSI ported devices was making sure you set the DIP switches correctly.

I don't miss DIP switches as when using a shared device, every time there was a connection issue, some random person would unsuccessfully mess with the switches and not put them back as found, which would then doom everyone else until you noticed they were set incorrectly.

First world, twentieth century problems.
04-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't Firewire->USB and SCSI->USB adapters exist?
One can still buy a SCSI card, but official OS/driver support is spotty for specific devices.

Edit: Misunderstood the post, but the driver issue is still pertinent. I would consider abstracting SCSI through USB to be a sketchy proposition.

Steve
04-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
One of the hassles of SCSI ported devices was making sure you set the DIP switches correctly.

I don't miss DIP switches as when using a shared device, every time there was a connection issue, some random person would unsuccessfully mess with the switches and not put them back as found, which would then doom everyone else until you noticed they were set incorrectly.

First world, twentieth century problems.
Every computer I've owned since 1989 up to about 2005 I built myself. I've had a computers with a scuzzy interface before. I even build my own firewall/routers (writing my own security policies) and wireless access points using OpenBSD with general purpose communication boards from Soekris Engineering

04-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I don't miss DIP switches ....
You got me thinking about the transition from DIP switches to Plug-n-Play. Remember the hit and miss that was until things finally got better? It was re-coined Plug-n-Pray
04-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm still trying to forget SCSI voodoo. I think I still have my bag of chicken bones...
04-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You got me thinking about the transition from DIP switches to Plug-n-Play. Remember the hit and miss that was until things finally got better? It was re-coined Plug-n-Pray
Plug-n-Play came in with Windows 95. If you remember installing Windows 95, the progress bar would move through the percentages at a fairly health clip, and you though the install would be over fast, then you hit 95%, and it would hand there for like 30 minutes or more. That was when it went into the the "detect" phase for non-plug-n-play devices. The only way to detect was to go down the list of 10,000 or so devices and look for each one, one at a time.

And I still have many SCSI devices at home that I use regularly. As a musician that plays with classic synthesizers and samplers, I have learned to keep SCSI alive and well. The most useful is a device called SCSI2SD that allows you to connect an SD card to a SCSI chain, so you don't have to keep that 30 spinning hard disk alive.

04-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Plug-n-Play came in with Windows 95. If you remember installing Windows 95, the progress bar would move through the percentages at a fairly health clip, and you though the install would be over fast, then you hit 95%, and it would hand there for like 30 minutes or more.
It seems so long ago now. I did install Win95 more than once. I don't remember how long it took though. I use to have a wall full of motherboards from old builds hanging like pictures. I finally took it down not long ago.
04-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Plug-n-Play came in with Windows 95.
More like Plug-n-Pray...
04-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I chose - and still use, the Nikon Coolscan 5000/9000 running Nikonscan on a Windows Vista computer. Over 45K scans of various films later, I can only say that it was all uneventful, A slower and more economical model may be the Coolscan V. I've never tried one but it is suppose to provide the same results as the 5000 only slower and without the ability to use the accessories.
If you are only scanning true b&w film - you can't take advantage of ICE and no color conversion in post, then perhaps DSLR scanning would work better for you.
05-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #26

I was given an Acer Scanwit 2720S which is SCSI. I kept my old off-line Compaq Presario desktop, did a clean install of WinME and it works a treat. I tried SCSI (Domex driver and SCSI card) on WinXP and it wouldn't play. Not tried it on Win7, Vista or Win10. The Mirafoto interface is a bit garish, though! I scan negs and slides in RAW and run them through Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've just ordered a changing bag and intend to develop my own B&W film. I've only been meaning to do it for forty years, and I guess I'll never learn younger... I used to print my own pics as we had a club darkroom at work, but never got to develop any. Until now...

And I use a Pentax MX!
--

Kind Regds,

R.
06-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good luck with the bag process ...

06-28-2018, 01:19 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Kupepe Quote
Good luck with the bag process ...
Thanks. I'm managing fine! I've developed five films so far without mishap, including a C41 as a B&W (very bowed when developed and quite curly!). I've moved off DD-X onto ID-11 and I've noticed a great improvement for HP5 because of it.

Of course, it had to happen... The last-but-one film I had in the bag I was all set to cut the end off and I'd left my scissors outside! However, it tore off the spool OK. In all but one film so far I've started to load the film onto the spiral outside the bag then continue in darkness. To allow this I don't wind the film back into the camera fully. I've had no issues with trapped grit in the film canister light trap as yet. One film I inadvertently wound back into the can when starting again after getting stuck on the spiral, but managed fine.

Used the bottle opener twice because of this and fed the film on in darkness and so far, so good. But it can get hot in there pretty quickly!