Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Cibachrome's last days

PBS NewsHour short piece on large format landscape photographer Christopher Burkett:

Landscape photographer races to finish decades of work | PBS NewsHour

Chris

04-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am pretty sure I have met him at one point (he is local to me), though at the very least I know Burkett's reputation as a master photographer and master printmaker. There is little today that might rival a quality Cibachrome print and I am saddened when I consider the fact that even horded stashes of the material are simply disappearing and passing out of scope.

Burkett's Web site:
Welcome | Christopher Burkett

Steve
04-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish there was enough demand/the right philanthropist to bring things like this back to market.
04-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a poignant story. Personally, I never enjoyed the darkroom process itself, I just wanted the final image. But I can fully appreciate Mr Burkett's artistry with the medium, and am sorry to see it being taken away from him.

04-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #5

Thanks so much for posting. I had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Burkett at a gallery opening he had many years ago back when I lived in New York City. He was wonderfully gracious and I enjoyed talking with him and of course his prints were stunning. He kindly signed one of his books -- Intimations of Paradise for me. For any aspiring landscape photographers out there I highly recommend examining his work and if you ever get the chance to catch an exhibit or gallery opening there is no substitute for seeing the large prints in person.
04-16-2018, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing. Also sad to see PBS funding might be under threat. (Sorry...this is as political as I'm going to get.)
04-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Post-processing the analog way: much in the video made me smile, but that's a craftsman at work and his work shows marvellous craft as well as a sharp eye. Thanks for posting!
04-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Outstanding photographer and a sad story. He plans to stop photography after his favorite photo paper is gone. Watch the video and you'll understand after you see his process.

04-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent piece, presents the technical side matter-of-factly and lets Burkett talk about light, depth, etc. I can only hope that when the inevitable day comes that he runs out of Cibachrome, he finds a way to keep stay involved with photography.
04-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anyone who appreciates this piece - along with other important PBS programming - should consider contributing to their local PBS station.

Chris
04-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a little bit of Cibachrome printing decades ago. Even with my limited skills there was something special about the results.

I'm saddened to think this technique will soon be gone.
04-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very moving - I used to get Cibachrome prints done of my 6x7 transparencies, and they really are like nothing else, not just in archival terms, but that almost metallic lustre - it's a real shame that Ilford have stopped making the paper - or, I suppose that not enough of us still use it.
05-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I made Cibachrome enlargements myself and I can understand that he's so sad. The best reversal reproduction system ever made...
05-24-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm saddened to think this technique will soon be gone.

Seems to me the longer you live: the number of things you lose rises exponentially.