Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wow! How this takes me back in time!

I came across this ad in the local Craig's List.... and it sure did bring back a lot of memories. Some good.... others..... um.... well.... er.... let's just say I really like my K-50!

DARKROOM EQUIPMENT AND CAMERAS - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale

04-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I came across this ad in the local Craig's List.... and it sure did bring back a lot of memories. Some good.... others..... um.... well.... er.... let's just say I really like my K-50!

DARKROOM EQUIPMENT AND CAMERAS - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale
Prices seem a little high given that many of those items are available new for about the same money.
  • Zeiss folders!!!
  • I would be mildly interested in the Kindermann daylight tanks if the lids and traps are in good order. They are soooo leak resistant.
  • I have a Beseler CT20 timer. It is a sweet unit.
  • Oh...Photix temp control...be still my beating heart...
OK, enough stimulation for one day...

Steve
04-16-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

And to think, 10-15 years ago you couldn't give your darkroom equipment away. That may be a wee bit of an exaggeration but
I do remember seeing many, many once very expensive enlargers being offered for peanuts. Or offered for free to anyone willing
to haul away the bulky beasts. Or sitting in a dumpster, presumably because no one answered the ad for a free enlarger.
04-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Who uses this type of equipment these days? I have actually thought about doing film, but decided against it. Did you notice the ad's contact information: Respond by telephone only. Do not text or email. Please call at 2 zero 8-Nine 39-2 six 32.

04-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I’m buying a complete darkroom tomorrow, and I’m very excited. Maybe I’m overpaying, but they never seem to come available around these parts, and this is a complete 4x5 setup including camera and enlarger for $500. He has holders for 35 and 6x7, but not sure about lenses, so I may have to buy a few enlarger lenses, but I am looking forward to removing computers from the photography process. (I spend 8-10 hours a day working on computers, the last thing I want to do for a hobby is use a computer.)
04-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There was a lot more available a decade or so ago. I got a 4X5 enlarge for $30 that had been donated by the city police, got a darkroom for the sink for 30 bucks, 4 current top end enlarging lenses for free and a 5×7 Elwood enlarge for free.
04-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Who uses this type of equipment these days?

I see nothing unusual here, you should see Christopher Burkett's darkroom O.O The man shoot large format and do magnificent 40x50 cibachrome colour prints.

I have actually thought about doing film, but decided against it.

Film processing is very rewarding, it always makes me smile when I open the tank and see the negative.

04-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Who uses this type of equipment these days?
Ummmmm...me

Steve
04-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Maybe I’m overpaying, but they never seem to come available around these parts, and this is a complete 4x5 setup including camera and enlarger for $500.
Including camera? No you are not overpaying. Does the camera come with any lenses?

Steve
04-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I’m buying a complete darkroom tomorrow, and I’m very excited.
Are you going to be doing color?
04-20-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brings tears to my eyes. And I want to move to Idaho Falls too. Just haven't convinced the wife how great it would be. I haven"t thought of Cibachrome in a long, long time.

Every photographer should experience the magic of working in a darkroom and seeing a B&W print come to life. Digital photography is so dry and sterile by comparison. A well laid out darkroom is a joy to use.
04-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Every photographer should experience the magic of working in a darkroom and seeing a B&W print come to life.
Digital photography is so dry and sterile by comparison. A well laid out darkroom is a joy to use.

Agree 100%+.

Making wet prints of my own negatives in the darkroom is my absolute favorite part of the photographic process!

Chris
04-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Including camera? No you are not overpaying. Does the camera come with any lenses?

Steve
No lenses, but it seems you can get them for not too much

It turns out there was two enlargers included in the deal. Both Omegas, one was a D2 with a variable condenser head, the other was a D3 or D4 (can’t tell) with a color head. The later enlarger is kind of f-ed up the autofocus mechanism is tweaked, but the D2 is in great shape and fully functional, and the color head will move over.

I doubt I’ll do color for a while. It’s been 20 years since I printed with someone else’s equipment, so I need some time to start with the easy stuff.
04-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have all of my darkroom equipment (except for my negative developing equipment) stowed in boxes. They have been for many years as I’ve not had a place to set it up. But we are selling our house and moving in a couple of months and the house I’m looking at will have the perfect place for a darkroom. I’ve almost convinced the wife we NEED that house...
04-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
maw
Pentaxian

I still own the Philips PCS 130/150 Tri-one-colour with two lenses the Componon f/5.6 80mm and the Rodenstok Rodagon f/2.8 50mm,
I sold the PCS-130 control unit and color analyzer, maybe now I will print in B/W

Besides the B/W I worked a lot with the Cibachrome and an Agfa acetate support that disappeared shortly after, with the Cibachrome you get very bright and saturated colors.

Unfortunately the digital is erasing a bit of all this.