Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What device to choose for slides

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello guys,

This question will have been asked hundreds of times, but each question has several questions, so please, I ask you to help me with your choice.

I should scan a number (approx. 1000~2000) of slides before they deteriorate further. I have three alternatives,

1) I own a Minolta Scan Dual scanner (SCSI-2) only for slides and negatives used in very few occasions

2) An Epson Perfection 1660 Photo (for normal scans + negatives and/or slides) is still boxed.

3) A third solution, I could buy a Pentax Auto Bellows A + Pentax Slide Copier A, to use with a DSRL that should keep the automatisms with the DSLR.

Which is in your opinion the most reliable solution qualitatively.

Thank you for your suggestions.

04-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I should scan a number (approx. 1000~2000) of slides before they deteriorate further. I have three alternatives,

For 1000-2000 slides, it is going to take you FOREVER with the Minolta Dual Scanner, which has a slight IQ edge over the Epson flatbed option, which is a bit faster.

If you have a good full spectrum light source, I would say the Pentax Auto Bellows A + Pentax Slide Copier A is going to give you both the best quality and speed once you're set up. Run a few tests with different manual white balance settings before getting in too far.

You may also want to shoot both DNG and jpegs.
04-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's also a forth option... pay someone else to do it.

I wonder if batch slide scanners are available to rent...
04-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Use a commercial scanning service.

Steve

04-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CAVEAT!!! The Pentax bellows plus slide copier was designed to work with a 50mm lens mounted on a FF body. If you are using an APS-C body it will be difficult to get the system set up so it will cover the entirety of a 35mm slide without cropping all around. I tried with my K3 + 35mm; 40mm, 50mm and 50mm enlarging lenses and could not get full coverage of a 35mm slide. HOWEVER: It can be done. When this topic came up on a different thread and I posted this caveat, someone posted a workable system using an APS-C body, but he had to use additional adapters & spacers, exactly what I do not recall. If you have a K1 and a 50mm lens, it will work fine. Best set up: K1 + 50mm SMCA macro.

AND BTW: You have it easy. I have 80,000 or more chromes.
04-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
There's also a forth option... pay someone else to do it.

I wonder if batch slide scanners are available to rent...
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Use a commercial scanning service.
Commercial scanning service, I thought, my cousin also has a laboratory but I would like to realize them personally, although the work is very boring.

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
CAVEAT!!! The Pentax bellows plus slide copier was designed to work with a 50mm lens mounted on a FF body.

I didn't think about the 1:1 ratio, in fact sometimes I forget to be in the digital age, so with the Bellows and the Sigma macro 100mm, I don't get to cover
area concerned, spacer rings are likely to be needed. So buying it would be useful only if I had the K1 /K1 II or another full frame Pentax that does not exist yet.

Thanks
04-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently made the same journey...here is a review of the Slide Copier 1X K that I now use. And yes, capable of cranking out a couple hundred in a half day (capture only, additional PP may add time).

PENTAX Slide Holder 1x, K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It looks to me that the Nikon unit(s) currently on the market should be adaptable to your situation with an easy to buy item. The Pentax Slide Copier 1X is pretty scarce...

04-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

The Spiratone dupliscope isn't as hard to find as the Pentax. Similar deal. You need a T-mount adapter. Unfortunately these don't go below 1× magnification so you won't get full coverage unless you use a full frame body. The average price on ebay seems to be around $25 USD and range from $10-55.

Spiratone Vario-dupliscope II Slide Duplicator for T-mount | eBay

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/using-a-slide-duplicator-4813

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-20-2018 at 08:55 PM.
04-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
here is a review of the Slide Copier 1X K
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Spiratone dupliscope isn't as hard to find as the Pentax
Good both, the Pentax is not easy to find right away, but I found one that does not cost much and is K-mount, I think it can adapt to full frame reflexes but also to APS-C,
which is what I'm interested in at the moment.

Zoom slide copier

Thank you all.
04-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This describes an automated slide-digitizing setup using your camera. They sell them, but also seem to rent them on a weekly basis.

K-1 for converting slides ? - PentaxForums.com
04-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
This describes an automated slide-digitizing setup using your camera. They sell them, but also seem to rent them on a weekly basis.
Nice and quick, but maybe a little expensive