Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #16

If you have or download Nik Collectionʻs Silver Efex Pro 2, with any given color image, you can preview the contrast, dynamic range, and tonal response of Acros 100 with other films like Pan F. Youʻll see that Acros was unique and not at all like Pan F."

As much as I like Silver Efex, am I the only one who finds the film simulations to have little to no resemblance to the films they purport to simulate?

05-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Another PanF in Rodinal

05-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamin-b Quote

As much as I like Silver Efex, am I the only one who finds the film simulations to have little to no resemblance to the films they purport to simulate?
You have to ask yourself. Is the software simulating the film developed in D76, Rodinal or say a pyro staining developer for example? Who knows.
05-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamin-b Quote
If you have or download Nik Collectionʻs Silver Efex Pro 2, with any given color image, you can preview the contrast, dynamic range, and tonal response of Acros 100 with other films like Pan F. Youʻll see that Acros was unique and not at all like Pan F."

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You have to ask yourself. Is the software simulating the film developed in D76, Rodinal or say a pyro staining developer for example? Who knows.
Both excellent points. From my experience, if you use a generic developer like XTOL, or a specialized one like Acufine or Rodinal, the Silver Efex Pro 2 renderings become less accurate. But for example if you use D76 with Tri-X, ID-11 with Pan F/FP4/HP5, Tmax Dev. with Tmax or DD-X with Delta, etc, they are more accurate.

But there are more developers, dilution, and processing techniques that can skew any given emulsion that the digital simulator is only really giving us a relative rendering and not an absolute one.

05-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

In my experience the film most similar to Acros in results is T-Max 100. I still prefer Acros though and will miss it when it's gone. I plan to give Delta 100 another chance to see how it does, I've only ever shot one roll and that was years ago.
05-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
In my experience the film most similar to Acros in results is T-Max 100

Nice discussion, gents. BTW, I had thought about T-Max as well--especially if I really fall down the rabbit hole and start shooting 4x5 as well as 120.
05-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Delta 100 is a good film, but I’d agree that Tmax would be closer. I have some Tmax and some Portra in 120 to work on next.

But with all this talk, I had to go and order a 100’ roll of Pan F for my 35mm endeavors.